Video File Encoding Holy Grail

sarcilla

Reaction score
I think with the high capacity of memory cards these days we can all agree that the holy grail of desktop/home theater/Nexus One integration is to find some size/codec combination that works for all three. This minimizes how much converting needs to be done as well as storage space needed.

I'm using Handbrake and have been converting my library to above-DVD quality .m4v files using the "Apple TV" profile. When I watch this on my 1080p projector and 10-foot screen, I know it's better than DVD quality and have no complaints about the quality. Will my files (which run roughly 1GB/hr) play well on the Droid (that I receive tomorrow)?

I've been thinking lately, though, that perhaps recording my movies (I use the Hauppauge PVR) at 1280x720p and then having Handbrake keep the original size yet convert them to h.264 might be the way to go. Does someone know if 1280x720 h.264 files play well on the Droid? My initial tests are finding that files run roughly 1.5GB/hr in 1280x720 h.264.

Also, does anyone know of a way to maintain at least Dolby Digital in h.264 files using Handbrake (or any other conversion software)? Since I want my files to be good for either mobile or home use, it'd be great if I could maintain at least Dolby Digital 5.1 in audio.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I'm using Handbrake and have been converting my library to above-DVD quality .m4v files using the "Apple TV" profile. When I watch this on my 1080p projector and 10-foot screen, I know it's better than DVD quality and have no complaints about the quality.
You cant get above DVD quality, unless your ripping from a bluray. Also keep in mind converting, under any condition, losses some quality. The reason you may think its above DVD Quality, is because most DVD Players today scale the picture up from 480 to 720 or 1080, supposedly increasing file size, which I think is marketing ploy, but that not the point here.

Will my files (which run roughly 1GB/hr) play well on the Droid (that I receive tomorrow)?
I highly doubt it. Im not sure of the droids resolutions, but i doubt its 720 so your over achieving in this aspect. Secondly, I highly doubt the Droid, or any mobile phone, can playback 720p videos. The power simply isnt there in such a small platform.

I've been thinking lately, though, that perhaps recording my movies (I use the Hauppauge PVR) at 1280x720p
Why are you recording DVDs via a capture card?

Also, does anyone know of a way to maintain at least Dolby Digital in h.264 files using Handbrake (or any other conversion software)? Since I want my files to be good for either mobile or home use, it'd be great if I could maintain at least Dolby Digital 5.1 in audio.
Simply use AC3 for your audio codec.

Personally I think your wasting your time trying to find a medium. Either encode for Droid, or encode for Home.

OP
S

sarcilla

Reaction score
Thanks for the response!

First, let me clarify that I'm recording Blu Ray movies from my PS3 onto my computer via the Hauppauge PVR. This allows me to record at either 1080i, 720p, or 480p resolutions via a component video connection. I had been recording at 1080i (4GB/hr) then converting via Handbrake to Apple TV quality (960x400=2.35:1).

Second, I read on the Nexus One forum that others were able to get the Nexus One to play 720p videos. I realize that the screen resolution on the Droid is only 800x480, but my idea of the Holy Grail of having one file size could be realized if the Droid was able to play a larger 1280x720 or 960x400 file. If noone has tried this, I should be able to try it later tonight and re-post what I find. Moreover, if the Droid doesn't play even my Apple TV files, then it will be a compelling argument for me to send the Droid back in favor of the Nexus One when it comes out for Verizon.

If anyone has the exact setting to use to maintain Dolby Digital using Handbrake, I would appreciate it. I have played with the AC3, passthru, and other settings before to no avail. I play my files through TVersity or PS3 Media Server onto my PS3 and my receiver is able to show the signal type for validation.

D

dvdcatalyst

The 5.1 part on the Droid would be an issue. I doubt that the Droid hardware is capable of decoding it. The hardware chip might have support for it, but it has to be enabled by the software for it to be used.

As for the "one file for all" approach, it should be possible. I get that question fairly often, and while possible, I would not recommend it for a number of reasons, mainly the following:

You will always compromise to make the files play on the weakest of your devices. The other, more powerful devices, will end up with a file that is limited in some form.

The huge file size your movies will take up on the memorycard. If you are using bluray rips already, either Tversity will stream them directly, or a slight re-encode to a supported format without any major quality-loss will be sufficient to make them work with it, basically results in the same 5-8GB in filesize. Problem is, memorycards are fat32 formatted, which will not let you store files on it that exceed 4GB (or 2GB, not sure what the Droid's limit is) Untill a different filesystem is supported, you will end up having to split your files.