Problems playing video (mp4/m4v)

Reaction score
DVD Catalyst doesnt really work for trimming video.

What do people use to edit their videos if need be?

thanks

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Update:

using Handbrake 0.9.3, default iphone setting... changed resolution to 800x480, and the rips now work on the Droid well...

need to try out some more rips later, to see if 854x480 works.

D

dvdcatalyst

DVD Catalyst doesnt really work for trimming video.
The main intention for the trimming capabilities of DVD Catalyst is for removing the start/end credits from movies to save some file-space. This was quite useful when the 1GB cards were still selling for $50, but now, it's hardly ever used.

CaptainMorgan

Reaction score
Handbrake keeps crashing for some reason on mp4's havnt tried iphone mode. I use Visual Hub Its also free and from the same makers of handbrake. My settings are 854x480, a 1000kbps bitrate for video, and 128 for audio. It looks beautiful by the way, it also lets you up the resolution even though the source is less unlike handbrake. I also had alot of problems and spent alot of time working on it. Hopefully someone comes across this and see's what I'm talking about, video's are glitch free also. I'm using meridian for my video player on the droid. Here's the link to Visualhub since its hard to find since it got discontinued.
RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

Last edited:

thx2net

Reaction score
I created an m4v and using "Astro" on the droid held down the file name, the pop up menu shows "open as", click on open as then click "Video".. it will play the M4V

I used Handbrake latest version, set width to 720 and height to 400, but to keep the file size under 500MB in Video tab I selected "Quality" --> Target Size = 450
it came out just over 450 and looks fine.

I saved the settings as a Default set called Droid.. works fine..

Currently doing same movie as mp4 and will see how quality compares.

MRex21

Reaction score
I just discovered this. I'm trying to use Handbrake and it just plain and simple isn't working.

DroidX

Handbrake 0.9.5

All I want to do is rip my DVD's into .avi format so they'll play on my phone. Handbrake offers two (two!) formats. MP4 (which is actually something weird m4v) and MKV. What am I doing wrong?

D

dvdcatalyst

I just discovered this. I'm trying to use Handbrake and it just plain and simple isn't working.

DroidX

Handbrake 0.9.5

All I want to do is rip my DVD's into .avi format so they'll play on my phone. Handbrake offers two (two!) formats. MP4 (which is actually something weird m4v) and MKV. What am I doing wrong?

Handbrake needs something else in order to convert directly from DVD. On A Mac, installing the free VLC player will make it work, on Windows, you will have to use DVDfab or AnyDVD or something similar.
In addition to that, make sure that in Handbrake's settings you have at least CABAC turned off.

If you do a search for Handbrake in this section of the forums, you should be able to find some guides.

MRex21

Reaction score
Handbrake needs something else in order to convert directly from DVD. On A Mac, installing the free VLC player will make it work, on Windows, you will have to use DVDfab or AnyDVD or something similar.
In addition to that, make sure that in Handbrake's settings you have at least CABAC turned off.

If you do a search for Handbrake in this section of the forums, you should be able to find some guides.

I'm so lost. You'd think in 2011, in the age of 'smart phones' that someone would have solved this already without having to do a 'dub of a dub of a dub' to get a movie on a smart phone.

This can't be this complicated.

D

dvdcatalyst

I'm so lost. You'd think in 2011, in the age of 'smart phones' that someone would have solved this already without having to do a 'dub of a dub of a dub' to get a movie on a smart phone.

This can't be this complicated.

Have a look at my signature.

Its not complicated at all.

MRex21

Reaction score
Have a look at my signature.

Its not complicated at all.

Point well taken. I purchased DVD Catalyst 4. I tested it out on Cloverfield. I'm loading it to my Droid X right now. I'll let you know how it works. So far, I really like the program. Very intuitive.

MRex21

Reaction score
Point well taken. I purchased DVD Catalyst 4. I tested it out on Cloverfield. I'm loading it to my Droid X right now. I'll let you know how it works. So far, I really like the program. Very intuitive.

And...

...it's working perfectly! Thank you!