Video: Droid Navigation VS Mercedes Benz Navi

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Another vid from Salomondrin showing the driod navigation VS the built in Mercedes Benz navigation system...

pretty impressed at how it was more accurate then the Mercedes... it did loose the GPS location for a few seconds but it corrected itself fairly quick

[video=youtube;1AdCpE4aBJI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AdCpE4aBJI]YouTube - Motorola Droid Navigation Vs Mercedes Benz Navigation[/video]

Getaphixx

Reaction score
So good I reposted that on my Facebook...

127,000$ car.. and the droid has better Turn by Turn..

OUCH!!!! :r_c:

medicTHREE

Reaction score
Remember that the Mercedes has an external GPS antenna too, so if you place the droid in a poor position it could suffer.

Where we really win is with updated google maps. This helps me a lot as I am a paramedic and will use this nav system for peculiar addresses. My current nav system really fails for my purposes.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Remember that the Mercedes has an external GPS antenna too, so if you place the droid in a poor position it could suffer.

Where we really win is with updated google maps. This helps me a lot as I am a paramedic and will use this nav system for peculiar addresses. My current nav system really fails for my purposes.

I mean you'd have to put it in a really really poor position, like maybe the trunk. Everytime i've ever used the VZnav, even with like 1 bar i still get amazing location, and updates to the maps.

medicTHREE

Reaction score

I mean you'd have to put it in a really really poor position, like maybe the trunk. Everytime i've ever used the VZnav, even with like 1 bar i still get amazing location, and updates to the maps.

Obviously not since it lost location during the video. Hell, in the middle of Down Town Minneapolis my Storm and Garmin GPS units loose signal sitting on my dash(most GPS units will...).

GPS signal is relative to the number of satellites you are receiving. If you start dropping satellites your accuracy drops until the phone can't process the signal anymore. If you have it sitting in a cup holder, say, it could easily lose signal from time to time. Using the window mount should protect you from this.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
and BMW is now allowing Google maps to be emailed to thier cars. Namely the 7 series but soon all models will be supported. My my how times have changed

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
One slight advantage the Droid has - it does not really need a GPS signal to operate. You get use the mobile network to get your position. However, you must chose one or the other. It will not automatically switch if it loses a GPS signal. Would be cool if it did. Edited excerpt from the User's Manual:

Set your phone to determine your location using GPS satellite signals (highly accurate, but uses battery power) or using the mobile network (less accurate, but conserves battery power). Your location is shown on the map as a circle. The bigger the circle, the less accurate the location.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
One slight advantage the Droid has - it does not really need a GPS signal to operate. You get use the mobile network to get your position. However, you must chose one or the other. It will not automatically switch if it loses a GPS signal. Would be cool if it did. Edited excerpt from the User's Manual:

Set your phone to determine your location using GPS satellite signals (highly accurate, but uses battery power) or using the mobile network (less accurate, but conserves battery power). Your location is shown on the map as a circle. The bigger the circle, the less accurate the location.

Using mobile network triangulation is not an option for navigation(the topic of this discussion). It can be off by as much as a few miles. That isn't even good for me when I'm looking for a place to eat inside of a metro area.

Most phones have this as an option(all my BB's did) and it is far from impressive. Second, my experience tells me that keeping GPS on for infrequent searches doesn't use much battery.

RayPaganJr

Reaction score
Well, from what I see I like the nav system that came with my Charger. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it. At least I know if something happens to the one in my car, I can use the Droid.

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
Best advantage to having the nav on your phone?

You're riding as a passenger in someone else's car that doesn't. Or for that matter, in a rental.