WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Video Call All Day With Tango

vidcall.jpg

The iPhone was released late last June and one of the biggest features was the Facetime video calling ability, well Android has something similar to that now. This video calling solution is called Tango, and it is a free cross platform application for Android and iPhone users. It allows you to call the other party with either voice or video and you can even choose which camera to use for that. Unlike Facetime for the iPhone 4, it works on 3G and can also work off your back camera, so people like me that own a Droid X can still use it.

There is nothing more to say about this except how awesome it sounds, and that I will be downloading it and using it till a Skype solution comes to the table.

I think Video calling is very cool, I do it when I am on my laptop on Skype and am looking forward to when it becomes more popular with people so devices will come with front facing camera's.

News via: IntoMobile

Last edited:

IanG

Reaction score
Hahahahaha, if only the video quality was as good as the pictures above show.

One can dream, can't they?

droidilac

Reaction score
Yeah, I am also wondering are there any fees and does it apply to your calling plans minutes?

I was wondering the same thing so I downloaded the app. I mean it was free!!!! They also have a very nice and usefull FAQ...

It works over your WiFi, 3G, OR 4G connection so it s a "Data" app...

The pic quality isnt the greatest. At least we are starting to go somewhere. Yes having 2 cameras would be nice. If you dont care about seeing the other person just face the back of your phone so your camera can see you. IDK im sure somebody will appreciate this app and maybe make improvements????

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a Co-Worker with the Evo and one with the ip4g...I will get a good test on this application and bring back a decent report :wink:

phatkat66

Reaction score
Plz fix the title its not "TangP" its "TangO".

Can't wait to go home and try this on my Dx

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
We were actually able to make use of it with my Original Droid and a friends ip3G...taking into consideration neither have a front facing camera the app works pretty good

ColinZack

Reaction score
Fring does the same thing, as well as including a messaging client. Honestly, its cool, but who wants to talk to someone while looking at the back of your phone, and thus not be able to see the other person. Two people with no front facing cameras could be using this program, both looking at the back of their phones, and neither would have any idea that the other couldn't see them. It'd basically just be a phone call.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Two people with no front facing cameras could be using this program, both looking at the back of their phones, and neither would have any idea that the other couldn't see them. It'd basically just be a phone call.
That's true, and funny...it was still fun to mess with though and would be nice if you have kids and a parent is out of town :wink:

rooster.droid

Reaction score
Two people with no front facing cameras could be using this program, both looking at the back of their phones, and neither would have any idea that the other couldn't see them. It'd basically just be a phone call.

Heading to asia in a couple of weeks. Plan to use fring and a mirror to see. I know not as cool as the front facing camera but should do in a pinch.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
It's a great idea, and the app works great for video calling - doesn't work great as an app, though.

App is always running and cannot be killed - it simply "respawns". It doesn't just keep running, it keeps jumping to the foreground and interrupting whatever else you are doing. It's sure to be a battery-killer to leave it installed, so I removed it. Maybe I'll try it again when they finish the app.

yahwarrior

Reaction score
This works good on the Evo4g. The video stream lags slighty but better than Fring or Quick.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
It's a great idea, and the app works great for video calling - doesn't work great as an app, though.

App is always running and cannot be killed - it simply "respawns". It doesn't just keep running, it keeps jumping to the foreground and interrupting whatever else you are doing. It's sure to be a battery-killer to leave it installed, so I removed it. Maybe I'll try it again when they finish the app.

I can't edit my post, so I'll reply to add - I just looked at the Tango blog, and they claim to have fixed the pop-to-foreground issue, I'm going to try it out again