Very deceptive advertising

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
Is there a 5gb data limit on the Droid from verizon?

I thought it was unlimited like ATT iPhone?

Right now Verizon's only data cap is for tethering. If you are just using the regular data on the phone their is no cap.

Technically, that's not correct. There's a 5GB cap all the way around. Trust me as someone that's been kicked off of data plans twice for exceeding that limit.

OK, my first question is....WTF were you doing to hit 5 GB on a phone?!?!?

Second, I know they can suspend your data plan for a month if you are using excessive data (suspected of tethering without paying), but they don't start hitting you with overages or anything.

Last edited:

xjman349

Reaction score
Right now Verizon's only data cap is for tethering. If you are just using the regular data on the phone their is no cap.

Technically, that's not correct. There's a 5GB cap all the way around. Trust me as someone that's been kicked off of data plans twice for exceeding that limit.

Second, I know they can suspend your data plan for a month if you are using excessive data (suspected of tethering), but they don't start hitting you with overages or anything.

You are exactly right. We would never kick you from a plan. EVER. With mobile broadband connect, if you go over your 5g allotment you are charged overage on the new plans and on the old plans we would add a feature to your account called PFO. That would basically slow down your connection after hitting the 5g cap. We would never kick someone off of a data plan. If you go over thats just money in the bank.

dean.collins

Reaction score
5gb is hardly anything when it comes to smartphones.

however i did just call verizon and their response was the $29.99 plan is unlimited data.

We'll see. I'm a heavy user of data on my plan. If i get booted for using too mmuch data then i'll be cancelling my contract and moving back to ATT where unlimited does mean unlimited.

xjman349

Reaction score
You could have saved yourself the call and just asked me considering you will get the same info. In case you didn't already know I work for Verizon Wireless. lol

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score

Second, I know they can suspend your data plan for a month if you are using excessive data (suspected of tethering), but they don't start hitting you with overages or anything.

You are exactly right. We would never kick you from a plan. EVER. With mobile broadband connect, if you go over your 5g allotment you are charged overage on the new plans and on the old plans we would add a feature to your account called PFO. That would basically slow down your connection after hitting the 5g cap. We would never kick someone off of a data plan. If you go over thats just money in the bank.

Been with them for over 7 years. The first few times, there were a couple of warnings. Then, when I couldn't finally connect, I called and they had terminated the data portion. After a period of time, I was allowed back on. It happened again 3 years later (around 4 years ago.).

Perhaps they've changed policy, but yeah, it has happened to me, so just going off of historical data.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
5gb is hardly anything when it comes to smartphones.

however i did just call verizon and their response was the $29.99 plan is unlimited data.

We'll see. I'm a heavy user of data on my plan. If i get booted for using too mmuch data then i'll be cancelling my contract and moving back to ATT where unlimited does mean unlimited.

yeah they may have changed it to true unlimited.. either that would be new, or i am thinking of a different service.
i'm pretty sure whatever data you use on the phone, from the network is unlimited. i think it's when you tether it that the 5gb clock starts counting. kinda a non-issue for the droid right now anyway, but that's my understanding.

OP
New2u

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just read the entire terms and conditions on verizon's unlimited data for phones, and it is correct that there is no limit as set forth by the terms and conditions, there is how ever a limit for their mobile broadband. It is the same way ATT has theirs set up, unlimited for the iphone, but not unlimited for mobile broadband.

The same confusion happens on ATT also, people were saying that the Iphone unlimited was capped at 5GB also, but that was only if your plan included broadband access.

xjman349

Reaction score
Yeah I am just wondering how you were able to acquire 5g of data 7 years ago lol. I cant speak to that far back but I can speak to the current, and a bit in the past.

xjman349

Reaction score
I just read the entire terms and conditions on verizon's unlimited data for phones, and it is correct that there is no limit as set forth by the terms and conditions, there is how ever a limit for their mobile broadband. It is the same way ATT has theirs set up, unlimited for the iphone, but not unlimited for mobile broadband.

I love when people prove me right lol makes me a happy panda bear.

If only you could tether on the iPhone lol. Too bad you can't cause the network cant support it.

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
Yeah I am just wondering how you were able to acquire 5g of data 7 years ago lol. I cant speak to that far back but I can speak to the current, and a bit in the past.

I'll have to tell you about it sometime. Not in a forum however ;)

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

the 5gb limit applies to the MiFi thing too, which is a bit easier when you have five devices connected.. but i've done some gaming using the MiFi for hours on end with three people connected, probably 9 or 10 hours over the course of three or four days, and we couldn't get it above 2gb.. so i think the only way to kill 5gb is torrents

OP
New2u

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I love when people prove me right lol makes me a happy panda bear.

If only you could tether on the iPhone lol. Too bad you can't cause the network cant support it.

Yeah I didn't see your post before I did mine, there was like 4-5 new posts on here after i refreshed. Was just trying point it out. :) glad to prove you right though.

xjman349

Reaction score
There were a ton of people going over that cap when netflix first released the ability to stream and people went nuts with it. Its pretty difficult to go over the 5g but it does happen quite a bit.