Very deceptive advertising

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry if i shouldn't post this here, but i thought it was a very interesting to see people make this mistake (seen it more then just this one instance). I debunked it like 2 seconds after he posted it but still interesting none the less.

The Misinformed Not From This Forum said:
Originally posted by Glyphon:
the main problem with the att coverage map used in the verizon commercials is that it is blatantly misleading.

verizon 3g map
http://www.verizonwireless.com...ageLocatorController

att 3g map
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

to get the att map shown in commercial, click on the "mobile tv" link above the map on the att page.

verizon is comparing their 3g voice+data coverage to att's mobile tv coverage, in effort to make att's coverage look terrible, when in actuality, they are for all intents and purposes, the same. not an att fanboy (does such a thing exist?). just pointing out misinformation. i'd do the same thing to att if they tried such a stunt.

What you will notice on at&t's coverage is that if you zoom in even 1 zoom bar on their zoom function, it opens up their real 3g coverage area (which you have to enable). People seem to be misunderstanding the differences, because at&t wants people to think they are getting something much better then what they are.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was wondering about that, thanks for the post!

J

JohnDroid

I knew that the coverage couldn't be that bad, but I don't think anyone is denying that Verizon does have better coverage then any other network provider out there?

OP
New2u

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
admin did you see at&t's real 3g coverage.. it's terrible. it really is the map that verizon shows. at&t just hides it behind smoke and mirrors so people don't get to see the real map, because if they saw the real map they might not sign up for their service.

dean.collins

Reaction score
admin did you see at&t's real 3g coverage.. it's terrible. it really is the map that verizon shows. at&t just hides it behind smoke and mirrors so people don't get to see the real map, because if they saw the real map they might not sign up for their service.

I dont think coverage is the real issue - i mean who cares if there is 3g in montana - the issue is throughput and at the moment ATT have an issue with the number of iphone users.

Lets see if Verizon can handle the massive growth on their network over 2 years that Droid might bring.

We'll be watching.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I dont think coverage is the real issue - i mean who cares if there is 3g in montana - the issue is throughput and at the moment ATT have an issue with the number of iphone users.

Lets see if Verizon can handle the massive growth on their network over 2 years that Droid might bring.

We'll be watching.

i'm curious about this too.. verizon's network is pretty groovy, but i bet we get some kind of limitation if there is a lot of growth. like maybe a 3gb cap on data instead of 5gb, or something like that..

i bet our montana residents care.

OP
New2u

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well if you can't get 3g service in Montana, people wanting an Iphone is Montana might want to know that, but AT&T doesn't like to show that. AT&T's infrastructure is not nearly the size of verizon's is. It would be fairly easy for verizon to do upgrades on an infrastructure that already exists compared to a network that doesn't exist.

dean.collins

Reaction score
Is there a 5gb data limit on the Droid from verizon?

I thought it was unlimited like ATT iPhone?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

actually, i'm not 100% certain exactly where that applies. but i'm fairly positive it is only on tethered devices (which the droid doesn't support right now) or wireless cards. i mentioned that to say that we might get extra charges somewhere if they have to do some upgrading, i wasn't talking about the droid specifically. HAVING SAID THAT, if they do allow tethering on the droid, 5gb is a LOT of data unless you are torrenting music/movies

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
I'd like to see it too, but I think VZW may have the overhead to take on additional load. All of my wireless devices (2 netbooks and a connection card) through them consistently connect at 2+MB. To me, that's pretty damn amazing. This is indoors.

Worst is at my place of employment where I might top out at 1.6MB.

xjman349

Reaction score

We'll be watching.

VZW puts more money back into their network than any other wireless carrier. They put 1 billion dollars into their network every 60 days. Your droid will have MMS on release because the network will support it. iPhone still cant tether because the network cant support it.

OfTheDamned

Reaction score

Right now Verizon's only data cap is for tethering. If you are just using the regular data on the phone their is no cap.

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score

Right now Verizon's only data cap is for tethering. If you are just using the regular data on the phone their is no cap.

Technically, that's not correct. There's a 5GB cap all the way around. Trust me as someone that's been kicked off of data plans twice for exceeding that limit.

dean.collins

Reaction score
Well that just plain sucks.

I think i'll be sticking with AT&T if that is the case. The downloads might be slower but what the point if i cant download what i want.

5gb is like nothing.

xjman349

Reaction score

Technically, that's not correct. There's a 5GB cap all the way around. Trust me as someone that's been kicked off of data plans twice for exceeding that limit.

Technically it is correct. your above statment is not correct and ofthedamned is 100% correct.