Verizon's 'Can you hear me now?' Spokesperson Works for Sprint Now

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

"Can you hear me now?" That was the video commercial catch-phrase that made Verizon famous for quite a few years. For those who don't remember, actor Paul Marcarelli would show up in a strange and random area asking that question. The concept of the ad was brilliant and was meant to showcase how much more reliable Verizon's network was than any of their competitors. It was a simple and effective way to cement Verizon's reputation in the public consciousness.

The ad campaign worked so well, it has left a lasting impression that Verizon has the best network, regardless of whether that is true anymore. Marcarelli is back, but this time he is pitching for a different team. Apparently Sprint is paying him to claim that Sprint's network reliability is within 1% of Verizon's across the nation. Of course, he is just a paid spokesperson, so there's not guarantee what he is saying is completely accurate. Despite that, it could be an effective ad strategy for Sprint to bring him out of "retirement" for their team. What do you folks think?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think this is a clever marketing ploy, but I really don't see him having the "success" making commercials for Sprint that he did for VZW. Seems like, once the novelty that he was the "Can you hear me now?" guy wears off, they'll be out of ideas for what to do with him in commercials.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Sprint must be high on drugs if they think they are within 1% of Verizon network reliability. 19% maybe but not anywhere near 1% unless all you care about are low quality voice conversations.

I have phones on both networks in my house. Calls on sprint sound the person on other line is on the moon compared to vzw HD calls. Yeah they come through in Metro area but if you move out in rural no man's land sprint is roaming on Verizon's towers.
Data is even worth. At home where I get 50-60mbps on Verizon, Sprint is 3g at 0.35mbps! And this is in Detroit Metro area!

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Isn't he in jail?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

You're thinking of the blonde guy from Dell:

dell-dude-1.jpg

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X