Verizon's Android 2.0 Version of the HTC HD2?

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Looks like that unknown HTC handset may be the Android equivalent of the HD2—complete with speedy 1GHz Snapdragon processor (like the upcoming Acer Liquid). And it's rumored to hit Verizon by year's end as the HTC Passion.

The HD2 is probably the most interesting WinMo 6.5 phone out there (even though it won't arrive in the U.S until early next year, possibly on T-Mobile). Besides the 1GHz Snapdragon processor, it's got that huge 4.3-inch capacitive touchscreen—so an Android 2.0 version sounds pretty exciting. If the rumor is true, of course.

UnLockr, who dug up the original mystery pics, believes the Passion is the CDMA version of the HTC Dragon, and suggests the hardware buttons are similar to the Motorola Droid handset because Verizon wants to have their Android devices controlled as uniformly as possible. That kinda makes sense, especially now that we're hearing "Droid" may actually represent the name of Verizon's entire Android series.

We'll know more after Verizon's Droid event on Wednesday, but fingers crossed on the Passion. A beautiful big screen on what could be the first truly fast Android phone available. Verizon could get on a roll with this whole Android thing.

(Source: http://gizmodo.com/5390002/is-this-verizons-android-20-version-of-the-htc-hd2)

J

JohnDroid

No physical keyboard again. However, that's a great looking screen and processor combination!

OP
danDroid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How does that processor compare to what the motorola droid has?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
From my research there are major differences in the two implementations. While the Moto droid does only have a 550Mhz processor it also has it's own dedicated gpu or gpu/cpu combo (can't remember). Which unlike the iphone and if i read correctly the snapdragon as well. The Iphone and the new snapdragon are all SoC, System on a Chip. Which means it handles all the cpu + gpu requests. To me I equate this to having a computer with an integrated graphics card is never as good as having one with it's own dedicated card.

I am in much favor of the way, and do believe this is going to be the way of the future for phones, just as it has been with pc's. That's just my 2cents though.