Verizon's 4G LTE Hits 500th Market Milestone; Initial Network Rollout is Finished

cloudman7

Reaction score
Their are way more people on Verizon than on at&t so it is only right that they have faster speed. When Verizon first started I would see people's speed test and would see anywhere from 30 mb to 70 mb on average. In the bigger city's I see 5 to 15mb and in smaller city's I still see 20 to 35mb but if at&t ever get their network as good as Verizon and have as many customers as them then they may win speed test for now until LTEA comes out which will be close to true 4G speeds around 100mb and wider broadband spectrum.

guardlights

Reaction score
Big red's LTE network coverage should be viewed not just in terms of the footprint but the comparison of the signal strength to the 3g 1x foot print.
yes its nice to have LTE on the phone, but more often than not it is weaker than the 3G coverage, and can drop back to 3G. also in congested areas like cities and airports, It can be very slow. Having coverage is eye candy, performance over the footprint is what matters, they have a long way to go to get to that point. Many areas still require better RF coverage of existing LTE, and there are many areas that even if you have good signal, the supporting backbone just cant handle the network traffic. Try going to the Atlanta airport and using VZW LTE there. I am lucky to break 100Kbits with good signal. This airport is actually literally the busiest airport in the world. But VZW did not seem to plan for that when lighting up the LTE there.

Psykho

Reaction score
All I know is in Massachusetts I rarely see less than 10mbps down. It's usually between 10-20 and I even see 30s and 40s regularly with the occasional 50s...

guardlights

Reaction score
All I know is in Massachusetts I rarely see less than 10mbps down. It's usually between 10-20 and I even see 30s and 40s regularly with the occasional 50s...

Yup I get that. I am saying that you are in an area with a solid build out. if you travel around the country that is not the case. Yes, there is LTE but YMMV.

the phrase "LTE extended area" is code for maybe 1 or 2 bars. if the LTE drops out, the 3 g signal can be very strong. what this means is that they may have the footprint, but they have not fully built things out. over time hopefully they will add more coverage in areas like that. then they will have something to brag about

Psykho

Reaction score
I got a question. When I speedtest it says the server is in Boston but I'm 40 miles away from Boston. Does that mean I'm picking up a signal from there? Some times it says the server is in NH which is even further away...

guardlights

Reaction score
I got a question. When I speedtest it says the server is in Boston but I'm 40 miles away from Boston. Does that mean I'm picking up a signal from there? Some times it says the server is in NH which is even further away...

No, it is the cell site that picks up your phone onto the VZW backbone network. from there it is up to the VZW network routers to get it to the "internet" and then to a speed test server.

Psykho

Reaction score
No, it is the cell site that picks up your phone onto the VZW backbone network. from there it is up to the VZW network routers to get it to the "internet" and then to a speed test server.

Oh... That makes sense. Thanks

jseah

Reaction score
In Northern New Jersey where I work, LTE has gone in the toilet due to capacity issues. This area was one of the first areas to have LTE (had it since the Thunderbolt was released) and now it is so bad that my phone no longer connects to LTE. Occasionally LTE will light up on my phone, but as soon as it attempts a data connection, it drops down to 3G. Both LTE and 3G is so overloaded that many times, 3G will drop as well and the phone will go down to 1x.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
In Northern New Jersey where I work, LTE has gone in the toilet due to capacity issues. This area was one of the first areas to have LTE (had it since the Thunderbolt was released) and now it is so bad that my phone no longer connects to LTE. Occasionally LTE will light up on my phone, but as soon as it attempts a data connection, it drops down to 3G. Both LTE and 3G is so overloaded that many times, 3G will drop as well and the phone will go down to 1x.
Verizon LTE had gone down the toilet for a while now. I am still tied down with Verizon till June 2014. If by then they do not improve I will shop around.

jseah

Reaction score
Verizon LTE had gone down the toilet for a while now. I am still tied down with Verizon till June 2014. If by then they do not improve I will shop around.

Where I work in Northern NJ and where I live in the Hudson Valley, I haven't really had any issues until probably about two months ago.

Psykho

Reaction score

I had the thunderbolt and 4G day one and in Massachusetts my DNA is getting just as fast or faster speeds now and in more places. Barely ever goes to 3g and I've never seen 1x on my DNA.

jseah

Reaction score
The funny thing is when I am driving home from my office, I get full bars of LTE for most of the 50 mile drive.