verizon wont activate it......noob droid owner here

jay_d

Reaction score
i got my droid in the mail today.....decided it was awesome and time to activate it. called verizon gave them the phone code and they said no....its still activated from another user. I guess this means if i cant get the original owner to deactivate it that the meid is dirty and this thing is junk??

ive also heard the activation wont go through if you had a dumbphone (which i do) with no data plan. anyway this could be part of the problem?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i don't think the data plan thing would contribute although it's not a great idea to have a smart phone without a data plan. have you contacted the seller?

vzwtek

Reaction score
Contact seller, or enjoy living on wifi hotspots.

You could also see if you can activate it online and manually program it to your min and mdn and it will work for voice and text, then you could use wifi for data, no mms though.

OP
J

jay_d

Reaction score
yeah, i sent them an email, and the meid so that they could call verizon and get it fixed. If they dont i guess im gonna open an item dispute

Jordan8

Reaction score
i don't think the data plan thing would contribute although it's not a great idea to have a smart phone without a data plan. have you contacted the seller?

I don't either, I'm pretty sure Verizon will auto add a data package when you activate a smartphone.

Side thought, if it's still activated on his line... does data/calling & what not work? Lol. Maybe you bought one with a bad ESN #?

OP
J

jay_d

Reaction score
when you power it up it prompts to activate it, the phone itself is not activated, but verizon seems to think it is.

at least when i was on at&t this kinda thing couldnt happen......dropped calls and crappy service, but not this lol

tfotos

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity.. was your phone ebayed? I was thinking of getting my wife a used droid 2... guess I'll rethink that option.

Sent from my rooted Fascinate running SC 2.9.2 and Tapatalk.

OP
J

jay_d

Reaction score
yup it came off ebay. and at this point i wouldnt advise it

Jordan8

Reaction score
yup it came off . and at this point i wouldnt advise it

I would call Verizon & give them the ESN number(found under the battery) & ask them if it's bad or not. A lot of people sell phones on ebay that have bad ESN #'s which is why it's always good to check before you buy.

mack19318

Reaction score
Search a forum called xda. Look for how to turn your droid into a cricket service phone. Full data, 3g and way cheaper!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
J

jay_d

Reaction score
yup cricket doesnt work where i live

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
II just answered another person on how safe it is to buy on eBay. If this guy sold you a phone with a bad ESN then eBay or PayPal, if you used it, should be able to right the wrong.

People frequently buy the phone, then find out they can't afford the charges. So when they don't pay their bill the phone gets shut off and people pass their problem on to you. Or it's a stolen phone. Either way your only recourse is via eBay or PayPal.

Snow02

Reaction score
If it was advertised as having a good esn, submit a fraudulent sale ticket to ebay.

OP
J

jay_d

Reaction score
i opened an item dispute, so maybe im not stuck with this turd. The real killer here is that its in great shape and everything works awesome on it. I have a buddy that has a droid with a broken screen he said he would give me, so if all else fails it might be a parts phone

vzwtek

Reaction score
just swap the boards, would be alot easier than screen replacement on droid, then you can grab the esn in the programming menu. voila.