Can't activate droid 3 previous owner has unpaid balance

_Guy

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a very noobish question/issue... I recently purchased a Motorola Droid 3 off ebay, the phone is awesome however when I try to activate the phone, Verizon says that I can't because the previous owner has a balance on their account. I have done some research and this is called a bad ESN number? I'm new as I stated and I was wondering if there is any way around this? I have also done some research on this but i'm unclear as to exactly what I should do... I hope I didn't just get dooped :(

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
All you can do is file a claim with eBay and see if they will help you.... Other wise NEVER NEVER buy a used phone without verifying the ESN in free and clear......

OP
G

_Guy

Reaction score
so, unlocking/rooting/jailbreaking none of these methods will do anything for me? (i have never done any of this, just read up on them and what they do...)

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
so, unlocking/rooting/jailbreaking none of these methods will do anything for me? (i have never done any of this, just read up on them and what they do...)

No there are no legal ways of getting that phone to work with VZW until the seller pays their bill off with VZW..... You MIGHT be able to carrier unlock it and use it with another carrier but I highly doubt even that is possible...... I would contact eBay and file a claim.... I can't remember for sure but I thought they changed their policy on how they dealt with this.... I just don't recall if they started to help those who were taken advantage of or stopped helping them.... eBay took me to the cleaners about 6 years ago on a car I was selling and the buyer turned out to be a scam but eBay still charged me for the sale of the car... To this day I am still fighting with them and Paypal to take care of this......

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome _guy to the forum, as miller6386 stated file a claim asap with eBay, as of now you are the proud owner of a brick. Even if they supply the ESN and you call Verizon to verify, the seller can report it lost/stolen and when you try and activate it is now bricked. I always transfer them at Verizon, trying right now to acquire a HD, if they won't meet at a Verizon store beware. (Craig's list)

OP
G

_Guy

Reaction score
ddddddddamn, well I guess this is what I get for being uneducated in the ways of buying phones... I didn't want to pay verizon the $100 for the stupid warranty and look what I get hahaha fml and thank you guys for being so helpful! :)

It's sad there are so many damn scammers out there, but then again, I guess they are there because of fools like myself haha

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I feel ya, I hate cheats and cons. I always get the guy that's got to meet at night in a ghetto neighborhood. No thanks.

tkdunn

Reaction score
Go back and read the listing and make sure they make no mention of a bad esn. If not, proceed with a claim. If you paid with paypal initiate a claim via paypal. Choose item not as described. Explain in the claim that the seller represented the phone has being clear and upon trying to activate you found out that the esn is blocked due to non-payment. Paypal will instruct you to send the phone back to the seller. Put everything back in the package and take it to the post office. Insure the package and get delivery confirmation. You will need the tracking number for the claim. Paypal will refund your money upon verification via tracking number that the item was returned.