Verizon Wireless Brings 4G Lte to More Than 145 Markets by the End Of 2011

Kboss375

Reaction score
I'm glad 2 out of the 3 cities in Ct. Are our most dangerous cities. I wont be using 4g for a while lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Oh yeah Grand Rapids MI lol. I might just stick with 3G when the Bionic comes out. If I can...
It'll have a mandatory 4G contract, but it'll cover your 3G data. However, it'll be capped at the 4G level and counts against it.

PatrickJ

Reaction score
Buffalo is only half of an NFL city... The Bills play half of their games in Toronto.

The Bills do no play half their home games in TO. BTW...the TO games don't even sell out.

Cornell is a great area but really...before Buffalo?

You're right they play 8 games in 5 years in Toronto.. they also have played in San Antonio and England.

They'll lose the team to LA soon, maybe that's why no LTE.

LA is too big of a market not to have a team but we can't lose the only NFL team in NY state. BTW...LA lost two NFL teams so I wonder what really goes on there? lol

coreymm324

Reaction score
Wow, glad to see Ithica, NY (pop: 30,000) gets 4g before Buffalo, NY (pop: 270,000) way to go Verizon

Before Binghamton too. It's called Cornell University - population 21,000 + 100,000 for Ithaca metro area.

for realll! i live in Binghamton and granted its not as big as Buffalo, its still a pretty big area and id love to have me some 4G here. kind of a crossroads between Cuse, NYC, and Buff

Mallijr

Reaction score
Wow, glad to see Ithica, NY (pop: 30,000) gets 4g before Buffalo, NY (pop: 270,000) way to go Verizon

It is unfortunate, but did anyone stop to think about it from a business stand point and not a population point. Example, Verizon is already the number one service carrier for Buffalo, NY and ranks 3rd in Ithaca behind Nextel and Sprint. Therefor it makes more sense to develop 4g capabilities in underutilized markets like Ithaca. Chances are people who have Verizon in Buffalo are not going to drop it just because they do not get 4g right away, but there is a highly likely chance that many people in Ithaca may switch to Verizon from another carrier now that it has 4g coverage.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. I live in Richmond, 1 million people metro total area... nothing... ???

It's like they skipped this whole state on purpose. Really sucks. I live an hour away from Richmond and would be willing to visit more often if there was LTE there. Not even Virginia Beach. Major tourist place and nada...

Yeah I'm not happy either but it's probably because of the large military concentration. Then again the other places have military.

That's because it's all about NoVa :p

But in all seriousness I am surprised no where else in VA is getting LTE.

UNC

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. I live in Richmond, 1 million people metro total area... nothing... ???

It's like they skipped this whole state on purpose. Really sucks. I live an hour away from Richmond and would be willing to visit more often if there was LTE there. Not even Virginia Beach. Major tourist place and nada...

Yeah I'm not happy either but it's probably because of the large military concentration. Then again the other places have military.

The military has nothing to do with it. Fayettenam NC is getting coverage soon, and Ft Bragg is one of the largest installations on the planet.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Before Binghamton too. It's called Cornell University - population 21,000 + 100,000 for Ithaca metro area.

for realll! i live in Binghamton and granted its not as big as Buffalo, its still a pretty big area and id love to have me some 4G here. kind of a crossroads between Cuse, NYC, and Buff

Well, we got 3G pretty early. I know that we had it here over 4 years ago when I got my enV. I know that Erie, PA didn't get 3G until less than 2 years ago, probably only 1 year ago. There were smaller towns all around Erie (Corry, Edinboro) that had 3G long before Erie. Now Erie is getting 4G 1st half of this year, while Binghamton isn't getting it until sometime in 2012. There must be some business reason for these decisions, perhaps available spectrum or market share.

Mallijr

Reaction score

Well, we got 3G pretty early. I know that we had it here over 4 years ago when I got my enV. I know that Erie, PA didn't get 3G until less than 2 years ago, probably only 1 year ago. There were smaller towns all around Erie (Corry, Edinboro) that had 3G long before Erie. Now Erie is getting 4G 1st half of this year, while Binghamton isn't getting it until sometime in 2012. There must be some business reason for these decisions, perhaps available spectrum or market share.

Aggrreeeeeaaaadddd!!!

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Keep in mind that when they name cities, their service goes way beyond city limits apparently, as they only mentioned Tampa on a list but I get service all the way down here in St. Petersburg according to their 4G map. Not defending them, just saying...covers more people than you might think.

PikaCane

Reaction score
Yes, there is no Fayetteville in North Carolina. Fayettenam, yes, also known as Fedville to long-time residents. But this Fayetteville is a lie.

I am surprised that we are somehow getting five metro areas here this year, even if they are chaining cities together en masse. Why Raleigh and Durham but not Chapel Hill, though? I guess Duke and State beat Carolina ;-)

I've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Priority is like this, folks;

Airports, Technical Colleges/Businesses (for the same reason the airports are hot on the list), population centers, everywhere else. Military bases probably don't really rank in the top five because of that 19% government employee discount on the voice service, which is still their most lucrative business -- and the fact that businesses are fat, juicy contracts that make a LOT of money. I live right next to (40 minutes away from the main gate) Fort Drum, one of the most important military bases in the country, and I don't see 4G coming up this way. I see it in Syracuse, but that's over an hour away from Drum...

UNC

Reaction score
Priority is like this, folks;

Airports, Technical Colleges/Businesses (for the same reason the airports are hot on the list), population centers, everywhere else. Military bases probably don't really rank in the top five because of that 19% government employee discount on the voice service, which is still their most lucrative business -- and the fact that businesses are fat, juicy contracts that make a LOT of money. I live right next to (40 minutes away from the main gate) Fort Drum, one of the most important military bases in the country, and I don't see 4G coming up this way. I see it in Syracuse, but that's over an hour away from Drum...

Like I said, I live on top of a military base. I drive thru it every day, yet VZW has Fayettenam/Lumberton on the list.

I don't think the military would make it slower for you to get 4g... Ft Bragg houses the SoG central command, the Delta Force, and a slew of other SoG's. Not to mention one of the 3 rapid response airborne units. (82nd Airborne).

I live within 5 miles of the DF HQ, if anyone was going to have their service interrupted by the Fed it would be me.

The reason Fayettenam/Lumbeeton get coverage more than 30 miles apart from each other is that little road called Interstate 95.

Next to the airports, the 95 corridor is the MOST important thing for them to cover, most of America's business is handled along its route.

UNC

Reaction score
Yes, there is no Fayetteville in North Carolina. Fayettenam, yes, also known as Fedville to long-time residents. But this Fayetteville is a lie.

I am surprised that we are somehow getting five metro areas here this year, even if they are chaining cities together en masse. Why Raleigh and Durham but not Chapel Hill, though? I guess Duke and State beat Carolina ;-)

I've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!

I guess Verizon is a bunch of Cavaliers fans and they didn't want MJ's house to have coverage!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I don't think the military would make it slower for you to get 4g...

My apologies, I didn't mean to imply a military presence would slow 4G down, just that it's not a priority. :) On the other hand, I had a tower built literally ten months ago that went online seven months ago, so I'm not due for 4G for at least two more years. :D