Verizon Triples Their LTE Network Capacity in Several Major Cities

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-lte-network-dec-2013.png

Despite the fact that Verizon is already far ahead of their competitors in offering 4G LTE across the country, that hasn't diminished their aggressive rollout and improvement strategy. Even as their competition strives to catch them, Verizon continues to upgrade what they already have in place. A new report indicates they just expanded again and tripled their LTE network capacity in several major cities.

According to Chief Network Officer Nicola Palmer of Verizon Wireless, the company just boosted their network capacity in major cities like New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Boston, Seattle, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, and San Francisco. These upgrades primarily are focused on allowing for more users on the network, but should also offer existing users with a decent speed bump in some areas. Here's a quote with a few more details,

Verizon is tapping the Advanced Wireless Services airwaves it acquired from the cable operators back in 2012, and these are no paltry frequencies. In every major city east of the Mississippi and in several western markets, Palmer said, Verizon has fielded LTE systems utilizing a full 40 MHz of spectrum, twice as big as the 20 MHz network it’s spent the last three years rolling out nationwide. In some cities it couldn’t piece together a 40 MHz block, but it has been able to get close: In San Francisco and Los Angeles, for instance, the new networks are hosted on 30 MHz of AWS spectrum.

Those setups could support theoretical speeds for 100 Mbps to 150 Mbps, though real-world speeds will be much slower, especially as more subscribers move onto the network. More importantly though, the upgrade gives Verizon much needed capacity.

Source: GigaOM

Big Ry

Reaction score
Baltimore must not be a major city, because LTE still blows here

Tapped from my G2

cloudman7

Reaction score
I live in a small town in tx just got 4G LTE I thought we would the last to get it.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
What I can tell you is that VZW's current LTE coverage is 92%+ percent of their total network coverage.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Really, really solid coverage east of the Rockies...although it's surprising to seem such large areas of white, particularly in Virginia and TN/KY.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Interesting, they have included Puerto Rico but not Alaska on the map.

cloudman7

Reaction score
A lot of the map is not updated right cause where I live it shows that I still dont have 4g but I do and south is white but they also have 4g and it's smaller than my town. Here's a pic of them doing the switch as I live close to the tower.

View attachment 68432

JDH

Reaction score
A bit of irony, 4glte is one bar in the parking lot of the only Verizon corp store in Frederick,Md.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
A lot of the map is not updated right cause where I live it shows that I still dont have 4g but I do and south is white but they also have 4g and it's smaller than my town. Here's a pic of them doing the switch as I live close to the tower.

View attachment 68432

Years ago, I used to be one of those climbers, but only for my own equipment these days. I do not get paid enough to fall 300 feet!
Even from 195', the instantaneous stop will ruin your plans!
Free climbing is dangerous, I hope they tie off and rest, rope the tools after they secure a pulley system and rope or cable, depending on what they are installing, not to mention a tag line to stop twisting if hoisting a dish. I find comfort in the world below, no longer required to place myself in harm's way to keep the communications lines open.
All I have to worry about, is making sure I have the proper software, adaptors, cabling, and bridging tools to complete my tasks, no more sore knees or legs, or being wore out by the afternoon.
I arrive, set up my equipment, commission the site, test the configuration, button it up, snap pics, place a few calls, and GONE!

Big Ry

Reaction score
Years ago, I used to be one of those climbers, but only for my own equipment these days. I do not get paid enough to fall 300 feet!
Even from 195', the instantaneous stop will ruin your plans!
Free climbing is dangerous, I hope they tie off and rest, rope the tools after they secure a pulley system and rope or cable, depending on what they are installing, not to mention a tag line to stop twisting if hoisting a dish. I find comfort in the world below, no longer required to place myself in harm's way to keep the communications lines open.
All I have to worry about, is making sure I have the proper software, adaptors, cabling, and bridging tools to complete my tasks, no more sore knees or legs, or being wore out by the afternoon.
I arrive, set up my equipment, commission the site, test the configuration, button it up, snap pics, place a few calls, and GONE!

OSHA requires that they tie off. Whether they actually do it...who knows. I sure as hell would at those heights!

Tapped from my G2

cloudman7

Reaction score
They where using a pully system . They started the beginning of November and where done two weeks later very fast I noticed I would get 4g then no service so I went to go check out the site and saw they put in new antennas and where working on them.

Rhino94

Reaction score
Here in Michigan I feel like I'm not getting 4G even. I get maybe 2 download and 3 upload. Its really bad. They need to fix this **** pronto...

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
What kind of phone? Because I'm in Michigan and going from Samsung to Motorola sent my speeds from 2mbps to 20mbps in our house.