Verizon to Preview Android 4G LTE instead of iPhone at CES

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
android-beats-apple.gif

For several months there have been rumors swirling that Verizon would announce it's own iPhone at CES in January, but reports indicate they will be showcasing Android 4G LTE devices instead. The main reason the iPhone is notably absent is probably because Verizon's LTE network is still not ready to handle devices with voice-calling. Eventually, in a few months that will change, but for the iPhone it will probably need to wait until a fifth version before we will see an iPhone wokring on Verizon's 4G network. Plus, of course Apple would probably want to launch their own separate release show rather than share space with other tech-giants at CES.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see what Verizon shows off. They said they would provide "a sneak peek of Android-based 4G LTE consumer devices" during a live Webcast on Jan. 6. The appearing at the Jan. 6 news conference are the president and chief executive officer of Verizon Wireless, Dan Mead; also executive vice president and chief technology officer, Tony Melone; and the vice president and chief marketing officer, Marni Walden.

Source: Informationweek
by dgstorm

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Why would VZW showcase an IPhone 4G at the event, anyway? CES is for NEW technology, and that phone is 6 months old and already behind the curve.

But it will be interesting to see if Apple waits and then launches an LTE IPhone in June.

rmart88

Reaction score
what is voice-calling? did you mean video calling? cause im pretty sure i voice call all the time...?

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes any clarification on the voice calling thing... I know right now they only have the 4G for the CPU. I know they will be showing phones at CES but does this confirm an earlier rumor that the phones won't hit the streets until later in the year or what was stated above and it should be video calling??

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes any clarification on the voice calling thing... I know right now they only have the 4G for the CPU. I know they will be showing phones at CES but does this confirm an earlier rumor that the phones won't hit the streets until later in the year or what was stated above and it should be video calling??

Well let me take that back a second.. they can have calling over 3G and the data over 4G right?? Or that would require a dual radio phone for the 3G and 4G? Any other ideas and speculation out there in forum land?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's the first I've heard that LTE is not ready for voice. Although I think I did see a blurb where voice would initially be 3G (yes, it will be a dual-band radio) and data would be LTE, and you could talk and surf at the same time. Eventually data and voice will be LTE and you can still do both at the same time.

I have no issues with 3G voice on VZW. The only knock, or the only thing that would hurt LTE marketing a bit, is that VZW won't be able to promote the improved penetration ability for voice calling on LTE, at least not initially. Improved signal strength/quality for people in high rises and steel cages would be a pretty compelling marketing pitch, but sounds like maybe initially they can't make that pitch.

Delgado69

Reaction score
Fwiw.....

a friend, whom works at a Verizon store, had his vacation cancelled for January(as were all vacations for the month) and was all upset due to him having non-refundable hotel rooms and tickets. Says that they are going to announce the new Verizon iPhone. Take with a grain of salt though.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, just more proof that the iPhone and Verizon thing is a rumor, nothing more.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
a friend, whom works at a Verizon store, had his vacation cancelled for January(as were all vacations for the month) and was all upset due to him having non-refundable hotel rooms and tickets. Says that they are going to announce the new Verizon iPhone. Take with a grain of salt though.

BIG grain of salt. Unless your friend is a senior manager at the store, I can't see them forcing underlings to cancel vacations. The corporation will almost always eat expenses incurred with canceling/rescheduling a vacation, and I can't see VZW doing that. Also, offering pre-orders on the web and/or pushing people to utilize online would alleviate a lot of the pressure.

Some people talk like this is going to be a 10.0 earthquake hitting VZW and I just don't see it. For starters, the majority of these phones will be sold at Apple stores.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Look for the Fruit by mid feb. Now VZW is going to bring new meaning to rule the air here shortly

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Look for the Fruit by mid feb. Now VZW is going to bring new meaning to rule the air here shortly

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

And you Miami are the white horse for me.. I know you are limited to what you can share but I have two lines ready for upgrade and will be holding out a little longer.. of course there will always be that next big thing, but I know that something groundbreaking like the D1 was will be hitting sooner then later and no rotten fruit for me... dancedroid