Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I rather Verizon be slow with the update to get the bugs out first then for us to have a lot of problems after the update...
Except that they've pushed their fair share of late buggy updates.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I just checked nothing yet.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
440e8eb76aa33ba3a864455e02bed0a4.jpg

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not really VZW's fault, though.

Sent from Turbo II
Yes & no. They make their own tweaks. If nothing else, you'd think whatever "testing" they claim to do for their certification would catch those bugs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not really VZW's fault, though.

Sent from Turbo II

It is 100% their fault. You cannot take months to vet an update and then blame all the bugs on Google or the Manufacturers. If there are issues with the update, it is their responsibility to either report those bugs and have them fixed prior to update being released (if they are major bugs) or include a bug report with the update showing that these items will be problems if you upgrade. I cannot fathom how they could spend months with an update and then something as small as wireless connection issues weren't found by the people testing the units, or that the cell service was diminished. If they can't even find items that big, then they just need to bypass their testing and release it to the public for crying out loud, and let the public do their beta testing for them (which in many cases they do anyways).

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
What?!? Um, no. And you, Kansas? Liked that post?
No offense but that might be one of the worst posts I've ever read on DF. Bad updates are, at best, 5% VZW's fault. They don't "test for months". They don't decide that the Note 4 gets an update. I don't see any forum anywhere that people complain to Verizon for a bad update. Motorola's forum are full of people complaining about bad updates...at Moto. Not VZW.
When the RAZR HD got a bad update, we complained to Moto. Moto released a patch 2 weeks later. Still didn't fix everything. Did we complain to VZW? No. Why would we?
Moto get the OS from Google. They make it work on their phone. They give it to VZW to sprinkle pixie dust and bloatware apps on top. Then release it. Maybe VZW tests a feature they add, like Wifi calling. They don't do any extensive testing with any phone except, maybe, possibly the Droid line because that one is their baby.
100% Carriers fault? Even if what you posted was true, you lay not one ounce of blame with the manufacturer? Be serious.

Sent from Turbo II

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well what are they doing during that "certification" process? I know I've heard that term tossed around many times over the years. Verizon certifies these updates. I've read things that said they have their own vetting process.

While I can certainly agree with you Pere that it's not 100% the fault of the carrier, I definitely feel like it's more than 5%.

And as for not contacting VZW about a bad update, no, I wouldn't. Have you spoken with VZW customer service? No offense to them. They do what they can with the training they have, but they have no clue when it comes to more advanced things. So of course I'd go directly to the manufacturer, because they're more likely to have someone available that know what they're talking about.

Just so glad that I went with a Nexus last time I bought a phone so I don't have to worry about this.

Manufacturers can definitely be slow to push out updates and I'll concede what someone else said earlier that VZW has beaten AT&T to the punch a couple/few times recently, but that's not been the case historically. If you're going to base your argument on the manufacturer doing their thing to make the update work on their devices and then handing it off to the carrier to sprinkle their pixie dust (love that, btw), then there should be no excuse for VZW releasing the Note 4 lollipop update CONSIDERABLY later than @mountainbikermark got the "same" update on his AT&T Note 4.

Not to mention, watching review videos where they show certain features of the device like the ability to change the view of the settings menu. There's supposed to be 2 options. Mark and I went round and round when we first got the devices because I was swearing to him that that wasn't there and he was swearing to me that it was.

I blame the carriers for these different variants of the software, which impact the updates that come. Maybe VZW doesn't do MUCH with the updates, but they obviously make Samsung (in this case) make the tweaks and changes that they want done, so I still hold them at fault. That said, I'd still contact Samsung if I was still using the Note 4 and this update broke something.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Well what are they doing during that "certification" process? I know I've heard that term tossed around many times over the years. Verizon certifies these updates. I've read things that said they have their own vetting process.

Yea, some phone tester at VZW, probably one guy that makes minimum wage... oh wait. Scratch that. He probably makes $25 an hour because he realizes what a cushy job he has so he's been there since the first RAZR came out and he's retiring in that position.
He gets a phone form Moto. He grabs his checklist that the engineers up on the 3rd floor wrote.
:Does it make a phone call? Check
:Connect to Wifi? Check
:Connect to BT? Check
:Take a picture? Check
I don't believe for 2 seconds that VZW does much more testing then that UNLESS it is because of their pixie dust (I like that, too) that they are having a hard time getting to work. Like WiFi calling.

They don't do in depth BT, WiFi, Camera or Camcorder, or battery life testing. Those are easily the things that are most broken in updates.

While I can certainly agree with you Pere that it's not 100% the fault of the carrier, I definitely feel like it's more than 5%.

Just so glad that I went with a Nexus last time I bought a phone so I don't have to worry about this.
All they need do is bring back SD Card and I'm all in.

Manufacturers can definitely be slow to push out updates and I'll concede what someone else said earlier that VZW has beaten AT&T to the punch a couple/few times recently, but that's not been the case historically.

Make no mistake I am NTO sticking up for any carrier here. :D ATT AND T-Mobile have been kicking VZW's butt on this lately.

If you're going to base your argument on the manufacturer doing their thing to make the update work on their devices and then handing it off to the carrier to sprinkle their pixie dust (love that, btw), then there should be no excuse for VZW releasing the Note 4 lollipop update CONSIDERABLY later than @mountainbikermark got the "same" update on his AT&T Note 4.
There's something different in that VZW one. Some amount of the pixie dust that just wouldn't work. I'll bet ya'.