Verizon Shuts Down Redbox Instant Due to Colossal Failure

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
redbox-instant-logo.png

Verizon's version of Netflix, Redbox Instant, didn't get very long to prove itself, but it has been such a monumental flop, that Big Red has already decided to kill it. If you haven't heard of it, Redbox Instant was a team-up between Redbox and Verizon in an attempt to compete with Netflix by offering streaming video services. The service has been active for less than a year and a half.

Ironically, the service may have failed spectacularly as a business venture, but it was successful at one thing: it attracted criminals who used the service simply to verify stolen credit card numbers. Verizon even needed to stop new signups for the past three months in order to stop the criminals from taking over!

Ouch! You know your service must suck when criminals want to use it because there's no one else on it. The Redbox Instant service will be officially shut down on October 7th at 11:59 p.m. PT.

Source: ArsTechnica

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Omg... Soda through nose on that one...

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Redwhat? Lately I've been taking advantage of being amazon prime member and an enormous amount of free instant movies/shows. For everything else, there is Pirate Bay. Though, I might go to the movies first time this year to see American sniper. Book was really good.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Between Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crackle and individual network websites that show missed episodes, I'm pretty much covered. For everything else (new release wise) VuDu is it for me. I still have an account with our local Hastings video store, and you can't beat 1.50 BluRay rentals from a regular Redbox kiosk.
Redbox Instant never had a chance.

tap'n on my S5

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Between Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crackle and individual network websites that show missed episodes, I'm pretty much covered. For everything else (new release wise) VuDu is it for me. I still have an account with our local Hastings video store, and you can't beat 1.50 BluRay rentals from a regular regular Redbox kiosk.
Redbox Instant never had a chance.

tap'n on my S5
Yup all we need is a way to watch live sports via Chromecast without a cable subscription. But that will take awhile as cable companies realize that is the only thing left that is keeping people subscribing

Reactions: cr6