Verizon Shows Off Its First Rugged Android Smartphone: The Casio G'zOne Commando

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
If this were being released as a world phone, I'd truly be interested. It would be perfect for what I need.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only issue with durability is bulk. My old Casio was called the boulder and I can only guess it was named that because it was literally the size of a boulder. So for the Thunderbolt which already has a large screen the phone would be the size of a small tablet. I am sure with technology changing all the time this wont be the case for too much longer but I would like to see the actual size of this phone in person.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

Bear in NM

Reaction score
OTR,

Thanks for the info. I work outdoors, where dust rain, potential water drops etc. can be a possibility. And I play hard also in the outdoors, so while the solar protection may be be pointless as pointed out above, there are a ton of features that would directly translate into useable and desireable features for me.

FWIW, perhaps try and not get so hung up on what you may find useless, but focus on what you might find benificial, compared to your current phone, or features that you would like to have.

I guess I will need to wait for release to see all of the features. In looking at the casio page, no mention of usb, but it looks like I see a port on the side with perhaps a cover? Other ports on that side of the phone, but not terribly descriptive in the specs page/view.

Craig

My G'Zone was durable as hell. Dropping it from my truck(ups) at 30+ MPH and still worked.

This might not have the specs that most of the users here want, but I'm sure this phone will sell because of Casios base of hardcore users that like the Gshock brand.
It also depends on how they market it as well.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Cloud,

You actually had one of these exact phones? While I am not particularly familiar with Casio products, I do have a Pathfinder watch which has held up, but I have not really abused it. My D1 is going on what 17 months without a scratch or a drop, but doing so has taken a LOT of concious effort on my part.

I am in the market to spend a couple of hundred on a new GPS unit for work (and play), and I might be able to kill two birds at once here. I will definately be paying attention to reviews after launch.

Craig

crabbybahstid

Reaction score
I know this is sort of a double post, but I'm hoping this shows in the stores on Thursday as well. If anybody lays eyes on one, please post up!

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
OTR,

Thanks for the info. I work outdoors, where dust rain, potential water drops etc. can be a possibility. And I play hard also in the outdoors, so while the solar protection may be be pointless as pointed out above, there are a ton of features that would directly translate into useable and desireable features for me.

FWIW, perhaps try and not get so hung up on what you may find useless, but focus on what you might find benificial, compared to your current phone, or features that you would like to have.

I guess I will need to wait for release to see all of the features. In looking at the casio page, no mention of usb, but it looks like I see a port on the side with perhaps a cover? Other ports on that side of the phone, but not terribly descriptive in the specs page/view.

Craig

My G'Zone was durable as hell. Dropping it from my truck(ups) at 30+ MPH and still worked.

This might not have the specs that most of the users here want, but I'm sure this phone will sell because of Casios base of hardcore users that like the Gshock brand.
It also depends on how they market it as well.

Cloud,

You actually had one of these exact phones? While I am not particularly familiar with Casio products, I do have a Pathfinder watch which has held up, but I have not really abused it. My D1 is going on what 17 months without a scratch or a drop, but doing so has taken a LOT of concious effort on my part.

I am in the market to spend a couple of hundred on a new GPS unit for work (and play), and I might be able to kill two birds at once here. I will definately be paying attention to reviews after launch.

Craig

Not this particular phone but I had a Boulder as well. The specs I believe say its got a screen just a Tad smaller than the D1 though.
My only issue is that since its provably not a flip you would have to be conscious of protecting the screen.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Just found this clip on Youtube on it. [video=youtube;x4SynJGwMy8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4SynJGwMy8]YouTube - Casio G'zOne Commando (Verizon) - unboxing and video tour[/video]

Also Wirefly is offering this for $19 on a 2yr deal.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
No kidding. I have gone 30 or 40 pages deep in Google Searches, and there appears to be not a whole lot out there besides canned release information. A couple days after launch I would have expected to see more internet chatter from users. Give this a few more weeks and we may well see the device at the jewelry counter at Walmart, probably for less than 440 new without contract.

Craig

Zecpull

Reaction score
I Really thought I would like one of these.. But just hearing that the Keyboard was Really hard to use.. Lost it for me. .There is no Excuse to not have a Good Onscreen keyboard.. Copy someone else s. I dont know ..Maybe it could be Rooted and Use Keyboard app???

Zecpull

Reaction score
I Can not believe Amazon has them for 19.99.. It has to cost more to make a GZone than any of the other Androids.. I hope someone Gets one soon, and gives a report.

crabbybahstid

Reaction score
Check elsewhere in this forum section; I've given my "day three" impressions for what they're worth. The Amazon thing pi**es me off, but what'cha gonna do? As to the keyboard, the keys are small in portrait orientation, but decent sized in landscape. I'm coming from a BB, and touchscreens will be an adventure at first, but I'll get there. Overall, I wouldn't let that be a deal-breaker for you.