Verizon Shows Off Its First Rugged Android Smartphone: The Casio G'zOne Commando

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android_commando.jpg

Today is a day for Verizon announcements it seems. We have another press release, but this time for an Android smartphone that has really "flown under the radar." I suppose that makes sense for it, because the phone is the Casio G'zOne Commando rugged-build phone. Isn't that what commando's are suppose to do... arrive at their destination undetected? Anyway, this interesting device seems like a perfect fit for users with active lifestyles.

This device may not come with a dual-core chip, but it meets mil-spec 810g standards for resistance against rain, immersion, shock, dust, vibration, humidity, salt fog, solar radiation, altitude, and low and high temperatures. This little beast of a phone also comes with some pretty cool custom software too: Casio’s G’zGear software includes a compass, pedometer, tide charts, a thermometer, sun/moon schedules, trip memory, and adventure training apps. This is like a civilian version of the U.S. Army Android we talked about yesterday. It'll show up at Verizon stores for $199.99 on contract. Here's the press release below:
VERIZON WIRELESS AND CASIO INTRODUCE THE CASIO G’ZONE COMMANDO

First Ruggedized Android Smartphone for Verizon Wireless

BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – Verizon Wireless and Casio today announced a new addition to the rugged wireless category and a new Android-powered smartphone in the marketplace, the CASIO G’zOne Commando™. Deployment ready, the Commando is a mobile office with high security features for secure corporate email; Wi-Fi for high-speed Web access; XT9 and T9 trace input for efficient typing; and snap-out menu for customized access to high-use applications.

Designed to withstand the most extreme conditions, the CASIO G’zOne Commando easily transitions from work to play with advanced G’zGEAR software. As the ultimate outdoor tool in a mobile device, G’zGEAR operates in eight modes to enhance the active, adventure-driven lifestyle. With the help of its Triple Sensor technology utilizing direction, acceleration and temperature, G’zGEAR enables adventurers to perform at their peak.

The Casio Commando is ideal for the business environment, especially for fields such as construction, transportation, manufacturing, utilities and healthcare. Workers in hazardous environments, such as construction sites, warehouses and factory floors, need a smartphone that has the capability to download blueprints, files and pictures; update project plans; access field force management, inventory access and corporate applications; and capture signatures.

Key features:
· Android™ 2.2
· Meets Military Standards 810G for Immersion, Rain, Shock and Dust Resistant, Vibration, Salt Fog, Humidity, Solar Radiation, Altitude, Low and High Temperature Storage
· 5-megapixel camera with auto-focus, still photo, video capture, LED light
· High-security encryption for corporate email
· Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n connectivity
· Stereo Bluetooth™
· VZ Navigator® for GPS and audible turn-by-turn directions
· Mobile Hotspot capable-share 3G connection with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices

Lifestyle features:
· G’zGear operates in eight modes
o Earth Compass – Functions as a standard compass, the GPS shows the distance and direction to several domestic and international landmarks, including Yosemite National Park and Mt. Everest.
o Walking Counter – Measures steps, distance and energy consumption, and total steps for the day, week or month. It also provides virtual treks for famous North American trails and roads including Mt. Kilimanjaro, Annapurna Circuit, Torres Del Paine Circuit, John Muir Trail and Transcontinental
o Adventure Training – Takes training to a new level by allowing users to run with virtual opponents, like world-record holders, wild animals, or their own best personal performance stored in the training history.
o Trip Memory – Plots and records outdoor activities along with location information to share with friends and family on Twitter™ and Facebook®.
o Tides – Showcases the tidal graph for the day; time of tide ebb and flow; and current, past and future sea tide levels. GPS displays the nearest location map.
o Thermometer – Displays current temperature in both Celsius and Fahrenheit with numeric and graphic thermometer readings and compares the current temperature across multiple locations.
o Sun / Moon – Checks the time of the next sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset, and tracks the moon phases for your current location.
o Star Gazer – Utilizes GPS to display the stars and constellation names based on the current season and time.

Pricing and availability:
· The CASIO G’zOne Commando will be available online at Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless on April 28 for $199.99 with a new two-year customer agreement. CASIO G’zOne Commando customers will need to subscribe to a data plan. Unlimited data plans are available to customers starting at $29.99 monthly access.
· Business customers who want to purchase the device can contact their Business Sales Representatives at 1-800-VZW-4BIZ.

For more information on the CASIO G’zOne Commando or for other Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless. Customers can visit www.CasioGzOne.com to experience the CASIO G’zOne Commando.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Wow, I never thought Casio would combine with Android. I came from using a G'Zone back in Dec09'. The phine was great, very durable and being able to drop it in water without damaging it was pretty fun as well.
It looks like the same design that Casio has been going with over the past 2-3yrs, which means it might be a flip-phone.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Just rooted out some spec's on line but I have additional questions that might have to wait for release.

It does appear to come with some google apk's but perhaps not GMaps. So, as GMaps is available on the market, would one be able to theoretically download the application and use Gmaps rather than VZ Navigator?

And for any of you folks who have been using Casio phones, are they decent in terms of build quality etc?

I have been holding out for the upcoming dual processor mini-pc spec'd phones, but this one has my attention for sure.

Craig

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
G'zone because G-Shock would mean it would sit on your wrist, and it would be bought in the jewelry section of Wal-Mart ...

deputc26

Reaction score
Torn between this phone and something higher specced but less durable, really like the built in thermometer but also want dual core and front facing camera.

deputc26

Reaction score
Edit: Bing???? crap, I hate it when vzw does this to perfectly good phones.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
G'zone because G-Shock would mean it would sit on your wrist, and it would be bought in the jewelry section of Wal-Mart ...

Correct. To get the phone at our walmart you would need to walk back about 50 feet to the cell phone counter where the same inept type person would try and explain things to you.

It would appear that this is Casio's first smart phone? That worries me. Probably not gonna have root very quickly:)

Craig

tcayton49

Reaction score
I wasn't really interested in this phone until I saw that it is resistant to solar radiation. That will come in handy during my spacewalks.
And plus, once the ozone layer is gone, this phone will survive and help the cockraoches stay in contact with each other.
Fine job Casio. Fine job indeed.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
The irrigation company I worked for down in Virginia Beach used the dumbphone versions of these and they were great. I could drop the thing in water or run it over in my truck and it would still work. Yes both were done as experiments.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wasn't really interested in this phone until I saw that it is resistant to solar radiation. That will come in handy during my spacewalks.
And plus, once the ozone layer is gone, this phone will survive and help the cockraoches stay in contact with each other.
Fine job Casio. Fine job indeed.

Haha I guess you never can prepare for the future enough......unless your Casio of course.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

Bear in NM

Reaction score
OTR,

Thanks for the info. I work outdoors, where dust rain, potential water drops etc. can be a possibility. And I play hard also in the outdoors, so while the solar protection may be be pointless as pointed out above, there are a ton of features that would directly translate into useable and desireable features for me.

FWIW, perhaps try and not get so hung up on what you may find useless, but focus on what you might find benificial, compared to your current phone, or features that you would like to have.

I guess I will need to wait for release to see all of the features. In looking at the casio page, no mention of usb, but it looks like I see a port on the side with perhaps a cover? Other ports on that side of the phone, but not terribly descriptive in the specs page/view.

Craig

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
OTR,

Thanks for the info. I work outdoors, where dust rain, potential water drops etc. can be a possibility. And I play hard also in the outdoors, so while the solar protection may be be pointless as pointed out above, there are a ton of features that would directly translate into useable and desireable features for me.

FWIW, perhaps try and not get so hung up on what you may find useless, but focus on what you might find benificial, compared to your current phone, or features that you would like to have.

I guess I will need to wait for release to see all of the features. In looking at the casio page, no mention of usb, but it looks like I see a port on the side with perhaps a cover? Other ports on that side of the phone, but not terribly descriptive in the specs page/view.

Craig

My G'Zone was durable as hell. Dropping it from my truck(ups) at 30+ MPH and still worked.

This might not have the specs that most of the users here want, but I'm sure this phone will sell because of Casios base of hardcore users that like the Gshock brand.
It also depends on how they market it as well.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

jrodizkool01

Reaction score
It'd be amazing if phones like the thunderbolt came like this. Durability and great specs would be a killer combo