Verizon Samsung update (not OTA)

GVLBob

Reaction score
GVLBob, is your S4 rooted?

No. For those who are currently rooted and wish to remain so, I would pass up this upgrade, as it will cause you to lose the ability to root your phone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

bbtkd

Reaction score
No. For those who are currently rooted and wish to remain so, I would pass up this upgrade, as it will cause you to lose the ability to root your phone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Temporarily

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just finished with the update, moving all my apps to the external micro SD card which is nice, in regards to root, this phone is hardly in the need of root, as it flies, as an owner of the S3 which is rooted and unlocked, that phone was in need of root to make it spiffy. I might root the S4 in the future, when the devs have a handle on things.

reybie

Reaction score
I'm going to wait since I have apps and utility stuff that needs root for complete functionality.

tc1

Reaction score

Those who are going thus route... Be prepared for a long process.

Took a good 30 minutes just for the desktop installer to download and install it's own update.

Not the phones update mind you, the Verizon desktop software.

Once that finished I got to the actual phone software update and was informed that it would take another 30 - 90 minutes to install and not to disconnect my phone.

I was out of time at that point so I never got the update.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

GVLBob

Reaction score
The download doesn't have to be done in a single session. In my case, the software update download to the PC occurred automatic. You can connect the phone to the PC at a later date or time and initiate the update-the-phone step.

tc1

Reaction score
The download doesn't have to be done in a single session. In my case, the software update download to the PC occurred automatic. You can connect the phone to the PC at a later date or time and initiate the update-the-phone step.

I know, it was just a process that was way longer than it should have been.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

p1ngputts

Reaction score
try downloading this software using MiFi.... going on 29 minutes and not even 30%. Only downfall to living in the middle of nowhere, though I never expected to need to use my computer for a phone update.

rachelequinn

Reaction score
Verizon Samsung S4 OTA to DMI1 got it a minute ago, all done installed sat.

Verizon Samsung S4 OTA to DMI1 got it a minute ago, all done installed sat.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
My phone is in the emergency room. I got it with MDK and did the OTA to ME7. It seemed to go fine, but I never had good battery life. It would run warm all day, even if not being used at all. It would be fully charged 100% at 8:00am, and even if no phone calls were made, no internet, no email or texting, in other words simply on standby, it was often bone dry and would shut down in about 12 hours. FDR didn't help the problem so I just suffered with it. Seeing the new MI1, I was hoping it might fix the phone.

I tried to get the OTA to MI1 but it wouldn't connect to the servers and wouldn't even display the version it was on itself. I've done FDR and that didn't help, so I called Verizon Tech Support and they suggested to run the Samsung Update/Repair Assistant and do the repair.

I've done the repair twice and each time the repair has failed mid-stream, leaving an error on the computer screen and the phone in the "Downloading... Do not turn off target!!". In the first attempt, after running all night while I slept the computer had made it to 66%. I tried to reconnect while still in Downloading mode and the Repair assistant then showed 2 devices, the original phone and an "Unknown device". Neither would light the start button when highlighted. I restarted the assistant and the same results.

So I did the one thing it says not to do...I pulled the battery and restarted the phone. It booted "normally", and showed it was still on ME7, but the OTA function still didn't work. So after an FDR and no better results I started it again last night. Then comes a new problem...when I connected the phone, it started a repeating connect and disconnect from USB. Each connect produced the double-bong sound, then the window for file exploration, then it would fail, the double-bong sound for disconnect would play and after a couple seconds it would reconnect again and go through the same process. That happened about once every 5 seconds and went on for over 15 minutes. Of course since it kept connecting and disconnecting I couldn't start the repair. Eventually it stopped and so I started the repair.

Just like the first time, it failed but this time it made it to 99% and the phone was still in the Downloading mode but it now only shows the main device (Galaxy S4 (SCH-1545)) running ME7. This time the failure was apparently due to the unstable USB connection as it said "Device was unexpectedly unplugged. Please connect and retry repair". I've just started again, this time I didn't power off the phone, and it's currently at 63% after jumping right in at 50% from what was 99% before. Now at 66%, but this process is god-awful slow.

If it fails again, it's time for a CLNR.

Edit: Update...it failed again at 66% as it did the 1st time, but with the disconnect error as it did the 2nd time. I think this phone is toast.

Repair Assistant.png

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Fox. Did you unroot before doing all of this? Or are you unrooted now?

If so I would trying going to Bestbuy first and see if the Samsung guys can help you.

That same thing happened to me when ME7 came out and they got it to upgrade.

Just something to try before being at the mercy of a CLNR.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Fox. Did you unroot before doing all of this? Or are you unrooted now?

If so I would trying going to Bestbuy first and see if the Samsung guys can help you.

That same thing happened to me when ME7 came out and they got it to upgrade.

Just something to try before being at the mercy of a CLNR.

Sydman, I wasn't rooted, so that's not it. I am not sure but the Verizon rep thinks it is a Samsung direct S4, not the Verizon specific version and believes that is why it's failing. Reason she thinks so is the first time I tried to boot into Safe Mode, it went instead to the boot loader screen.

I'll post a pic of it. I didn't think this phone had that capability but perhaps it's normal.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Sydman, I wasn't rooted, so that's not it. I am not sure but the Verizon rep thinks it is a Samsung direct S4, not the Verizon specific version and believes that is why it's failing. Reason she thinks so is the first time I tried to boot into Safe Mode, it went instead to the boot loader screen.

I'll post a pic of it. I didn't think this phone had that capability but perhaps it's normal.

Oh yeah don't think root was the problem, thing is Samsung guys won't touch it if it's rooted.

Couldn't hurt to go see them guys if your local Bestbuy has a Samsung store.

Can't have ya without a phone!