New ota update questions

Tmurray315

Reaction score
So I woke up this morning and saw a new Verizon ota update what is this? I saw one last week to? Now I'm wondering is it safe to update it ota vs computer will I get any bus doing it ota? And is it worth updating I think there's 2 new updates and how do I disable the notification

PhishyKris

Reaction score
It messed with my Exchange config. I had to hard reset. everything is ok now and that's my rule anyway...I always FDR after a big update.

OP
T

Tmurray315

Reaction score
I get the nag screen too. I didn't install suspecting just the reason you posted. I'm sure ROMS will be posted soon that have whatever benefits from the update without killing root. I haven't seen any exploits to reroot it after the update either. Do you know a way to get rid of the nag screen?
I have a question i updated my phone I didn't do a factory reset on my phone yet questions is will I loose my pics and contacts I don't have an SD card yet

reybie

Reaction score
If your contacts are synched to your gmail account, no you will not lose them. You can temporarily copy over your pictures to your computer if you want to back them up. Or sign up for a dropbox account and upload all those pictures there for safekeeping.

OP
T

Tmurray315

Reaction score
If your contacts are synched to your gmail account, no you will not lose them. You can temporarily copy over your pictures to your computer if you want to back them up. Or sign up for a dropbox account and upload all those pictures there for safekeeping.
problem is my Dropbox is full And computer is not working right now

m3incorp

Reaction score
I have a question i updated my phone I didn't do a factory reset on my phone yet questions is will I loose my pics and contacts I don't have an SD card yet

No need to hurry to do the factory reset (from what I can see, everything else works after the update "except" the WiFi toggle). Buy an SD card and then do the FDR. Another option, is Verizon has media backup for a charge.

OP
T

Tmurray315

Reaction score
No need to hurry to do the factory reset (from what I can see, everything else works after the update "except" the WiFi toggle). Buy an SD card and then do the FDR. Another option, is Verizon has media backup for a charge.
Thinking about buying an SD card which is the best to get

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would personally recommend Samsung, Kingston, and Sandisk. I did hear Sandisk had a bad batch of cards go out though, so you may want to hang onto your receipt if you opt for Sandisk. Any of these 3 are always top notch imo.

You're going to read about Class. On the device itself, where the card is going of course, you won't notice a difference in transfer speed between a class two and class 10. However, on a computer when transferring files to the SD card through an external adapter (not the phone) you will notice a difference in speed. And iirc, the s4 can read a card up to 64gb.

You can stop by your local electronics store, but usually online retailers tend to be cheaper than stores. Amazon and NewEgg are two that I always recommend when looking for any cards or memory of any type. If you have a Fry's in your area that's another good place to check out. Stores like Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc. I'd avoid when it comes to getting electronics.

m3incorp

Reaction score

I prefer Sandisk..make sure you buy from reputable dealer. There are also Kingston, Transcend and others.

Buy the most GBs you can afford as it is pretty cheap. 32GB run around $22 in most places. Your Samsung will handle up to a 64GB card.

zero7404

Reaction score
i got the update a few days ago since i was out of the country with my fone. im stock touchwiz rooted. so if i do the update ill lose root.

anyone kno if the SuperSU pro ota survival mode actually works ?

sent via android

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i got the update a few days ago since i was out of the country with my fone. im stock touchwiz rooted. so if i do the update ill lose root.

anyone kno if the SuperSU pro ota survival mode actually works ?

sent via android
I haven't heard of any success with any of those "root saving" apps.

zero7404

Reaction score
ill probly not update in the short term ... until this update is rootable ...

sent via android