Verizon Rolling Out New 6 Strikes Anti-Piracy Policy; Throttles Offenders to 256kbps

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Just like your ISP knows what IP addresses they own do so does Verizon. They know what time, what tower and what device downloaded each kb of data since forever.

- Every single device has a MAC address that almost every website records along with the IP address and browser of the user.

- If you use torrent your IP address is visible for all the people involved in the transfer. (Click on peers next time you have your torrent program open).

- So say Sony owns a particular song, they go to Pirate Bay and search for that song or the album it's on.

- Sony downloads the torrent and connects. They then save all the IP addresses of the peers involved.

- Sony goes to Verizon and says if you give us the information you logged about this IP address at so and so time... We won't go to AT&T with this exclusive licensing contract because they do cooperate.

- It's not difficult nor is it expensive for them to do this. Most companies hang onto this information for at least a couple years for law enforcement purposes. If they can make money off it as well that is especially good for them.

- This is even easier for websites than p2p. The website has your information and Verizon has your information. That's two sources they can go to.

- You know what they don't want you to do.
- You know they can find you when they want.
- You make your own decision on whether that's worth it to you.

(time to go fire up uTorrent and get me some textbooks)

micrors4

Reaction score
If I was using an encrypted bittorrent network, could they still see my data? And what if I was using a verizon provided WiFi access point? I think I will take my chances on pirating because I can't afford to buy a $60 game when I have to spend 4 times that on a single textbook and I doubt they would waste their time suing a poor college student.

Last edited:

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
If I was using an encrypted bittorrent network, could they still see my data? And what if I was using a verizon provided WiFi access point?

Encrypted bittorrent connections make it harder to detect the bittorrent protocol by the ISP. So they don't know you're using a torrent initially.

However that information is still passed onto the other peers.

-company complains that the IP address tied to Verizon provided Wifi access point X was downloading copyrighted material.

-Verizon accesses records from that IP address.

It won't have information that you were using the torrent provided they didn't use something that can detect encryption (which exist) but the complaint will still be registered. And I imagine they would send you a warning or use encryption detection next time.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I'm not saying that they'll do it to everyone either. I'm just saying the technology exists and is readily accessible.

I don't want anyone to deceive themselves thinking they're 100% safe or that they're doomed. Just be aware.

52brandon

Reaction score
+1
Can't stand the new stuff. All sounds the same. Too much auto-tune, because they can't sing or hold pitch.
Bad mixes that a muddy and have no definition. Compressed to the max with no dynamic range. Pushed so loud is the only thing you hear.

They need t get some new talent and some real engineers to mix and master.
there was a lil wayne song that really cracked me up. At one point he talks about concealing a gun, then at another he talks about wearing skinny jeans... you can't conceal your shame in skinny jeans, let alone anything else lmao

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
if youre gonna pirate, just use peer block..sheesh. Even then, you have to get caught 6 times to be throttled for only a limited time? It actually is a good policy, it gives people the benefit of the doubt and punishes extreme offenders.

huskur

Reaction score
Not so easy if you have DSL and a static IP. I have Comcast cable and if I refresh my modem it changes my IP since it is a "rolling" IP. Pretty much all businesses use static IP's but most of your home cable services "refresh" IP's from time to time.

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
Not so easy if you have DSL and a static IP. I have Comcast cable and if I refresh my modem it changes my IP since it is a "rolling" IP. Pretty much all businesses use static IP's but most of your home cable services "refresh" IP's from time to time.

i never thought about that. but isnt the main way people get caught is (for example)
1. you pirate a Miramax movie
2. Miramax monitors it, tells your ISP
3. ISP sends you email on Miramax's behalf saying "stahp"

Basically your ISP has better things to do than see every single thing youre downloading, especially since you can torrent completely legal things..am i right?

Reaction score
I torrent sometimes to see if i like a cd or a movie why waste money on it then dislike it. In todays economy every penny counts :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
it doesn't work. you're better off disabling upload while downloading. they only monitor those that share, those that just take slide under their radar.

lol peer block works very well. it blocks media companies all the time when im downloading. my friend has gotten a couple emails from media companies, i got him to use peerblock and he hasnt had one since

Jeyman

Reaction score
seedbox/VPN makes all this pointless really. DLing anything risky on a torrent open to everyone without the right protection is not safe(or smart).

both VPN's and seedbox's are dirt cheap on a monthly plan(looking at under ~20$(USD) a month. Its also a great way to store other things like photos.

also its not worth DLing the music of today. And if you need past stuff odds are you can find someone with the CD who can legally make you a *mix tape*

huskur

Reaction score
i never thought about that. but isnt the main way people get caught is (for example)
1. you pirate a Miramax movie
2. Miramax monitors it, tells your ISP
3. ISP sends you email on Miramax's behalf saying "stahp"

Basically your ISP has better things to do than see every single thing youre downloading, especially since you can torrent completely legal things..am i right?

You are correct. Most people that get caught have static IP's and are caught at random. If you have a cable residential modem just refresh it time to time and get a new IP. To make sure you don't have a static IP just check your bill. It will be listed if you do