Verizon Readjusts Their Plans Again; Up to 4GB of Data for Only $60 (plus more)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-plans-nov-2015.jpg

This new readjustment of plans from Verizon doesn't look like a reaction to Sprint's news yesterday. More than likely, Big Red was already planning on launching these new plan adjustments. Still, anytime things get less complicated and create extra value on Verizon, it's worth taking notice.

Verizon's newly adjusted plans now conform to more traditional monthly billing cycles and they include bonus data options as well. Here's a quote with the breakdown of specifics straight from the source:

"Prepaid smartphone plans
  • $60 per month for unlimited talk and text with 3GB of data
  • $45 per month for unlimited talk and text with 1GB of data
  • Need more data? Sign up for Autopay and get an extra 1GB of data every month on the $45 and $60 smartphone plans
  • $30 per month for unlimited talk and text with Wi-Fi only access for data
Prepaid basic phone plans
  • $30 per month for unlimited talk, text and mobile web
  • $15 per month for 300 voice minutes, texts or multimedia messages (in any combination), plus unlimited mobile web
Need more Data?

It’s always easy to add more data to your prepaid plan whenever you need it. Simply use the My Verizon app or visit My Verizon online to add one of the following optional packages:

• $5 for 500MB (good for 30 days)
  • $10 for 1GB (good for 90 days)
  • $20 for 3GB (good for 90 days)"
It will be interesting to see if Verizon makes any other adjustments to their plans if Sprint's new 50% off competitor's plans starts to draw away customers. Not only has Sprint been aggressively pricing against their competition, they have also been upgrading and expanding their network.

Source: Verizon - (1) & (2)

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
These are for Prepaid. I don't think this has any impact on contractual plans.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
$30 for unlimited talk & text with WiFi? That sounds too good to be true.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
That does sound too good to be true for a smartphone on Verizon network...

boidsonly

Reaction score
I agree, the $ is in the data. This is how it will work, in the end. The carriers and the ISPs will both charge you for the same data. Comcast and your carrier already do if you are on a metered plan using a Personal CellSpot. But in order for them to do that they have to convince you of the need for a CellSpot. WiFi calling is a great feature and best used with a personal router-not one provided by ATT/T-Mo, etc. to improve your home signal. The other drawback is other people use that same cell spot that uses your ISP bandwidth because of the WiFi calling feature. Once they are connected to your cell spot, they download/watch videos on your bandwidth-this counts against both your carrier and ISP data, if metered. They can also download files that will attract the attention of the DRM police. You have no control over who connects to your cell spot-it is automated on the carriers end. I believe ATT gives you a bit of control over registered users on the CellSpot.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I agree, the $ is in the data. This is how it will work, in the end. The carriers and the ISPs will both charge you for the same data. Comcast and your carrier already do if you are on a metered plan using a Personal CellSpot. But in order for them to do that they have to convince you of the need for a CellSpot. WiFi calling is a great feature and best used with a personal router-not one provided by ATT/T-Mo, etc. to improve your home signal. The other drawback is other people use that same cell spot that uses your ISP bandwidth because of the WiFi calling feature. Once they are connected to your cell spot, they download/watch videos on your bandwidth-this counts against both your carrier and ISP data, if metered. They can also download files that will attract the attention of the DRM police. You have no control over who connects to your cell spot-it is automated on the carriers end. I believe ATT gives you a bit of control over registered users on the CellSpot.

Once again, I'm glad I've got a non-metered not (really) capped service from Charter at home. (and my own personal router).

I wouldn't recommend wifi calling for anyone on a metered/capped plan with their ISP, even though I haven't seen any stats on how it impacts what you're alotted.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Why. There is no longer any money in talk/text.
They see growth in monetizing data.
For me, I'm on 4 to 6 hours of calls a day for work. Minutes are where its at for me. Luckily I have friends and family numbers setup so I don't get charged.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Last I checked, I used about 20-30 minutes of talk a month. Back when they had plans with limited minutes, there wasn't one small enough for me. Haha
Same here. I hardly talk on the phone. Texting is another story however. :D

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I was thinking in terms of switch people from dumb phones to smartphones who don't want to pay outrageous money for data.