Verizon Package Suggestions

instantbenz

Reaction score
Hello all,

I haven't burst into the smartphone scene as of yet, but my phone's 2 yr plan is up in April and I want to get a Droid of some type.

I am primarily curious of what I should do for text and data plans (phones too if someone has a good suggestion for a smartphone noob).

I have WiFi available to me nearly everywhere I go, so I doubt I will need much for data. My wife has a purely text setup for a by-month plan (Envy 2). So if I am sending about 200 and receiving about 200 texts per month, do I need an unlimited text plan? Is there a way for my wife to send me texts via some other method? I just don't want to put money into the texting if it's necessary to put so much into the data plan.

Suggestions for this noob :p?

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Data plan? Not much choice. Get a smartphone and add the $29.99 data plan to your line.
Text plan? $5/mo gets you 250 texts (in and out), $10 gets you 500 texts with free texts from other VZW phones.
IMO, its not worth the fuss to use something like Google Voice to skirt text message costs. If you don't think you'll be texting alot, $5 should be adequate. You can monitor your usage and bump up to the $10 plan any time.

Beka27

Reaction score
Not anymore... Its been gone about a month or so. $30 is the only option now... Til LTE... Which will probably be more.

(from Beka's DX)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
IMO, its not worth the fuss to use something like Google Voice to skirt text message costs.
It's a subjective call. I heavily use a lot of GV's features, including SMS. There's nothing in the OP to indicate that GV is or isn't suitable for the OP.

So if I am sending about 200 and receiving about 200 texts per month, do I need an unlimited text plan?
Probably not but that's your call.

Last edited: