Questions about moving to an individual Verizon plan

razingkane

Reaction score
My apology if this is not the good place to post this. I’ve contacted Verizon 3 times and got 3 different answers.

My overall goal is to get on a Verizon individual plan w/current unlimited text and data and get a new phone without any EFT. A lot to ask for…I know.

I have to leave my wife’s family plan with unlimited text and data. My D2 is not up for new every two for another year. I’d prefer to stay with Verizon but if need be I’ll move to Sprint and suffer the ETF.

If we transfer my phone number to my own Verizon individual plan can I keep the unlimited data and text?

When I leave my wife’s family plan will my wife or I get hit with an early termination fee?

I know I cannot get a new phone via new every two. But, can I buy a phone from Amazon and attach it to my new Verizon Individual plan and keep my current phone number.

herkyMD

Reaction score
I had a similar question that I spoke to Verizon about a few months ago as I am still on my parents' family plan and will be transferring to my own account in the future.

What you want to do is known as a Transfer of Liability. You can transfer your current phone number to its own account (i.e., individual line) without incurring an ETF. Your upgrade date does not change so, as far as I know, the only way you would be able to get a new phone would be to buy it full retail (or off of Ebay or CraigsList) and activate that on your current number and keep your current upgrade date.

I don't know whether or not they would allow you to keep your unlimited data now that they have gone to tiers. Definitely something to ask Verizon about. (Could you post here if you find an answer as I've been wondering the same question?)

Hope this clears some things up for you.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
It would be a plan change, so you wont keep unlimited.

CM74DX

OP
razingkane

razingkane

Reaction score
So I cannot buy a new phone from Amazon eh?

Well, if I figured this out correctly. I could pay the ETF, go to Sprint, get unlimited text and data, pay less than the nearest Verizon's plan, buy a Nexus S4g from Amazon for .01 cent and come close to breaking even on the whole thing.

I had a similar question that I spoke to Verizon about a few months ago as I am still on my parents' family plan and will be transferring to my own account in the future.

What you want to do is known as a Transfer of Liability. You can transfer your current phone number to its own account (i.e., individual line) without incurring an ETF. Your upgrade date does not change so, as far as I know, the only way you would be able to get a new phone would be to buy it full retail (or off of Ebay or CraigsList) and activate that on your current number and keep your current upgrade date.

I don't know whether or not they would allow you to keep your unlimited data now that they have gone to tiers. Definitely something to ask Verizon about. (Could you post here if you find an answer as I've been wondering the same question?)

Hope this clears some things up for you.

OP
razingkane

razingkane

Reaction score
My business partner has Sprint. We have 3 EVO 4G phones w/unlimited data and text Customer service has been no better or worse than Verizon. No problems with the phones, 4G in Denver works.

yea but you will be on Sprint's "phenomenal service"...

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have had both Sprint and VZW. VZ customer service sucks terribly and they are more expensive. Their network is a little better.

I think its funny when people bash something (like Sprint) because they are insecure with what they own. Especially when they don't have personal experience.

CM74DX

vatothe0

Reaction score
I have had both Sprint and VZW. VZ customer service sucks terribly and they are more expensive. Their network is a little better.

I think its funny when people bash something (like Sprint) because they are insecure with what they own. Especially when they don't have personal experience.

CM74DX

I figured they were going by the Consumer Reports findings. Or the JD Power reports.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
razingkane

razingkane

Reaction score
I travel a bit in the southwest.....a lot of off the beaten path roads i.e. not on major highways like I40, I25, I70, I10 and I8. Had Verizon service pretty much everywhere. Even in Monument Valley.

Not a real issue as I've been going to these places long before we had cell phones and I survived. Not sure how Sprint will perform.

CM74DX

Helawat

Reaction score
If you do an assumption of liability, you will not keep your unlimited data plan. Any contract greater or less than a year will be commuted to a one year contract and you will loose the manufacturer's warranty.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
To all the attackers of my comment about sprint's service...
I do have personal experience with sprint and it aint good, in my past job i drove locally in socal and nationwide 3-4 times a year. I had known spots that i drove through that i could predict a call drop, on the highways between cities sprint had zero service. I could drive 5-6 hours at a time with a dead phone so i have a pretty good experience with sprint. Never any reception in elevators or underground parking. I had sprint from my old job for years. After switching to Verizon i felt the difference, solid voice quality, bearly any dropped calls, on many conversations person on the otherside couldn't even tell i was on a cell and not a land line.

Ohh.. and if you still didn't get it, i wasn't referring to customer service, i was referring to cell and data service.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
yea but you will be on Sprint's "phenomenal service"...
Generalizations about coverage are pointless. Every person needs to assess real world coverage on his/her own. Every carrier, even VZW, has coverage holes.

I do have personal experience with sprint and it aint good
It's still anecdotal evidence. It's still just one data point. You can't draw meaningful trends from a single data point. Regardless, this isn't relevant to the topic unless the OP has determined Sprint's service to be unsuitable for the OP.