Verizon Now Selling Moto G for Just $99 Off Contract

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Moto g has no LTE modem. 3g etc only.

That's partly why it's so cheap.

My guess is this might be a dual-subsidy from Google and VZW in order to make it cheaper and "low risk" to entice people who still have feature phones to try the world of smartphones.

Would also jump all over $199 for the Moto X off-contract but don't see that happening. I'm starting to itch to upgrade, but I want to see if VZW does anything with unlimited and what happens with VoLTE. I have a feeling VoLTE will be so superior in quality that it will be hard to pass-up, and I'd guess you won't be able to get it and still keep unlimited.

By the way, for anyone eyeing a new phone purchase - looks like old phones might not be VoLTE compatible. Add to that a past history of the first batch of phones with new tech not being quite up to par and I'm waiting before shelling out $600+ retail for a phone.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
If I hadn't just bought the maxx I'd be all over $199 no contract.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
I can see the Moto X coming down to maybe 249 no contract, potentially 199 down the road. I know people say its about the experience and not all about the specs, but most people just look at the spec sheet and compare it to other phones and spec-wise it was already a bit dated when it came out. They have already dropped it to 349 off contract I believe, I can see steeper price cuts in the future.

MotoXGirl

Reaction score
My guess is this might be a dual-subsidy from Google and VZW in order to make it cheaper and "low risk" to entice people who still have feature phones to try the world of smartphones.

Would also jump all over $199 for the Moto X off-contract but don't see that happening. I'm starting to itch to upgrade, but I want to see if VZW does anything with unlimited and what happens with VoLTE. I have a feeling VoLTE will be so superior in quality that it will be hard to pass-up, and I'd guess you won't be able to get it and still keep unlimited.

By the way, for anyone eyeing a new phone purchase - looks like old phones might not be VoLTE compatible. Add to that a past history of the first batch of phones with new tech not being quite up to par and I'm waiting before shelling out $600+ retail for a phone.

A reputable source I know says no carrier is within 2 years of a widespread VoLTE rollout. So you have time to try a diff phone lol

Texted while driving (hands free) on my Moto X.

RickWood427

Reaction score
I have my doubts about seeing a "good" price on a no contract 4G LTE phone from VZW. Upgrades are just about their last ditch effort to get rid of the last of the grandfathered unlimited customers.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
A reputable source I know says no carrier is within 2 years of a widespread VoLTE rollout. So you have time to try a diff phone lol

Texted while driving (hands free) on my Moto X.

That's not what some users are reporting from nyc.

TmjPwmXm.png

http://www.lightreading.com/mobile/...s/verizon-volte-testing-spotted/a/d-id/707114

Verizon was planning to roll out volte in 2012 but it was pushed back till 2014.

MotoXGirl

Reaction score
That's not what some users are reporting from nyc.

TmjPwmXm.png

Verizon VoLTE Testing Spotted | Light Reading

Verizon was planning to roll out volte in 2012 but it was pushed back till 2014.

It says that Verizon is "testing" VoLTE. The person I talked to is an engineer who is responsible for lighting up VoLTE, eventually. Its correct that Verizon is adding LTE-A to a lot of markets in 2014. As it stands now when you make voice call on Verizon you are using the CDMA bands not LTE. Only your data is LTE. They said that for the foreseeable future when you make a call on LTE-A you will still use CDMA. The person I talked to about it said that Samsung was aggressively pushing VoLTE on their phones despite the fact that its largely buggy on all carriers. They also reminded me of how that's normal for Samsung. An example is when Samsung was forced to ditch their own chipset on the S4 and go with the Qualcomm because the voice quality was absolutely horrible with theirs. Now, while this is third party its still someone that should/would absolutely know.