Verizon Note 5 Will NOT Support Samsung Pay

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

What is with Verizon!!??!! They are nuts if they think that Softcard can compete with Samsung Pay. Samsung Pay on the Note 5 is a GAME CHANGER. Apple Pay and Android Pay have not been widely successful because they require a special kiosk to work. Your kiosk must be compatible with the payment system. This means you can not truely leave the house without your wallet.

Samsung Pay is different it emulates a magnetic card swipe and works with virtually any payment terminal worldwide. I was really looking forward to using this on my Note 5 that I just preordered. I was so excited to get to use this that I decided to check out the Samsung Pay website. It had a list of compatible cards and carriers. Of course all major US carriers including US Cellular support Samsung Pay except for Verizon! I decided to tweet about it and VerizonWireless customer support confirmed that they don't plan to support it.

They didn't specify why, but they would not support Google Wallet in the past because it was a direct competitor to their payment system. SOFTCARD is going nowhere. Why must they continue to block legitimately viable pay systems?! This is more than frustrating to me! Do any of you share in my frustration? Do any of you actually use Verizon's Softcard?

bigmatt503

Reaction score
Nope. Never will use it either. Too bad about Vzw crippling OUR devices again.

Sent from my Verizon LG G4 from my couch in Portland, Oregon

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I had no intentions of going from the 4 to 5 but daily I grow less and less fond of VZW and their ways. All the hard earned money I give them every month and they continously take things away that everyone else is giving. I think as soon as T mobile is available reliably in my area we are jumping ship and going to them. I can't stand other people telling me what I do and don't need to come with something I paid for.

Note 4tified

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Are they actually removing the hardware from the device or just the ability in the software? Lets hope devs can bring it back if its just software.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I'd never use Samsung Pay, but it does bother me how these days you buy something that's really not even yours. It should be illegal. It's similar to going to the store to buy a loaf of bread, but the store dictates what sort of meals you can use on your bread, and how much you can use in a given period of time.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'm not too worried about it. Even though these "wallet" systems have been around for couple years now, none of them have really taken off yet, as major issues still need to be ironed out between manufacturers, pay systems, carrier's, etc. There have been so many changes and inconsistencies from the very beginning, that it's going to be years before people will trust them enough to use them on a regular basis. Why people are suddenly worried about it now, when it's really still in its infancy, is beyond me.
This is where Apple is going to blow Android out of the water. They have one pay system on their one OS that works across ALL carriers and they had a dozen major retailers set up and running within a month of going live. The only problem with Apple Pay is that it's currently only available on the iPhone 6 & 6S. (& their latest iPads versions) Meanwhile Absurdroid has multiple card systems that have all had multiple name changes and multiple issues since day one.
With all the data breaches that have happened lately (Target, Neiman Marcus, Home Depot,etc) still fresh in the minds of the consumer, I don't see any of these really taking off anytime soon.
Just my .2 cents worth via my FDIC'd debit card.

S5 tap'n

Last edited:

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I don't think the issue here is whether or not you intended to use this feature, or whether these type of payment services are popular - the issue is Verizon, once again, dictating what features their customers can & can't use! They've been doing it for a while and will continue to do it, and I think it's BS and the FCC or the Feds or SOMEONE needs to step in and put a stop to it!

G4'ed it!

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
AT&T and T-Mobile versions of the Note4 contain no quick settings data toggle. Android 5.0+ blocks the ability to use an aftermarket data toggle. For those of us on limited data plans that's akin to not having a volume up and down toggle, inexcusable. The ios like method of digging several taps into the settings menu to avoid the "nuances" of AT&T smart Wi-Fi sucking royally is not cool.
So Verizon is blocking a bloatware that few will use and would complain about it being on the device anyway. At least Verizon didn't take away any stock settings.
Sorry just had to rant and agree fragmented,carrier skinned, devices for Android is still Apple's best friend

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
So Verizon is blocking a bloatware that few will use and would complain about it being on the device anyway. At least Verizon didn't take away any stock settings.
It's a stock feature of Samsung's Touchwiz most likely. And as others have already pointed out, Verizon did take it upon themselves to disable Google Wallet which is a stock feature of the Google Apps suite.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's a stock feature of Samsung's Touchwiz most likely. And as others have already pointed out, Verizon did take it upon themselves to disable Google Wallet which is a stock feature of the Google Apps suite.
Bloatware. Be it Samsung or Google. Definition of bloatware is embedded software that is infrequently, or never, used by the owner that is non removable without root access. What is bloatware to some is priceless to others and vice versa. On my Notes I have a much higher percentage of Google apps frozen than Samsung ones but my carrier based phones I have the highest percentage of carrier based apps frozen vs Samsung or Google ones. Android used to be an os with services and most Google apps, including basics such as gmail, were user choice but now they have joined the bloatware additions in the name of revenue enhancement. Verizon is simply blocking Google and Samsung attempts at revenue enhancement via embedded, non removable without root, apps.
Though I don't like any carrier, os or manufacturer deciding for me what apps I want embedded I understand where Verizon is coming from. Don't put anybody's pay system on my device and let me decide ,via the Play Store, which I'd rather have. Then which is best will be decided by the owners of the devices and they'll all either sink or improve.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Reactions: cr6

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about it. Even though these "wallet" systems have been around for couple years now, none of them have really taken off yet, as major issues still need to be ironed out between manufacturers, pay systems, carrier's, etc. There have been so many changes and inconsistencies from the very beginning, that it's going to be years before people will trust them enough to use them on a regular basis. Why people are suddenly worried about it now, when it's really still in its infancy, is beyond me.
This is where Apple is going to blow Android out of the water. They have one pay system on their one OS that works across ALL carriers and they had a dozen major retailers set up and running within a month of going live. The only problem with Apple Pay is that it's currently only available on the iPhone 6 & 6S. (& their latest iPads versions) Meanwhile Absurdroid has multiple card systems that have all had multiple name changes and multiple issues since day one.
With all the data breaches that have happened lately (Target, Neiman Marcus, Home Depot,etc) still fresh in the minds of the consumer, I don't see any of these really taking off anytime soon.
Just my .2 cents worth via my FDIC'd debit card.

S5 tap'n

I somewhat agree.

Yeah it is not widespread as far as the wallet apps. In fact when I go into store I have to tell the registers who have them how to use it as most are still trying to go to barcode/qr code pay. I tell them wait do a credit card purchase, I touch the pad, and they are in awe.

As far as the Note 5, that is why I left Verizon. For all their reliability I got tired of the crap. Is At&t a step down, technically yeah they are not the top carrier and they have their own issues. But they allow enough compromise to give customers headway. As far as I know the At&t Note 5 may block Samsung Pay but at least I can buy from elsewhere and still use it on AT&T.

As far as the Pay apps I blame Google, Samsung, and Apple. Combined they could really push pay if they wanted to but they are failing on all fronts. First they are still "testing the waters" vs pushing this forward. Because they don't care we don't care, and neither do the stores.

Apple, Samsung, and Google (Alphabet) need to join forces to push pay technology with strength, leading the charge vs not believing. Being they all use similar technology (NFC pay) it will benefit all in the long run for them to push more stores move forward.

Lastly, more companies need to adopt the Loop Pay Technology, purchased by Samsung,(Samsung acquires Apple Pay competitor LoopPay so users can still use pay apps while technology catches up.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Problem is, everyone wants their piece of the pie and until they can ALL come to an agreement, these wallet apps will continue to flounder on Android devices....at least until they can work together FOR the people. While I don't think it's right what Verizon is doing, it's not important (or relevant) enough in my day to day, for me to be overly concerned about it.

S5 tap'n

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Problem is, everyone wants their piece of the pie and until they can ALL come to an agreement, these wallet apps will continue to flounder on Android devices....at least until they can work together FOR the people. While I don't think it's right what Verizon is doing, it's not important (or relevant) enough in my day to day, for me to be overly concerned about it.

S5 tap'n

That is the key there and one of the reasons VZW is slow to change. For many of its customers they can care less because it do not effect how they us their phones (with wallet being it is still faster to whip out you card then to unlock, enter your pin, and touch it at the right spot while talking the cashier on what button to push).

All the arguments we had against Verizon in the past from the poor location of their branding logos, apps, to changing the way the device was meant to be released. Most of the people making those argument...or even caring about it is so small...yet we loose that sense being we are on a forum where the loudest 10 are making the complaint so we feel that is how every one feel. The reality is those that really cared either moved on or it didn't bother them as much as they thought.

boidsonly

Reaction score
If one of VZW's boneheaded decisions is a deal breaker for you, personally, then vote with your wallet or carrier choice. I left VZW for another carrier when I had reached my boneheaded decision limit. That will be different for each user, if it matters at all.