Verizon No Longer Letting Customers Upgrade Early?

badgers0048

Reaction score
So I am eligible to upgrade on June 30th and figured I could sweet talk my way into getting an upgrade 5 or 6 weeks early since I know others have gotten early upgrades in the past. But I went into my local Verizon store and the rep told me that as of April 1st, Verizon is only letting customers upgrade up to 5 days before they are eligible. Did anybody else hear or know of this? Did I miss an announcement?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yeah i think that announcement came around the same time that they did away with one year contracts (as long as i didn't imagine that one) and switched the return period from 30 days to 14. i could be wrong but i think those announcements all came one after the other.

lumpysherman

Reaction score
I just checked and I am eligible for early upgrade and if I wait until 7/28 I can use my new every 2 discount.

OP
B

badgers0048

Reaction score
So has anybody been able to get Verizon to move up their upgrade date by more than 5 days lately? I was hoping to get the X2 on May 12 (if the rumored release date is true), but it looks like I'll have to wait until June 30th when I'm actually eligible. Oh well, not the end of the world I guess.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So has anybody been able to get Verizon to move up their upgrade date by more than 5 days lately? I was hoping to get the X2 on May 12 (if the rumored release date is true), but it looks like I'll have to wait until June 30th when I'm actually eligible. Oh well, not the end of the world I guess.

They've been trying to get my wife to do an early upgrade. I don't know what her date is but she's been getting emails from Verizon offering to upgrade her early.

pdc419

Reaction score
Are you guys talking about the actual 2 ye date?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
B

badgers0048

Reaction score
[/quote]They've been trying to get my wife to do an early upgrade. I don't know what her date is but she's been getting emails from Verizon offering to upgrade her early.[/QUOTE]

Well that's encouraging. Yeah, it would be interesting to know what her upgrade date is. I guess it wouldn't hurt to call Verizon and see if they could move up my date. The Verizon rep I spoke to seemed pretty adamant though that they weren't going to be moving up upgrade dates anymore.

Skrat982

Reaction score
Have a friend who bought his Droid1 two months after I purchased mine. He called Verizon and complained about his phone and was allowed to upgrade early. I called and complained about my phone, an original Droid that was having serious problems and verified by the local Verizon store manager and I was told I could upgrade, BUT NOT TO AN HTC THUNDERBOLT OR AN IPHONE 4. They were pushing me to a Blackberry Pro. Then just to make things worse another friend who purchased a Droid1 after me gets a letter inviting her to upgrade early. I have been an Ameritech/Verizon cellular customer since 1991. What a way to run a company!!!
:lifting:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's why I say don't count on a corporation reciprocating your loyalty.

howzball

Reaction score
We've actually gotten phone calls from Verizon wanting us to upgrade and we clearly have 4 more months until our 20 month time is up and 8 months until our contract expires.

I maybe mistaken about this but, if you re-new early then you lose the "new every two" deal and I assumed that's why Verizon wanted us to upgrade.

If I call the 611 number on my phone I get the message that I'm due an upgrade.

OP
B

badgers0048

Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if the Verizon rep I spoke to was just trying to talk me into buying a phone at full retail.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I maybe mistaken about this but, if you re-new early then you lose the "new every two" deal and I assumed that's why Verizon wanted us to upgrade.

Your going to lose it anyway...Once you upgrade NE2 is no longer offered.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
^I dont get it, so what they expect us to pay full price every 2 years for a new phone? I cant see why they would drop this deal since its more money in there pocket. :s

I was told I could upgrade, BUT NOT TO AN HTC THUNDERBOLT OR AN IPHONE 4. They were pushing me to a Blackberry Pro.
:lifting:

Dunno how much a BB Pro is but wow you would think they would be open to you buying 2 of there most expensive phones.