Verizon mobile hotspot

simpsonao17

Reaction score
I have a HTC thunderbolt and the 4g hotspot will be working then stop and drop all data. Ut sucks when u are paying for a feature that seems to have no solution

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Bodawg

Reaction score
I also have the thunderbolt. I love this phone! But I dropped hotspot from my data plan for that exact reason. This phone is amazing running on all cylinders. But until Verizon runs well, our phones will suffer.

OP
simpsonao17

simpsonao17

Reaction score
They suggested factory resetting would resolve it than if not of course they will ship me a refurbished meaning one restored from previous issues. Whatever happen to Verizon Wireless #1 customer service?

NACPEYE

Reaction score
It's not just the Tbolt that is having problems with Hotspot. If you check the other phone forums, they are having the same problems. It is actually a software problem between the connected devices, and allegedly Verizon & HTC are working on it. I solved my problem with a program that changes the internet connection settings. See http://www.droidforums.net/forum/thunderbolt-tech-support/193703-hotspot-data-drops-solved.html. It worked for me after 3 replacements, several adjustments by Tech support, and numerous wasted hours on the phone. Good luck!

Fonzz

Reaction score
I have a HTC thunderbolt and the 4g hotspot will be working then stop and drop all data. Ut sucks when u are paying for a feature that seems to have no solution

I'm also paying for and using the hotspot feature and using tons of data (unlimited). I also have problems now and then and it's frustrating. I'd read on this forum some comments from others about getting compensated for this via a discount on our bills. The most I heard about was a 30$ credit. I called them myself a few days ago, asked for and received the same 30$ credit off my bill. That made me feel a little better about the sub-par service for now. I've been with Verizon for a long time, perhaps you can do the same.

Charged

Reaction score
The lying Verizon reps/tech support people always act so shocked when I tell them about the problem I'm having (which is yours as well). The last time I called (i've gotten multiple phone replacements) they said I was on the "edge of the network" and that's why it wouldn't work and they suggested I just drop the plan (they would let me out of my contract for free). I explained that I have been all over the frigging US with the same problem and they said they would let me replace my phone with the LG Revolution. (No thanks. That would be a downgrade. Would it kill you to offer me a newer phone after I already agreed to switch to the cheaper Thunderbolt from the Charge?)

Bodawg

Reaction score
If anything at all, these post serve as a learning experience for all of us. It's easy to promote a product with flashy bells and whistles. But to stand behind your product and the services promised to customers, seems to be a thing of the past. That being said, its really up to us to be content with our phones prior to leaving the store. Never anticipate an upgrade or network assistance. If we can do that, the rest is just gravy.

OP
simpsonao17

simpsonao17

Reaction score
I agree with you on that. This was the best phone they came out with at the time yet they couldn't even back up their own product. Instead we are and were forced to sit with the problems while being fed ridiculous excuses when the real excuse is verizon itself. I can't wait till the new droid razr with the larger battery comes out because I will probably be getting that one asap. That is really the only phone I would want besides my thunderbolt. Even though I don't like Motorola either.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums

mikehal38

Reaction score
The mobile hotspot app is just junk. I have tethering on my charge and when I use the hotspot app it drops constantly. But if I use the wifi tethering app I have no drops at all. Verizon just meds to fix their software and stop sending people replacement phones...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Bodawg

Reaction score
Honestly, I think we are all caught in a vicious cycle. We keep getting new phones that are faster and have better memory or bigger screens, etc. But the truth is, without great continued service, what good is a device that requires all of that and more? Sure! Phones will keep getting better, stronger and faster. But will service to these devices ever keep up? I think I need proof of this prior to getting excited over a new cool name with a fancy commercial.

OP
simpsonao17

simpsonao17

Reaction score
It seems the only solution is to root your phone yet if you root your phone and you have gingerbread word is that you can be tracked and charged....so idk.

dmack

Reaction score
I optimized my computer with speed guide and it still drops. now I know it is the phone because I caught it dropping data with mobile hot spot on and my computer was off and the phone was trying to update some apps and it dropped alot. Please come out with update to fix this my 30$ would appreciate it.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Data drops for me when tethering is on, off, connected to something else via WiFi, USB, Bluetooth.... It's not the computer you may be tethering to, it's not the settings, it's something with Verizon and their magic network. I think back to the good ol' days when my 3G smartphone tethered flawlessly, and then I couldn't even get that, but could with my Thunderbolt and the "legal" unlimited tethering promo...Then that too left me (us, really). Haha I actually just dropped to 1x and no bars...

But tethering works fine for me on Vicious MIUI ICS and any stock ROM prior to the July 2011 OTA that took free tethering away from stock users. Well... to be honest I can't remember if I had success with post July 2011 stock firmware (namely, the 2.3 GB update) paired with Barnacle of course.

Anyway, there's really nothing we can do :l

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
It seems the only solution is to root your phone yet if you root your phone and you have gingerbread word is that you can be tracked and charged....so idk.

I just rooted so of I use the WiFi tether ap they cab catch me ?

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
First of all, they who claim Verizon charged them for "illegal" tethering are liars. If you can tether without being signed up or being redirected to a Verizon Mobile Hotspot sign up page, your data use will appear as though you've been using your smartphone for all that data, not your computer/ps3/ipod touch, etc. The worst that will happen is throttling, which, according to Verizon, is for 3G only smartphones and in congested areas, assuming you're one of the top 5% of data users.

Secondly, tethering and data in general works flawlessly on my 3G only OG Droid, reactivate your 3G only smartphones, people! At least for now, and if you're not anywhere near 4G...I dunno, use your discretion, but I'm tellin ya, this is how I'm posting this.