Verizon Messaging or Google Talk?

voyager616

Reaction score
I recently bought a Droid (love it already!) and do not understand the difference in the Google Talk and the 'Messaging' (square green smiling face icon'). The Verizon sales person told me that the 'Messaging' is free and is related to the Google Talk, but when I look at them they are too different IM apps. I told the sales person that I wanted a free IM because my wife and I used BB Messenger all the time to chat and send pics and sound files that we take of our kids. I am suspicious about the 'Messenger' because i just attached a pic to a message to my my wife and a short quick message popped up and disappeared saying converting to SMS and there will be a charge. What gives?! Any help appreciated.

Also..So to get the 'Messaging' from Verizon would be included in one of their texting packages, so is not free, while the Google Talk is not charged by Verizon and is free?

Last edited:

AquaDan88

Reaction score
Google Talk is a messaging service that uses your gmail account to send messages to other gmail users in your contacts list.

Verizon messaging is regular SMS/MMS to phone numbers.

Nick177th

Reaction score
I recently bought a Droid (love it already!) and do not understand the difference in the Google Talk and the 'Messaging' (square green smiling face icon'). The Verizon sales person told me that the 'Messaging' is free and is related to the Google Talk, but when I look at them they are too different IM apps. I told the sales person that I wanted a free IM because my wife and I used BB Messenger all the time to chat and send pics and sound files that we take of our kids. I am suspicious about the 'Messenger' because i just attached a pic to a message to my my wife and a short quick message popped up and disappeared saying converting to SMS and there will be a charge. What gives?! Any help appreciated.

Just throwing my limited knowledge out there but, SMS is texting. MMS is picture/video etc. If I'm not mistaken, unlimited texting does not automatically give you free picture mail. someone else can weigh in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Droid187

Reaction score
Gtalk uses data as where Verizons messenger uses text. Use Gtalk if you dont have unlimited texting. I actually saved money by going with a lower plan to use less texts by using Gtalk with this. its a great app but you cant send files with it. Most verizon droid owners have the unlimited data plan so use it to your advantage for the overpriced service. :) You could probably use a voice chat program that uses data as well and you could lower your plan for minutes and text that way to make up for the cost of the pricey data plan. Just my 2 cents.:)

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe you can use the yahoo messenger app for text, video chat, pic messaging through data use not plan minutes, but I am not entirely sure and you need a yahoo email acct. There is also kik messenger in the market

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
...I like gtalk the best though

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Droid187

Reaction score
I just use my text or email for sending pics and gtalk for text.

want a droid

Reaction score
If you're looking for a replacement app, there a multiple that use data and are much like bbm. I use kik, which is currently being sued by RIM. There is also an app called pingchat.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App