Verizon "converts instant messages to text, can we bypass?

BobBirchin

Reaction score
I did a search on this and most of the forums are rather old and don’t quite answer the question.

I have a Droid 3 on Verizon, I do not have a text package, just never really liked to text. The other day I tried chatting with Yahoo Messenger with one of my Yahoo contacts. Just wanted to see how it worked on a Smartphone. Later noticed on my “data app” that I had used 9 text messages. Wasn’t sure where that came from at first, wanted to blame the kids, but the detail on the bill revealed that the texts were from my YIM session.

So I was charged .20 for messages that would be free if done on a computer. Thanks Verizon for that little piece of work.

Suppose back in the day of “semi-smart” phones it may have been convenient for people to have an application that would let you text --TO-- YIM, AOL, or MSN. However, why would it be convenient to convert an instant message to a text in the day of the Smartphone? More money for Verizon perhaps?

So the question, anyone figure out a way to bypass this? My one thought would be to download a browsing app (Dolphin) that supported the desktop version of yahoo mail. Stock browser always goes to the mobile version.

But I was hoping there would be a bypass that twists the knife in Verizon a little harder.

Some sites that reflect how Verizon turns IM into text:
Media from Verizon Wireless - Media from Verizon Wireless - Mobile IM

Answers to FAQs about instant messaging

Last edited:

sonixmon

Reaction score
I did a search on this and most of the forums are rather old and don’t quite answer the question.

I have a Droid 3 on Verizon, I do not have a text package, just never really liked to text. The other day I tried chatting with Yahoo Messenger with one of my Yahoo contacts. Just wanted to see how it worked on a Smartphone. Later noticed on my “data app” that I had used 9 text messages. Wasn’t sure where that came from at first, wanted to blame the kids, but the detail on the bill revealed that the texts were from my YIM session.

So I was charged .20 for messages that would be free if done on a computer. Thanks Verizon for that little piece of work.

Suppose back in the day of “semi-smart” phones it may have been convenient for people to have an application that would let you text --TO-- YIM, AOL, or MSN. However, why would it be convenient to convert an instant message to a text in the day of the Smartphone? More money for Verizon perhaps?

So the question, anyone figure out a way to bypass this? My one thought would be to download a browsing app (Dolphin) that supported the desktop version of yahoo mail. Stock browser always goes to the mobile version.

But I was hoping there would be a bypass that twists the knife in Verizon a little harder.

Some sites that reflect how Verizon turns IM into text:
Media from Verizon Wireless - Media from Verizon Wireless - Mobile IM

Answers to FAQs about instant messaging

I am not sure about Yahoo msg, but I use Google Voice for texting (free). It does not support pix currently though. I have heard others use handcent or something like that.

I have minimal text package for those who dont know my Gvoice # and so I can S/R pix!