Verizon Launching The Next Xoom Tablets as Droid Xyboard 8.2 & 10.1

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Motorola-Droid-Xyboard.jpg

Apparently, the name Xoom 2 was a bit too boring for Verizon. A new report has surfaced indicating that they plan to sell the two new Xoom tablets with different monikers. The tablets will be called the Droid Xyboard 8.2 and the Droid Xyboard 10.1. Although at first this story looked like it might have been a rumor (and we hoped it would too), as it turns out, Verizon recently applied for trademark protection on "Xyboard," which all but assures the accuracy of the info.

This may be a move to differentiate from the original Xoom which hasn't really sold like gang-busters. Still, these new names seem far out of left field. What do you guys think?

Source: XoomForums via PocketNow

J

JohnDroid

Not a fan of the name. Looks cool, sounds funky. Doesn't roll off the tongue at all.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Yea, that name isn't great. People have a hard time pronouncing my nick-name "xsylus" so I imagine they will have an equally difficult time pronouncing "Xyboard" correctly. I didn't mind the name XOOM. Besides, it's not the name that determines how many will sell, it's the price! I keep seeing fully functional laptops online for $220 so why would I want to spend twice that much on a tablet computer? I do like design/shape of these new tablets; the Droid Razr and Droid 4 both have similar designs.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Xyboard sounds an awful lot like Cyborg. possibly that's what they were going for? A smart, robust, robotic device, complete with a human touch. OBVIOUSLY this is hinting at the fact they'll be swapping out the Kevlar on the back for human skin and the Gorilla glass for a human cornea-like material. Tsh...finally! ;)

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
IMO, what sells the device is a good MARKETING strategy more than anything. None of the Android ones have sold anywhere near the iPad because most cannot NAME anything else. If they want to put a serious dent into something, they have to market the heck out of it.

Ironicaclly, Apple has probably given the Android tablets more free advertising than anyone else with the lawsuits.

smilepak

Reaction score
Man, I sure hope they come up with an adapter so the Media Dock and Desktop Dock are compatible. I have like total of 4 of those. Sure hate to have to get new ones ahhaah. Would love to add another XOOM to the collection for personal usage

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
IMO, what sells the device is a good MARKETING strategy more than anything. None of the Android ones have sold anywhere near the iPad because most cannot NAME anything else. If they want to put a serious dent into something, they have to market the heck out of it.

Ironicaclly, Apple has probably given the Android tablets more free advertising than anyone else with the lawsuits.

I agree with Fish, it's all about marketing. With the Droid branding on these new tablets, they'll probably do real good with this line if VZW is going to put up some bucks for it (compared to Moto's marketing of the OG Xoom, which was a complete joke).

djembeman

Reaction score
laughter

My first gut response was laughter, but with the Droid branding I could see this working. It also looks like Motorola is starting a theme of Droid RAZR shaped devices. These new tablets and the rumored Droid 4 so far.