Verizon Kicks Off Smart Rewards Program Nationwide

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-smart-rewards.png

Although Verizon unquestionably offers great service and a solid network, they aren't exactly known for their generosity to customers. Starting late yesterday they took a step toward changing that...

Big Red just kicked of their Smart Rewards program. The program was already available in a few states as a test, but now Verizon has deemed it worthy of a national launch.

Smart Rewards allows customers to earn points for simply handling your typical business with Verizon, like logging in to My Verizon, signing up for paperless billing, paying a bill online, etc. The program basically attempts to reward you with points for sticking with Verizon as a customer. These points can be later traded in for free stuff. Here's a quote with some of the rewards examples,

"...discounts and savings of up to 40 percent on brand-name merchandise from more than 200 well-known brands, offers on local shopping and dining redeemable directly from a customer’s wireless device, and travel including discounts at more than 26,000 hotels.”

Apparently, shipping on all merchandise you "earn" is free and includes a lowest-price guarantee. The program starts on July 24th for all post-paid subscribers and just signing up automatically grants you 10,000 points.

There is a catch though... (you knew there would be). It appears you will need to also sign up for Verizon Selects. This is part of Precision Market Insights from Verizon, which is a marketing company that shares your family's personal usage amongst other companies. When you sign up for that, you will also get 2,500 bonus points and 500 points per line each month.

We aren't sure if this is required but it appears so for now. Sound off in the thread if you can confirm or deny this detail, and of course let us know what you think of Verizon's new "rewards" program.

Source: VZW

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm....one step close to eliminating subsidies all together. You want a discounted phone, then VZW is going to need to track you and sell that to advertisers.

I'll wait to see how generous they are with the points. I think it probably would need to be at least $100 per year (per phone) to make this worth my while.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Verizon is already doing this. Now all they are doing is getting your consent for a measly rewards program.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yo, Big Red! Taking away our unlimited plans and then offering us this dren is like punching us in the stomach and asking us if we aren't glad you stopped punching us in the nose.

486468_483073481722110_439487325_n.jpg

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Verizon is already doing this. Now all they are doing is getting your consent for a measly rewards program.

I'm guessing people are opting-out or turning off location reporting to VZW. So the purpose of this would seem to be to provide incentive for people to cooperate so VZW can monetize the data.

Curious to see how "generous" the reward is. There's money in it for VZW because of the huge numbers of people, but individually I don't think there's enough money to effectively incentivize people. Maybe I'm grossly underestimating the value to marketers and campaigners.