Verizon Flooding Market?

butterfras

Reaction score
Does anybody think that Verizon is flooding the market or at least their own product line with Android phones? The way I see it, there's maybe a need for 4 devices: entry level w/ keyboard (Devour), Entry Level no keyboard (Eris), High End w/ keyboard (DROID), High End no Keyboard (Incredible). So what's the point of other phones like the Ally? It just doesn't make sense to me. Any ideas? Anybody else feel like this is too much too fast? I just worry that not all the Android models will be successful (Specifically the Devour and the Ally) and that it might leave a bad taste.

bronx finest

Reaction score
Options, if customers have options, they will use them.

Some people don't need all the power that the Droid/Incredible offer, so Mom & Pop may be just fine w/ a Devour or Eris.

It's just like BlackBerry, they have 10 different models depending on what's important to you and your budget.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Selection is a good thing. I personally don't like going to a restaurant that has like 5 items on the menu. I want some variety to pick and choose from.

There are a whole bunch of former AT&T people who left for that same reason. No selections in their phones.

papy72

Reaction score
Some people are very brand-loyal (like me - I luvs Moto), so adding an LG android phone is a pretty good idea.

HarshReality

Reaction score
Well, as I am on Verizon my version of the market has a 'verizon' header next to paid apps an free apps. Since I have no 'newest' apps sorting the only time anything shows up is if I specifically search 'verizon' or hit the header tab for them.

In all seriousness Ive seen 4 things in your post.. 1. Concern for app compatibility 2. Concern for the number of apps and of course 3. Who is supplying those apps. 4. The number of Android Devices. I'll go one at a time.

1. App compatibility.. using a Droid I have seen a ton of apps that dont work with one or the other and they are free so its a matter of choice to try it or not. Nobody is making solid claims on compatibility that I have seen.

2. Number of apps.. more apps.. == more to choose from == better chance of getting exactly or close to what your after.

Before I say the obvious with #3 I'll go for 4. Number of Devices.. There is no limits on creativity or the Android OS. The number of devices isnt determined by Android but by anyone who chooses to load drivers and make use of it. So in the end its who all chooses to make android devices and demand for.. choice.

And lastly 3. The one providing the apps... We really dont want to be like a certain other apps store and start slamming doors on prospective developers. We will take what we can get and leave the choice up to you.

B

bthomp21

the thing i keep hearing the most is that android has to have many different phones and att has one "great" phone. the way i look at it is, its a variety for different user needs/wants. personally im sick of a new android phone every other month, the technology is barely different from phone to phone.

/noob showing

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Considering that the standard complaint about VZW for years was the limited choice among devices, it's amusing to see a complaint about too many choices.

Still, I can understand the OP's perspective. It does appear that the market is being flooded with an avalanche of mediocre android phones. (And not just on Verizon.)

There are several factors involved, I think.

First, the fact that the android o/s is virtually free means that manufacturers can slap it on just about any device that meets its minimum requirements and save either the development of licensing costs of other platforms.

Second, and more important, I think, is that manufacturers have not yet figured out the "sweet spot" for mobile devices. Do consumers want a device they can put in a shirt pocket? Yes. Do they want a physical keyboard? Many do. Do they want a device that weighs no more than 5 ounces? Yes. Do they want a huge bright screen? You betcha; the bigger the better. Four inches, five inches, nine inches. YES! Do they want at least two cameras? Sure. A holographic keyboard and display? YES! Should the device read your thoughts? Great! Is it more important to have a phone that does Facebook or corporate email? Talking or messaging? All of those. And the list goes on and on...

In short, manufacturers aren't at all sure which features are REALLY important to consumers. Or to put it more precisely, what conflicting priorities consumers are willing to sacrifice. So they throw various models out and hope one or another model becomes the next "killer device" that only Apple has managed to build.

Finally, there's simply the "fashion" factor. The market shifted from gray phones to multiple colors. From bricks to flip phones; from flip phones to sliders, and on and on. For consumers who wouldn't wear last year's clothes from the Gap, it's important to have new phones when the seasons change.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
the thing i keep hearing the most is that android has to have many different phones and att has one "great" phone. the way i look at it is, its a variety for different user needs/wants. personally im sick of a new android phone every other month, the technology is barely different from phone to phone.

/noob showing

Yes it's more variety then anything else, but then again it's also every phone maker trying to make a buck. Does verizon have to offer every makers phone, no, but they do so we can have a choice on what we want, and not be given something that may or may not have the features we want on it. Yes the technology isn't a MAJOR upgrade from phone to phone, but it's just like computers, now adays there aren't huge differences between most computers out there, just certain things, like CPU and graphics cards. Similar to how the phones are. All in all i'm happy i have what i have, and have very few complaints about it. I don't mind new phones coming out every month, it means there is alot of competition which means bigger and better upgrades when you go to upgrade to your new phone.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just worry that not all the Android models will be successful (Specifically the Devour and the Ally) and that it might leave a bad taste.
Why do you think that they all have to be successful?

iPirate

Reaction score
If there were only 4 phones they would cost $1,000 because there would be no competition between phone makers