Seriously Verizon?!? Are you releasing ANY new phones with Keyboards?

MK17

Reaction score
I think I'm the only one on this forum who really dislikes swype. I cannot for the life of me swype at all. Actually slows me down.....used it for one day never to go back

Have you tried it recently? I know I tried Swype and thought it was cool but couldn't stand landscape mode so I got rid of it. I tried it again recently and I can say that I am impressed and will be keeping it.

I do have to say I still use the physical keyboard a lot but could survive without it very easily now. I also use Sywpe primarily for typing in portrait mode. It is really nice for one hand action.

And back to the topic... I love my OG Droid physical keyboard but i don't think I'll ever own another phone with one. My main reason is that I want to get an otterbox for my next phone and the only way I'm getting the ridiculously durable on is if my phone has no physical keyboard. I have no problem with the thickness of my phone though. I would carry a galaxy tab as a phone if I could.

Do you think Verizon will ever make a waterproof high end android device??? that would be my ultimate phone with a sweet indestructible cover.

MK17

Reaction score
I love my D1 keyboard. Couldn't go without one, especially since I have the good version with the rounded keys instead of flat

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Oddly enough, when I got my replacement Droid I went from the round keys to the flat one and I like the flat ones much more for some reason...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hardware keyboards have been shown to be for people who have limited/poor hand-eye coordination. These people are a minority and studies have shown that these types of people require the extra sense of feeling a physical key to accurately acknowledge location where as normal people only require the physical movement of the thumb to accurately acknowledge a location of a virtual key on a screen. If you have trouble using on-screen keyboards then unfortunately you fall into this category of dysfunction.
Nonsense. Citations? I have no problems using virtual keyboards but it's impossible to touch type with them.

On-screen keyboards are ridiculously faster to type on than the slow pressing of hardware buttons.
Again, citations?

I think I'm the only one on this forum who really dislikes swype. I cannot for the life of me swype at all. Actually slows me down.....used it for one day never to go back
Did you take a break from reading this site? There are plenty of people who don't like Swype. It's extremely unlikely for any person to be the only one with a given opinion.

You can say it's preference, but in the end, it's that you just haven't gotten used to the virtual keyboard, because it's leaps and bounds ahead of the physical keyboard.
No, it's not. It's preference -- just as any comparison of what's better. Better is always subjective. If you're referring specifically to the Droid, the Droid's physical keyboard is a terrible example of a physical keyboard so I would agree with you in that regard.

Last edited:

666ogre666

Reaction score
I love my D1 keyboard. Couldn't go without one, especially since I have the good version with the rounded keys instead of flat

Oddly enough, when I got my replacement Droid I went from the round keys to the flat one and I like the flat ones much more for some reason...

Really? I can barely use the flat keyboard.

souljerr

Reaction score
I bought my D1 because of the keyboard (had a couple of treos before) and can't see myself ever owning a phone without one. All of the new phone specs are nice but until there's a keyboard superphone, it's D1 for me.

NVash

Reaction score
I wouldnt have a Droid 1 if it didnt have the keyboard. I had just come from an all touch screen and was sick of it. Even now as I think about getting the iPhone I remember how tired I was and am of the touch screen. The Droid 1 touch screen annoys me, I prefer a keyboard. It has nothing to do with coordination, its more to do with the fact that I get tired of the auto correct 'fixing' words that dont need to be fixed when Im trying to txt, the touch screen often freezing up when I try to do things, and sometimes it not even responding at all so the phone has to be rebooted. This isnt just my Droid, I know my Droid has problems but its other phones as well. I messed with an EnV Touch recently, it was locked and no matter how many times I tried to slide the button to unlock it the thing would not register that I touched it. I get tired of that kind of junk. Not only the Locks, whos bright idea was that anyway, but also problems with touch screens. So if they dont have a phone with a physical keyboard I dont know what Ill upgrade to if I do at all.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not only the Locks, whos bright idea was that anyway, but also problems with touch screens.

Don't get me started! Not to get off-topic, but Google killed that option with Froyo. I can enable/disable the passcode automatically with locale - get rid of the darn slider I've never had my phone turn on because it's hard enough to hit the power button when you're trying to!

On a more related note, I suspect we'll see a slider. None of the 4 CES devices - and of course the IP5 in June - have a slider. So I would bet money one of the very next devices to come out (after those) will have a slider. Unfortunately that means Q3 for you all.

jbdow

Reaction score
It seems the issue as i'm hearing it is that everybody wants to be as up to date
with the tech on their phones as possible- while in the past i usually only thought of this
as a monetary issue, this thread reminds me that there can be other considerations.
As for myself, i have a d2g, and everything i'm seeing to my personal taste and
expectations is that there's nothing on the horizon that would make me want to get
something new that doesn't have a physical keyboard. me and my dysfunctional bad
self. A faster processor and possible 4g is not a game changing event to me; the tech
i have in hand now, i believe will keep me more than satisfied/happy for at least the
next year or so, of course i understand that ymmv...

r, john

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
detachable/usb/bluetooth keyboard. Nuff said.

Detachable would be slick, except I'd never have it attached on the rare occasions I might want it! But it's a heck of an idea because it could be sold separately as an accessory. We saw some hybrid tablet/netbooks with this, so it's definitely possible - a keyboard dock done right could turn your phone into a slider. Maybe we'll see something like that at Barcelona next month.

Problem with bluetooth is it forces you to carry another device (and another to worry about charging, yuck). And I think a BT keyboard COULD be great, but only if you've got an external monitor attached via USB/HDMIT.

Last edited: