Verizon Droid 2 Global Unlocked

Pravesh

Reaction score
Hi,
I purchased an unlocked verizon droid 2 global to use in south america, where I live. I went to my country's carrier and requested to have the internet service activated for my phone. They configured the APN, and then after it did not work, they told me the phone was still locked. The service rep told me that even though the phone was unlocked for calls, it was still locked for data.
Is this possible? And if so, how can I possibly unlock it for data?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's no "locked for data". The subsidy lock only prevents you from using another carrier's SIM. It's either locked or unlocked. Sounds like it isn't properly configured to me.

OP
P

Pravesh

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Takeshi. It didnt make sense to me either when they said its locked. I will have to try again..

Ojelola

Reaction score
The phone is probably not picking up the appropriate APNs (Access Point Names) from the SIM card. Without the proper APN information, data services will not work. So, you would have to manually edit/add a valid APN for the area and service provider where you want to use the phone. On Motorola phones, you will usually find the APN setting through Settings / Wireless & Network / Mobile Networks / Access Point Names.

aznightshade

Reaction score
Hi,
I purchased an unlocked verizon droid 2 global to use in south america, where I live. I went to my country's carrier and requested to have the internet service activated for my phone. They configured the APN, and then after it did not work, they told me the phone was still locked. The service rep told me that even though the phone was unlocked for calls, it was still locked for data.
Is this possible? And if so, how can I possibly unlock it for data?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I do not want to upset you but I had the same problem with Droid 2 Global - never resolved. I even started a few threads to find out if any Global phones from Verizon can pick up data abroad with non Verizon SIM cards. The first thing people say - oh, APN settings are wrong, but I don't think it has anything to do with wrong APN settings. I tried too many times with different carriers and in different countries - nothing, just voice. I have a conspiracy theory that Verizon somehow did lock data feature on their Global phones. At least, that's my stand until I see people who managed to get data with Adroid based Verizon Global phones abroad using non Verizon SIM cards. So far, I only saw people with iPhone from Verizon who were getting data without any problems.

aznightshade

Reaction score
The phone is probably not picking up the appropriate APNs (Access Point Names) from the SIM card. Without the proper APN information, data services will not work. So, you would have to manually edit/add a valid APN for the area and service provider where you want to use the phone. On Motorola phones, you will usually find the APN setting through Settings / Wireless & Network / Mobile Networks / Access Point Names.

Just realized that you resurrected this thread from 2011. Why?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I would bet that the reason why it showed up in your recent threads is because spam was posted, then deleted by our super fast Moderators. None the less, the topic is still relevant. There are some threads regarding using foreign Sims on the Razr.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Apn settings are the problem. you have to add apn settings yourself. I had to so that for data only Sim cards, even for a combo card and i got data to work on my d2g in UAE, Bahrain, Singapore, Greece, and Italy.

Sent from My Droid RAZR MAXX with Tapatalk.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Otherwise, try switching from global to gsm only. I'm not sure if there is a cdma signal there but in global mode, it chooses cdma first, even if you are roaming.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Apn settings are the problem. you have to add apn settings yourself. I had to so that for data only Sim cards, even for a combo card and i got data to work on my d2g in UAE, Bahrain, Singapore, Greece, and Italy.

Btw, i had non verizon sim cards and they worked., e.g. i had an m1 in Singapore, wind In greece, du in the UAE, zain in Bahrain, vodafone IT in Italy.....