Verizon Disposes Of 8,500 Customers For Using Too Much Data

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus2cee_verizon-satan-png.77896

Verizon just dismissed more than 8,500 customers in rural areas for using a "substantial amount of data". Verizon of course offers "unlimited data" to their customers. Many of the customers dismissed were on these unlimited data plans. Verizon was apparently spending too much money to get their data to rural areas like Alaska, Idaho, Montana, and Utah. For this reason Verizon decided it wasn't worth having the customers.

These customers live outside of areas where Verizon operates our own network,” Verizon stated of the move. “Many of the affected consumer lines use a substantial amount of data while roaming on other providers’ networks and the roaming costs generated by these lines exceed what these consumers pay us each month.

Verizon will be turning off 8,500 accounts, 19,000 lines in 13 states. These customers have until October 17th to find a new provider. They were not given an option to continue service with Verizon. One of the affected customer who spoke with Ars Technica said that her family with four lines used about 55GB per month in total. Each line is allowed 22GB before throttling according to Verizon's plan. The family should be able to use 88GB before incurring throttling according to Verizon. Should Verizon be responsible for supporting these customers at a loss since they sold these customers the plan?

via Ars Technica

Attachments

• nexus2cee_verizon-satan.png
    nexus2cee_verizon-satan.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 2,003

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
When I first read this headline I laughed. It sounds like they are making mob hits on them "disposing" of them. LOL. I personally think they should have to honor the contracts they signed with all these people and not be able to drop them until the contracts expire. Contracts work both ways and have 2 sides. Love the name of the linked photo too. verizon-satan.png. LOL

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
These articles keep mentioning their data plan, they are not being dropped because of their data plans.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
When I first read this headline I laughed. It sounds like they are making mob hits on them "disposing" of them. LOL. I personally think they should have to honor the contracts they signed with all these people and not be able to drop them until the contracts expire. Contracts work both ways and have 2 sides. Love the name of the linked photo too. verizon-satan.png. LOL

I’m sure these customers are not under contracts.... Verizon is not THAT dumb to put themselves at a legal risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Domestic violence

Reaction score
I've been on T-Mo for quite some time now. $90/mo for 2 lines with unli,tied everything. Now I also get Netflix included with the plan.

Verizon is literally being crushed right before our eyes and I love it. Their greedy, money grabbing tactics make me hate a corporation like them. While their customer service (and cell service) was always excellent, their rates are simply not competitive anymore. T-Mo ENCOURAGES their customers to use as much data as they can!

With wifi calling on T-Mo, I haven't lost a call, data, service.... nothing- since I switched. I am 100% happy with them and recommend them to anyone who asks me.

I may also switch my plan from my name to my mothers and save an additional $40/mo as she is a "senior citizen" for which T-Mo offers my same plan for $60/mo for people over 60 (I think)

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
These articles keep mentioning their data plan, they are not being dropped because of their data plans.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

it is because of their data plans they are being dropped. if they did not have unlimited, there would not have been an issue with roaming charges.

Last edited:

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I’m sure these customers are not under contracts.... Verizon is not THAT dumb to put themselves at a legal risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they are under contract BUT Verizon is canceling the contracts and forgiving the remaining balanced on whatever phones and devices they were paying on in those contracts.

Last edited:

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
they are under contract BUT Verizon is canceling the contracts and forgiving the remaining balanced on whatever phones and devices they were paying on in those contracts.
Hope they just Got some new Phones on Device Payment. lol

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
In the article I read, they interviewed some guy who recently spent almost 3600 for new phones and tablets he is basically getting free. :)
That is Awesome in a way for him. I was Considering T-Mo. But i dont think i will truly be saving that much for the better Coverage. The Fee are like adding another line at almost $20 Total.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I've been on T-Mo for quite some time now. $90/mo for 2 lines with unli,tied everything. Now I also get Netflix included with the plan.

Verizon is literally being crushed right before our eyes and I love it. Their greedy, money grabbing tactics make me hate a corporation like them. While their customer service (and cell service) was always excellent, their rates are simply not competitive anymore. T-Mo ENCOURAGES their customers to use as much data as they can!

With wifi calling on T-Mo, I haven't lost a call, data, service.... nothing- since I switched. I am 100% happy with them and recommend them to anyone who asks me.

I may also switch my plan from my name to my mothers and save an additional $40/mo as she is a "senior citizen" for which T-Mo offers my same plan for $60/mo for people over 60 (I think)

We recently switched to T-mobile as well.... Really enjoying the service and the savings so far!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Normally I think reactions to VZW are overblown and irrational, just the typical "bahhhh!!!! big corporate bad!!!!".

But this is a pretty lousy thing to do. It's a total drop in the bucket, and those people probably have no other option for phone or internet. I think you can do a public service for 8500 people, or get together with your partners and figure out the sharing/roaming agreements.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
Normally I think reactions to VZW are overblown and irrational, just the typical "bahhhh!!!! big corporate bad!!!!".

But this is a pretty lousy thing to do. It's a total drop in the bucket, and those people probably have no other option for phone or internet. I think you can do a public service for 8500 people, or get together with your partners and figure out the sharing/roaming agreements.
if they are roaming on other network than there must be another service they can use, as someone owns whatever wireless they have been getting, So i would think at least they do have another option, if its tmobile that just upped unlimited to 50 gigs before throttle and they jsut got their phones all paid off they may come out ahead on it all. It may not be the nicest thing to do but if verizon is paying more for their usage than they are getting you cant blame them. I dont see this as that bad of a thing. unlke selling unlimited while advertising non throttled video than throttling it without paying off peoples phones now that i find crimnial and i sure hope we see a lawsuit or a fine coming, not that any of that helps the people who got screwed, but i have done my part by filing complaint with veriozn the fcc and the ftc, hopefully more people did that as that i do find as fraud.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
all I know is someone at verizon did not do their homework for those areas. I mean if you advertised unlimited to get customers in those areas, and not realized how the roaming charges will affect them, there is something wrong. One thing for sure, if Verizon did not hove their own towers in the area, a very good chance T-mobile do not have towers.

Last edited: