Verizon Confirms 4G Disconnect Issues with HTC Thunderbolt; Working On Fix

drtechy

Reaction score
FYI- "Droid" is synonymously(too big of a word for you?) used with all Android phones.

Silly Kids.

Oh boy, Droid technically is a trademark for Verizon's android phones that they deem to be called droids. Technically speaking of course. In the community they are all droids.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
FYI- "Droid" is synonymously(too big of a word for you?) used with all Android phones.

Silly Kids.

Oh boy, Droid technically is a trademark for Verizon's android phones that they deem to be called droids. Technically speaking of course. In the community they are all droids.
Exactly my point. WE know the difference between a Droid and a Thunderbolt but to a lot of the general public they are just "Droids" unbeknownst to them that it's a trademark of Motorola.

drtechy

Reaction score

Silly Kids.

Exactly my point. WE know the difference between a Droid and a Thunderbolt but to a lot of the general public they are just "Droids" unbeknownst to them that it's a trademark of Motorola.

Again incorrect, Droid is owned by Verizon, not motorola, take for instance the droid incredible, its an HTC device.

Reaction score
Actually it's OWNED by Lucas films and leased by Verizon hehehe :p

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

UNC

Reaction score

Silly Kids.

In what community?? Most people call it "Android"... Don't believe me, check out an AT&T or T-mobile forum... They don't call a G2 or an EVO a "Droid".....

JVince

Reaction score
Don't confuse an internet forum with a community of phone owners. Most non techie people I know do not know the difference between a Droid and Android. Common enough mistake for people that just aren't interested in the tech, just want a cool phone.

Hell unless you're a gear head you probably won't know what size the motor is in your car, what timing you run or even where your camshaft is. Doesn't stop you from buying and driving a new car.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Go into the 4G hotspot application and select advanced, click on power mode. Try changing it to Always on. I've never had any disconnects but when I have the hotspot active I'm using it.

I only have the hotspot active when I am using it. And that's when the problems happen.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

blueglacia

Reaction score
Temporary solution to Verizon 4G disconnect problem: My Razr Maxx (ICS: less frequently) and new Razr Maxx HD (JB4.1.2: much more frequently) both had persistent 4G disconnect problems on Verizon. It tends to occur about twice (or more) a day: around 8am and 11pm (plus at other times as well). "Network Type and Strength (under Settings)" shows 4G signal remains strong during the disconnect. Rebooting obviously restores the connection immediately. Instead, I quickly toggle Flight Mode on and off, which re-engages whatever system service responsible for holding 4G connection. This suggests to me that a modification within Android could easily overcome this disconnect issue even it the problem stems from Verizon's 4G handshake architecture (read: This Is Why Your Verizon Galaxy Nexus (Or Other 4G LTE VZW Phone) Is Losing Its Data Connection). Only if Google is aware of this issue and the solution.

blueglacia

Reaction score
Verizon 4G disconnect issue affects all 4G devices

How is this related to thunderbolt problems from 2011?
This is a wide spread issue with Verizon 4G affecting all 4G capable devices with varying degree of frequency and severity. It does not appear limited to one model or one year, unfortunately. I am just trying to be helpful to others as I have already spent several days worth of time trying to solve this in vein.

azules9780

Reaction score
Exactly! I have the same issue with my GNex and my solution is the same as the previous response. It's a Verizon issue, not a phone issue.

blueglacia

Reaction score
Exactly! I have the same issue with my GNex and my solution is the same as the previous response. It's a Verizon issue, not a phone issue.
Right. It really does appear to stem from Verizon 4G infrastructure engineering. But, I believe device manufacturers could overcome this by forcing the reconnect from the OS side. This is evident from the fact that reboot or flight mode toggle temporarily fixes it. I don't expect Verizon to do anything after many years of neglect on this issue. So, I am hoping Google would add a tweak to new Android versions. But, it is also unlikely as they will look at this as a Verizon issue. So.. we are stuck and hope for the best. Different devices seem to react differently. Maybe, my next phone would have less of a problem with this. I am thinking to keep my phone on 3G, in the meantime. I would prefer slow but steady service over fast unreliable one.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's not Verizon issue, it's a phone issue. I fixed it by flashing radios from jb 4.1.1 on top of jb 4.2.2. No more sporadic 4g drops.

If it was a Verizon issue, you would see threads about it on every page of every forum and it would effect millions of users.