Verizon, AT&T and Comcast Won't Sell Your Browsing History

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
isps-we-care-about-your-privacy-pinky-swear_37m1-640-jpg.77328

Last week the US Senate voted to overturn a rule that prohibited ISPs from selling your internet browsing history to the highest bidder. The House of Reps also voted to eliminate the same rule. While this could potentially be a gold mine for ISPs it turns out that several of those ISPs have already promised not to sell your personal and private information.

Gerald Lewis the chief privacy officer of Comcast stated that they did not sell the information of customers before the FCC rules, and won't do it now. They will also be revising their official privacy policy to make it clear that they won't sell your browsing history.

Verizon also said they have not and will not sell your private data to other companies, but did clarify that they have two programs that utilize your browsing history and data internally that can be opted into. The programs include Verizon Selects Advertising, and a program that aggregates insights for advertisers. AT&T also released a statement of their own and won't be selling browsing data.

Hopefully more ISPs will step up and make the decision that is best for the consumer. If your ISP won't join in on this trend you may want to vote with your dollar and leave.

via AndroidAuthority

Attachments

• isps-we-care-about-your-privacy-pinky-swear_37m1.640.jpg
    isps-we-care-about-your-privacy-pinky-swear_37m1.640.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 2,409

kinfolk248

Reaction score
I hope people realize that this is a crook of sssss right! Because if all these companies are not going to do it and are not going to sell it then the bill would not have been overturned and wouldn't have been opposed when 44 first implemented it. And to say they have an opt in program, what's it called...oh yea it's called Verizon and their super apps that have been collecting data for years behind everyone back. What a joke smh.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I hope people realize that this is a crook of sssss right! Because if all these companies are not going to do it and are not going to sell it then the bill would not have been overturned and wouldn't have been opposed when 44 first implemented it. And to say they have an opt in program, what's it called...oh yea it's called Verizon and their super apps that have been collecting data for years behind everyone back. What a joke smh.
Exactly, that info is obviously worth a lot of money. They have been hinting at for years having billboard technology that can advertise based on your searches. We already see it now in ads on our phones. But they want to have it where when you look at a billboard it will literally show your searches as well as the nearby store and cost.

That will be huge for the ad industry as well as other companies. If they are willing to spend billions on a 30 second Superbowl ad then they have proven they are willing to spend money to gather and push information.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seems like you all think like I do. My first reaction to reading the article was "yeeeaaaaa....Riiiiiggggghhhtttt" :confused:

ticketbabe

Reaction score
isps-we-care-about-your-privacy-pinky-swear_37m1-640-jpg.77328

Last week the US Senate voted to overturn a rule that prohibited ISPs from selling your internet browsing history to the highest bidder. The House of Reps also voted to eliminate the same rule. While this could potentially be a gold mine for ISPs it turns out that several of those ISPs have already promised not to sell your personal and private information.

Gerald Lewis the chief privacy officer of Comcast stated that they did not sell the information of customers before the FCC rules, and won't do it now. They will also be revising their official privacy policy to make it clear that they won't sell your browsing history.

Verizon also said they have not and will not sell your private data to other companies, but did clarify that they have two programs that utilize your browsing history and data internally that can be opted into. The programs include Verizon Selects Advertising, and a program that aggregates insights for advertisers. AT&T also released a statement of their own and won't be selling browsing data.

Hopefully more ISPs will step up and make the decision that is best for the consumer. If your ISP won't join in on this trend you may want to vote with your dollar and leave.

via AndroidAuthority
I don't care about my browsing history..I care that they are selling my damn cell phone number to every Tom, Dick & Harry who calls me while driving, shopping, working & getting a physical! Should be illegal.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

kinfolk248

Reaction score
I wonder why they didnt publicize this bill, like they did some of the others, all over TV and on twitter to show the 'great' work... Hmmm....

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't care about my browsing history..I care that they are selling my damn cell phone number to every Tom, Dick & Harry who calls me while driving, shopping, working & getting a physical! Should be illegal.

Android 7.0 lets your block numbers natively. If you don't have 7.0 create contact called spam and add all spam numbers to it. From options select send all calls to voice mail and never be bothered by them again.

redoregon

Reaction score
Y'all are freaking out and losing your minds for no good reason. The monopolies aren't lying, they're telling the absolute truth. They aren't going to sell your data, they've put it in black and white and it's part of the privacy agreement. No way are they going to sell your data, just isn't going to happen.

They never said anything about leasing it.....

ticketbabe

Reaction score
Just found a great spam call blocker: Hiya. It's working really well blocking numbers not in my contact list..my phone doesnt ring...love it!! I'm still mad that I even need such a thing

Reaction score
Isn't all of this in violation of privacy laws? To me it seems as though the Feds voting to overturn the prohibition of selling your searches is in contradition to privacy laws. Furthermore, if they are going to over thrn it, se need to be aaked if it is OK to sell our data. If we say no, and our info was sold, there should be a hefty fine and a settlement awarded to those whose info was sold against their permission.