AT&T & Verizon Selling Your Personal Data to Advertisers; Here's a Method to Stop it

Quantumstate

Reaction score
Old News.
To -you-. But obviously not to multitudes of others.

I've never used Verizon or AT&T because they dove into this Bush warrantless wiretapping without questioning it. Qwest and TMobile resisted, so that's who I went with.

And no, as a matter of fact I don't use G**gle, Facebook, or Twitter. Startpage.com is every bit as good as G**gle, and I don't really have the time for (nor see the point of) the other two.

I'm probably misunderstanding you on this, but considering that I'm playing for my service with Verizon we should never had to opt out of that service to begin with. I think on anything your paying for you should have to opt in.
You're right, of course. But they do it because they -can-. People let them get away with it, out of complacency and ignorance. They will do -anything- they can get away with. It's the old 'my neighbor was arrested but they didn't come for me (yet)' attitude.

jaybogg

Reaction score
Question? Are the ad banners used on this forum interest based or are they completely random? If they are interest based, do we have the option to opt out? I personally have no problem with interest based ads, since they are probably more attuned to me than just getting random crap. I do question how much anonymity and privacy are kept intact in this data mining done by many sites/companies.

vatothe0

Reaction score
Re:

Question? Are the ad banners used on this forum interest based or are they completely random? If they are interest based, do we have the option to opt out? I personally have no problem with interest based ads, since they are probably more attuned to me than just getting random crap. I do question how much anonymity and privacy are kept intact in this data mining done by many sites/companies.

It's fairly easy to treat this actually. Visit a site you don't normally go to like the NFL Shop or a big jewelry site, Ford.com etc. Then browse back to this site. Are you seeing ads related to sites you were just on? If yes, then they are using cookie based retargeting.