Verizon Android Phones can't receive MMS

Are you able to receive MMS on verizon using any OTHER app but the stock messaging one.

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been doing some research, for the past few weeks I've been unable to receive ANY MMS on my phone.

at first I thought it was textra SMS so I contacted their support and it turns out there's an issue with verizon and some of the apps not being given proper permissions.

I've now tried 6 different text messaging apps
  1. Textra SMS
  2. Chomp SMS
  3. Android Messages
  4. Handcent
  5. qksms
  6. Evolve SMS
So far NONE of these will allow me to send or receive mms the ONLY app that will is the stock messaging app, and app I've refused to use since day 1 as it doesn't have the ability to give a dark theme among other issues.

I'm wondering if anyone else with verizon has been having these issues, according to the textra sms support said they've been getting reports daily about this and that the are currently unable to fix it.

So I'd like to know from the members here if they are having issues, if you've found a workaround and if you have please post it here.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I've used Yaata and can receive & send MMS unless I'm on WiFi. I actually have less problems with MMS using Yaata than I do using Verizon's message+.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Awesome yaata is working.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Super! Was worried it may have been a glitch with your phone but apparently not. It's surprising that so many text apps have problems with MMS.

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Super! Was worried it may have been a glitch with your phone but apparently not. It's surprising that so many text apps have problems with MMS.

It's something in the apn settings and mms being routed properly inside of android not talking to the vzw servers... At least that's what I've managed to figure out.

The built in app has more access to the proper settings over other apps... I'm guessing yaata uses another way of pulling mms and it works where this old way won't.

Might be a problem in the most recent Android update too

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know you said you don't like to use the "stock" VZW message app because there's no dark theme, but if you mean Message+ you can in fact customize your color schemes to just about thing you want.

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I know you said you don't like to use the "stock" VZW message app because there's no dark theme, but if you mean Message+ you can in fact customize your color schemes to just about thing you want.
I removed message+... I don't want to give verizon anything more than I have too...

I actually hadn't tried it yet either.. completely forgot about it until someone mentioned it here.