V-Cast

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
I am sorry if this has been asked and answered. I did a search and I can not find anything that answers my questions.

First let me explain I am kinda a newbie. I had the Dinc for about 5 months with one hardware issue after the next. After they sent me out the 4th Dinc and another issue came up, they asked me if I would switch to a different droid (X - 2 or the Samsung). So I picked the X.

When I had the Dinc and I plugged it in to my laptop I had the options of mount as disk drive, charge only etc. There was an option on the Dinc if you went into the programming (##778) and there was a way to check load as CD enable/disable. (not having the phone anymore I don't remember what setting it was in. But it is not an option on the X. (unless maybe rooted?)

Bottomline my problem is... everytime I plug the X into my laptop, on Charge Only, it loads the V-Cast Manager, opens a web page, before I installed the V-cast Manager it would open up my dvd viewing software. I can't see the files on the X the only drive that I can view is is the SD card.

Is this normal? do I have another bad egg? Is the only way to fix this is rooting the phone? Do I have to use the V-cast Manager to transfer files?

Any info is greatly appreciated. sorry for such a long post to get to a few minor questions.

Thank you

dtsig

Reaction score
I remember having the same issue and i *think* that if you right click the v-cast icon in the launchbar (system tray) you will see an option to stop loading it. If this isn't correct i am sure someone will pipe in

Last edited:

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
Oh man i remember stopping this awhile back ago. But the V-cast thing popping up when on charge only should not happen only on pc mode or whatever it is. But no you dont need to use that program to transfer files. If i remember correctly the way to remove this is on the tray icon that pops on the lower right corner if using windows. You right click on it and there should be some settings/options and there should be the option to stop that from loading that when plugged in every time. You can transfer files by mounting the sd card with the USB mount option on the phone when u plug it in. then you can browse the files on the sd card and put music,pics, or videos in that.
Hope this helps any. :)

scf

Reaction score
Look in the tool tray on your pc. Find the motorola "M". right click. Click on "automatically load" then click on "nothing".

OP
MysticalDreams

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
I appreciate everyone telling me how to shut down the V-Cast but that is only part of the problem.

Is this normal to have to use V-Cast to transfer files? Can't I just copy and paste or drag and drop from my computer connected as disk drive.

Do I have another bad egg? Because I can not mount as disk drive, mass storage, I can only do charge only or windows media sync

Is the only way to fix this is rooting the phone? Do I have to use the V-cast Manager to transfer files?

other issues involve pictures randomly being deleted, entire folders.
When I do try and connect as mass storage it keeps trying to prepare sd card and always making that connection tone (like every 10 seconds)
Alarm clock some days it rings other days it just vibrates

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone telling me how to shut down the V-Cast but that is only part of the problem.

Is this normal to have to use V-Cast to transfer files? Can't I just copy and paste or drag and drop from my computer connected as disk drive.

Do I have another bad egg? Because I can not mount as disk drive, mass storage, I can only do charge only or windows media sync

Is the only way to fix this is rooting the phone? Do I have to use the V-cast Manager to transfer files?

other issues involve pictures randomly being deleted, entire folders.
When I do try and connect as mass storage it keeps trying to prepare sd card and always making that connection tone (like every 10 seconds)
Alarm clock some days it rings other days it just vibrates

First question...Have you installed the Motorola Drivers for the Droid X from Motorolas website?--->Motorola 4.7.1 Driver with MotoConnect*<---
I would download that driver pack, install it, and then reboot your PC. After booting back up, then plug your phone in via USB cable and see if the problem persists.

Fact is, there is absolutely NO REASON you should be forced to use V-Cast for anything. Thats why there are 4 options listed for the USB connection on the phone...so that you have options of how to transfer/sync files.

Try the driver pack and let us know if it helps or has no effect and we can go from there...

maderschramm

Reaction score
You need to change the setting on the phone itself man. When you plug your phone in there's a notification that pops up on the phone. Pull down the dropdown, click on the notification, it'll give you some options. You want to select "Usb mass storage".

OP
MysticalDreams

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
You need to change the setting on the phone itself man. When you plug your phone in there's a notification that pops up on the phone. Pull down the dropdown, click on the notification, it'll give you some options. You want to select "Usb mass storage".

I am not sure who this message is directed towards but it has really nothing to do with the issues that I was asking about.

maderschramm

Reaction score
Actually, its exactly the answer to your question. When in usb mass storage your phone and sdcard work exactly like an external hard drive, meaning vcast is pointless

OP
MysticalDreams

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
Actually, its exactly the answer to your question. When in usb mass storage your phone and sdcard work exactly like an external hard drive, meaning vcast is pointless

I don't want to get into an argument over this. But again I will state your solution, as it was, has nothing to do with the problem at hand. I know how to change the settings on the phone, and I stated as much. That was not the problem. The problem is/was no matter what setting I had it on V-Cast and/or other Moto software loaded on the computer. It is software I have no desire on using.

maderschramm

Reaction score

I don't want to get into an argument over this. But again I will state your solution, as it was, has nothing to do with the problem at hand. I know how to change the settings on the phone, and I stated as much. That was not the problem. The problem is/was no matter what setting I had it on V-Cast and/or other Moto software loaded on the computer. It is software I have no desire on using.

I guess I'm just confused to what your problem is then. Looking at your post:

You should be able to mount it as a USB mass storage device by changing the setting located on your phone when you plug it in. If it won't mount, are you getting an error or something? What version of windows are you using? Is it a OEM cable or third party?

When you plug in your phone it should display a popup that says "USB Connection Enabled". Pull the dropdown menu down and select the notification. There should be 4 options:
PC Mode
Windows Media Sync
USB Mass Storage
Charge Only

If you select "USB Mass Storage" the drivers should install and then a pop up window should display that allows you to browse the removable disk in folder format.

Do you not see these options or something?

Do I have to use the V-cast Manager to transfer files?

No. In USB Mass Storage mode you can drag and drop file onto your sdcard while plugged in with the usb cable without any other software (besides drivers of course).

As for the V-Cast app, it should auto-install when you have the phone plugged in as PC Mode. PC Mode is made for users who want to use vzw software to transfer files

Last edited:
OP
MysticalDreams

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
ok... Since I have posted this I have managed to stop the V-Cast from loading up (but if I uninstall it the web page pops up so I will leave it as is for now, atleast it is no longer loading) however....

You should be able to mount it as a USB mass storage device by changing the setting located on your phone when you plug it in. If it won't mount, are you getting an error or something? What version of windows are you using? Is it a OEM cable or third party?

When I mount as storage, the notification bar keeps saying preparing SD card, like its a rolling message every 10 seconds and it never connects. If I select 'windows media sync' so far I have been able to drag and drop files.
I know it is not right that I can't connect as mass storage, but if windows sync will do it all then I guess I am OK with that, if not what am I missing out on?

With the Dinc when you would load as mass storage (disk drive) it would load 2 external drives, so to speak, the phone and the SD card. The X I am only able to see the SD card in the windows sync mode. is that normal to only see the SD card regardless of the connection? not being able to see files on the phone? would rooting make a difference?

The cable is OEM I am running Win Vista
I really just hate extra software like V-Cast, it just makes for more steps that I don't need to waste my time with LOL (Sorry)

maderschramm

Reaction score
I've avoided installing v-cast so far on my new computer - how, I'm not quite sure, I've never connected it as PC mode or windows sync yet - could be why.

You can't view the internal phone files without root (and even with root you can't mount anything but the sdcard files from windows, you'll have to use root explorer or file expert to view those files).

V-Cast is bloatware included with the most current drivers, doesn't surprise me as they put bloatware in everything.

What version of android are you running? You should see the USB Mass Storage option...it's build into android so it seems unlikely it's a 'bad egg'

Try connecting with USB Mass Storage on a different computer - could be a computer problem

if it still doesn't work

try unmounting and mounting the sdcard manually by going to settings->sdcard and phone storage->unmount,mount, plug it in

if it still doesn't work

try formatting the sdcard by going to settings->sdcard and phone storage-> unmount sdcard->format sdcard

Last edited:
OP
MysticalDreams

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
Android 2.2.1 System Ver 2.3.340 (just updated today)

Knowing that you can't see the X (without rooting and the root explorer) makes me feel a lil better. I know there would be a difference between the Moto and the HTC but I feel like I am starting all over again. I thought it would be like using FF vs IE or something along those lines and instead its like the difference between and Automatic and a Stick Shift. Neither is difficult, just different.