USPTO Delivers Holiday Package to Google.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
images

The United States Patent and Trademark Office delivered one final (rejection) package to Google. This one comes at Oracles expense. According to
Groklaw: "On December 20 the USPTO issued a final rejection in the ex parte reexamination of Oracle's U.S. Patent No. 6,192,476. All of the claims of the patent were subject to reexamination, including Claim 14. Claim 14 of the patent was the only claim being asserted by Oracle in this litigation.

In its final rejection the USPTO rejected 17 of the 21 claims including all seven of the patents independent claims. Oracle claimed that Android violated a number of patents and copyrights within Java, which Oracle acquired through Sun Microsystems. Foss Patents wrote that Oracle claimed "irreparable harm" caused to Java due to the "continued migration of device manufacturers and application developers from Java to Android." The full Oracle vs Google claim can be read here.

Oracle still has until February 20th, 2012 in which to seek reconsideration or appeal of the final rejection. Either way it's not looking good for Oracle right now

Source: 9 to 5 Google

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well good. I really like Android and don't wanna see them having any issues that could hurt it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its good in a way but still doesnt mean that google is winning. that means 4 confirmed patents. :frown: (not to say Google is violating them though) 4 is enough, lol, 1 would be enough....

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to say, this was the first patent claim document I've read that I actually understood. Kudos to the Oracle attorney team for a great job at writing it. However, I fail to see how Google has infringed on those patents and has done "deliberate, and in recklessdisregard of Oracle America’s patent rights".

I'll be following this one to see how far Oracle takes this.