using Verizon HTC One abroad (unlocking and using on GSM network)?

angelman

Reaction score
I have a Verizon HTC One and am confused about if I can use it abroad. I think it supports GSM as well as CDMA. Theoretically could I just buy a prepaid GSM sim card and put it in instead of the 4g one I have now? I care more about voice than data abroad.
I don't want to sign up to whatever BS international plan Verizon has as I am quite sure it will be stupid expensive (maybe I am wrong).
Can the phone be unlocked to allow pre paid sim cards to be used? Does rooting the phone help in any of this (I assume rooting is completely different to unlocking the phone for use on another network).

Way.Off.Target

Reaction score
Not trying to hijack this thread - but I have a similar question. Did you ever get your answer? VZ told me I can use my phone overseas. I think that means it must be GSM capable right? I have a Moto Bionic.

Thanks in advance for any help.

OP
A

angelman

Reaction score
sadly as you can see nobody responded. I am fairly sure most modern verizon smart phones have GSM and are capable of being used overseas. Indeed I recently went to Guatemala and my phone started sending me text messages saying it was connecting to the local network. I immediately put it in aeroplane mode, last thing I want is to have Verizon charge me insane sums for using a foreign data network.
What I want to know is can I put in a foreign sim card in the phone and have it work (almost certainly not) or can I get the phone card unlocked to use on a foreign carrier (also unlikely to be honest).
A GSM phone you buy here you can get unlocked either by the carrier or most small shops abroad can unlock any phone and then you can put whatever local sim card you like in.
rather than use your domestic carriers usually rip off international roaming rates.

Not trying to hijack this thread - but I have a similar question. Did you ever get your answer? VZ told me I can use my phone overseas. I think that means it must be GSM capable right? I have a Moto Bionic.

Thanks in advance for any help.

OP
A

angelman

Reaction score
Seems like CNET has something to say on the matter. I am going to find a friend with att or T-Mobile and try this out!

The prodigal daughter: Can she bring her Verizon LTE smartphone to AT&T? | Mobile - CNET News

sadly as you can see nobody responded. I am fairly sure most modern verizon smart phones have GSM and are capable of being used overseas. Indeed I recently went to Guatemala and my phone started sending me text messages saying it was connecting to the local network. I immediately put it in aeroplane mode, last thing I want is to have Verizon charge me insane sums for using a foreign data network.
What I want to know is can I put in a foreign sim card in the phone and have it work (almost certainly not) or can I get the phone card unlocked to use on a foreign carrier (also unlikely to be honest).
A GSM phone you buy here you can get unlocked either by the carrier or most small shops abroad can unlock any phone and then you can put whatever local sim card you like in.
rather than use your domestic carriers usually rip off international roaming rates.