Using Droid Outside

nooter99

Reaction score
Now that some warm weather has arrived (Michigan) I find myself using the phone outside more often. But I gotta say, it's somewhat difficult to see the screen in the sunlight. I have brightness set to maximum but still not easy to see. Anything I can do about that? Also, is battery drain significantly higher at max setting as opposed to say 50%?

gszeman

Reaction score
Are you using a screen protector? Some of them are better than others when it comes to reducing glare. The stock ones that come in a 3 pack from VZW are horrible...useless if there is any type of outside light. The Zagg is a bit better, but I want to try one that is truly an anti glare...

As far as the brightness is concerned, I would guess yes, since the majority of what most people say eats their battery is the screen.

OP
N

nooter99

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm using the invisible shield by Zagg also, which I really like for protection, but doesn't seem to help with the sunlight issue. I'm not even sure it's a glare problem as much as an actual brightness problem. I guess I'll just have learn to live with it.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
yes battery drain is significant compared to 50%.

I have a zagg shield on mine and am in CA, so glare can be a problem. Usually I have it on max when i'm outside, and sometimes still struggle to see, but usually i'm never in direct sunlight, so to speak.

Stretch2m

Reaction score
Sadly, screen protector issues aside, the Droid TFT LCD screen just doesn't perform well in bright sunlight, and there's nothing we can do about it.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sadly, screen protector issues aside, the Droid TFT LCD screen just doesn't perform well in bright sunlight, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Yes, this is what I've read. It's a beautiful screen but the one negative is using it in the sun. Maybe buy a baseball cap? You could put a droid patch on it. Could be pretty cool. :greendroid:

iPirate

Reaction score
Don't wear white shirts?

I have no problem with my droid in the sunlight ...

ExactDroid

Reaction score
I experienced this with the droid as well.... it was non readable in the sunlight and even when trying to shade it... the incredible solved this issue though... it's great in the sunlight.

MyDroid23

Reaction score
Now that some warm weather has arrived (Michigan) I find myself using the phone outside more often. But I gotta say, it's somewhat difficult to see the screen in the sunlight. I have brightness set to maximum but still not easy to see. Anything I can do about that? Also, is battery drain significantly higher at max setting as opposed to say 50%?

Give this screen protector a shot. It's a little thick, but it gets the job done. Google SGP Steinheil Anti-Fingerprint / Anti-Glare LCD Screen protector for Motorola Droid A855

lterry913

Reaction score
agree the SGP Steinheil Anti-Fingerprint / Anti-Glare LCD Screen protector for Motorola Droid A855is the best ...my son took the second one that came in my pack...feels a lil different but clean in appearance and less glare...also if you put phone on auto bright wouldn't it go to max bright only when needed therefore saving you some battery...just a thought... got my screen protectors on ebay btw.