Useful Devour Root VERY close

camperdave

Reaction score
UPDATE: Root instructions posted HERE!

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you all know -

I'm very close to achieving a useful root hack for this phone.

Specifically, the Droid X root exploit works fine already!

(Namely, the rootshell executable that exploits hotplug)

However, the version of the su binariy packed with that release doesn't work properly, and a few pieces of the instructions need to be changed. Stay tuned for more info, and hopefully someday soon, a custom recovery image :p

OP
C

camperdave

Reaction score
Status Update:

So, small status update: I don't have Superuser.apk and that binary working quite yet, but I do have the oldschool "Magic Android Apps" su binary working, if anyone is interested in that.

While it's not 100% perfectly rooted, the fact that I can type "su" and get a su-shell implies to me, that today, the Devour is officially rooted.

I'm still working on Superuser.apk (aka whitelist su) stuff, so I'm putting it to your guys - should I post instructions for the Magicandroidapps su, or just wait until the safer whitelist su is working?

OP
C

camperdave

Reaction score
Preliminary Root Instructions

So, I'm still working on porting Superuser.apk (and it's whitelist) and a custom recovery image, but here's the preliminary rooting instructions.

Once you've finished these, you'll have a Devour with the Magic Android Apps su binary, that will allow any root app to work.

Step 1)
Download the attachment, and extract it. Then, from that folder do the following commands:

Step 2)
adb push su /sdcard/su
Step 3)
adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals

Step 4)
Open an ADB shell

Step 5)
cd sqlite_stmt_journals
Step 6)
chmod 755 exploid

Step 7)
Hold the power button so you can see the options to toggle bluetooth and wifi.

Step 8)
run "./exploid" in the shell. Once it says it is started, toggle both bluetooth and wifi from the menu.

Step 9)
That program should exit, and then type into the shell "rootshell". Once it prompts for a password, enter "secretlol"

Step 10)
Your prompt should change to a #. When it does, paste the following command:
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system

Step 11)
run the following command:
dd if=/sdcard/su of=/system/bin/su

Step 12)
run the following command:
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

That's it, you're rooted! Now, there's a few things you COULD clean up, but until I get the whitelist version of SU ready, I'm going to suggest you not remove rootshell, so you have a second way ready.

Attachments

• Prelim-Devour-Root.zip
    51.2 KB · Views: 740

bnelson76

Reaction score
Thank you for your work on this. I love the Devour phone but hate the motoblur and the seemingly lack of support from motorola. I eagerly await your progress.

OP
C

camperdave

Reaction score
Those directions are slightly different than mine - at least in the details. Those are the DroidX root instructions, pretty much word for word.

Notice how in my instructions, you need to mount mtdblock1 rather than mtdblock3. I've also not had a ton of success getting the Superuser.apk app running on 1.6, though I'm currently looking for older versions of it source that didn't depend on libbinder.

Anyway, I'm not claiming either way is better - but I know for a fact my way works, and I'm not certain that his mount is correct.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Lots of good news in the rooting community lately it seems.

Congrats on your progress!

bnelson76

Reaction score
Those directions are slightly different than mine - at least in the details. Those are the DroidX root instructions, pretty much word for word.

Notice how in my instructions, you need to mount mtdblock1 rather than mtdblock3. I've also not had a ton of success getting the Superuser.apk app running on 1.6, though I'm currently looking for older versions of it source that didn't depend on libbinder.

Anyway, I'm not claiming either way is better - but I know for a fact my way works, and I'm not certain that his mount is correct.

Have you tried this Superuser.apk: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

It was posted on the AndroidForums.

OP
C

camperdave

Reaction score
So, I did speak to bitswitch over on AndroidForums, and while I have not yet tested the binaries, I'm assuming they work as well. You would have to replace the su binary and re-chmod it as well.

I'm kind of lazy to test it, because I'm working on getting the ancient Devour 1.6 source setup, so I can put moto's changes over it, and make an attempt at recovery.

OP
C

camperdave

Reaction score
So, a quick update.

I WAS going to test a brand-new recovery image I made, but unfortunately, I am a little slow, and accidentally destroyed /dev/mtd/mtd1, rather than /dev/mtd/mtd5.

For those of your paying close attention to my root instructions above, mtd1 is the system partition. Oops!

Now my girlfriend's phone doesn't boot so well, and unfortunately, without the image I just made on the recovery flash.... even the spare Devour I have lying around for backups won't be able to be applied.

Well, I guess this means I'm out of the scene until tomorrow, when I try to get the phone fixed.

(I'm in trouble now!)

OP
C

camperdave

Reaction score
Computer, because you need to push them to specific locations.

However, you may wish to use the other set of files.

(Girlfriend got a new Devour, once I get around to activating it, I'll finish up work on the custom recovery image.)

Pacholski

Reaction score
Hi all. Im new to droidforums, and i want to root my devour. But for some reason i cant even get past the 2nd step. Every time it try to run the command, it says its not recognized. I set up ADB already also. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.