Use of 3rd part tethering applications prohibited

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I pay for the 3G and I'm going to use it however I please. I hardly ever tether, but I certainly will whenever I need to. I obviously won't be downl

Agreed. I still have never even managed to use 4 of my 5 GB/month. Last month I used 2.193 GB. I tether discretely.

Its not the ones being smart with it that is the issue. If u barely crack the 5g mark then you not the problem. Its those reporting they use darn near 20gs a month
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

cplus

Reaction score
I pay for the 3G and I'm going to use it however I please. I hardly ever tether, but I certainly will whenever I need to. I obviously won't be downl
Agreed. I still have never even managed to use 4 of my 5 GB/month. Last month I used 2.193 GB. I tether discretely.
Its not the ones being smart with it that is the issue. If u barely crack the 5g mark then you not the problem. Its those reporting they use darn near 20gs a month
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Good lard!! 20GB?? Who are these ignorant people?

PS- Ive discretely tethered since back in the day with my Prepaid LG Chocolate I.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
How is verizon planning on cracking down on it; did they say. I am sure they can speculate from the people using 20 gigs a month when the avg user uses 5-8. Because with the droid, since you can use desktop agent on a lot of the browser, and now that browsers like skyfire uses flash. How can they tell you are tethering since the droid can literally spend 24 hrs pulling info from the web.

The privacy policy states that they can examine the destination and type of data to monitor compliance with the terms. Unless you use encryption and a proxy they will be able to see netflix streams, java applets, flash apps, and any other things not supported on the droid.

They might be starting with the highest bandwidth users because, from what I've heard, they are charging tetherers by the MB. Verizon has an incentive to go after the big bandwidth users if this is true. Who knows if they'd ever care about low bandwidth tetherers?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How is verizon planning on cracking down on it; did they say. I am sure they can speculate from the people using 20 gigs a month when the avg user uses 5-8. Because with the droid, since you can use desktop agent on a lot of the browser, and now that browsers like skyfire uses flash. How can they tell you are tethering since the droid can literally spend 24 hrs pulling info from the web.

The privacy policy states that they can examine the destination and type of data to monitor compliance with the terms. Unless you use encryption and a proxy they will be able to see netflix streams, java applets, flash apps, and any other things not supported on the droid.

They might be starting with the highest bandwidth users because, from what I've heard, they are charging tetherers by the MB. Verizon has an incentive to go after the big bandwidth users if this is true. Who knows if they'd ever care about low bandwidth tetherers?

In other words use freaking common sense. stay away from sites the droid can note support; ie, netflix, blockbuster, or any thing dealling with downloading of music, movies, or tethering xbox.
As far as flash..........not quite my friend check out skyfire.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
As far as flash..........not quite my friend check out skyfire.

Skyfire can play flash video, but it doesn't support flash apps, like a facebook game, for example.

Also, I'm not sure how skyfire plays flash video. They may proxy it and translate it into a codec that the droid understands, in which case there would be no downloads of flash over verizon wireless.

rcfx

Reaction score
I talked to a verizon lady in customer service this morning, was asking about 'do I need to worry' what is tether', had the dumb hat on for her, she read from a paper that said they are looking at people using between 7 and 10 gigs a month. FWIW ...had another agent a few weeks ago tell me 'unlimited' is 'unlimited'.

OldNuc

Reaction score
I suspect "unlimited" means unlimited as long as you comply with the contract terms. Looking at customers with monthly usage in the 7->10GB or greater range is a reasonable bet that something outside of contract terms is going on.

Just checked the Verizon site. Special sale on smartphone Mobil Broadband Connect, $10.00/mo -> $25.00/mo for 5GB depending on the rest of your calling plan..

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I pay for the 3G and I'm going to use it however I please. I hardly ever tether, but I certainly will whenever I need to. I obviously won't be downloading torrents with it.

Please understand there is NOT a data cap for Droid/PDA/Blackberry users at all, it is UNLIMITED. Only if you subscribe to a data card will you be capped.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I talked to a verizon lady in customer service this morning, was asking about 'do I need to worry' what is tether', had the dumb hat on for her, she read from a paper that said they are looking at people using between 7 and 10 gigs a month. FWIW ...had another agent a few weeks ago tell me 'unlimited' is 'unlimited'.
I spoke to a former co-worker who works in tech support at VZW, he said he has not received a memo at work concerning cutting down on people using their Droid to tether. He also did not hear of any memo saying they will look into anyone using 7-10 GB data/month.

If you're using tether....please use your noodle.