USB Connection to PC--Definitive Answer?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
@Pyro, tried following your directions (I knew how to get into this screen from manually updating to 2.0.1), but when system recovery comes up, my only options are reboot system now, apply sdcard:update.zip (which reminds me I can delete this any time now), wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition.

Below that, it says E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

Any advice? I've tried twice now with the same result.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what Pyro is referring to but, you CANNOT make a nandroid backup without SPRecovery by SirPsycho...the options for "backup/restore" or "advanced backup" will NOT even be there in the menu unless you have the custom recovery screen....

Pressing the volume up plus the camera buttons are you how you enter the DEFAULT recovery screen that comes with the phone...for SPRecovery you just hold the x button plus the power button to get into recovery and then you just go from there

So I don't know if Pyro is just confused or what but that isn't correct...

So Jonny, evidently you do not have the SPRecovery image flashed to your Droid...you will have to do that first before you can make nandroid backups and perform restores

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Nate, I see. Thanks for clarifying. Is there a good reason to use SPRecovery other than rooting? I'm not currently rooted and don't plan to at least until 2.1 comes and I get bored...Haha!

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, I mean the MAIN reason to have SPRecovery, is to have a "safety" net to fall back on when flashing custom ROMs and/or modifying certain things that may brick your phone. Having this custom recovery image on the phone, makes ALL these things possible. It makes it to where you can do all these things and try things through "trial and error" basically....I would have already bricked my phone a few times had I not had SPRecovery to save my a$$....seriously

But for you Jonny, if you're not going to be doing any of those things, then no, there really is no reason for you to have it. Because you won't be doing those things, means that there is no need to make a backup or anything like that....

So you're already safe! :)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Alright. That's what I thought. MIGHT give rooting the old college try if 2.1 doesn't show within the next month...Haha! The more I poke around here the more I get the urge. I love messing with things and customizing...We'll see how it all pans out. Glad to see that 2.1's rooted or at least has a good chance of being so...

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I would say that 2.1 will definitely be out within the next month....I'm like 90% positive lol but you still never know with them....

I'm choosing to stay rooted and keep all goodies lol cause the official 2.1 will not match what my phone can do....no way. And the custom ROMs of 2.1 will be what I am excited about....thats what I am waiting on! woot woot!!!