Urgent!!! Please help

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
You are right that he can not go backwards from .210 that is correct.

However using the .211 fastboot files is not the way to move up to .211 from .210.

Best way would be to use Utility 1.7 and sideload the files and have the .211 update zip on the external sd card and install through stock recovery.

Exalted911

Reaction score
I did apologize for the guy that was on gb and i gave the same advice to. S y d m a n is 100% right that would of bricked his phone. But this is not the same case.

jaybogg

Reaction score
You guys are missing the point. He's basically on 2 1 1 now. He's got the 210 leak same bootloader as 211. It will restore 2 1 1 on his phone our on his case upgrade it. I would be saying this if i hadn't already tried it. Have you guys tried it??

I see your point and you are probably correct in that you have the actual experience. I also see Sydman's point and feel you might have been a clearer about .210 and .211 being virtually the same. I am sure Sydman's concern is that less experienced users and those casually browsing will miss this point and brick their phones. Thanks for the clarification. it makes sense to me now.

Exalted911

Reaction score
Yes i agree. Someone could read my reply and think that. And i know that sydman is trying to prevent the poor guy bricking his phone. But if he's on 210 likes i was. M a t t s utility will restore 211 because 210 and 211 are basically the same thing. S y d m a n is right i did tell someone that was still on gb the other day to use m a t t s utility to get 2 ics don't know what i was thinking. But that advice i gave him was wrong.

OP
J

joshvader8

Reaction score
You are right that he can not go backwards from .210 that is correct.

However using the .211 fastboot files is not the way to move up to .211 from .210.

Best way would be to use Utility 1.7 and sideload the files and have the .211 update zip on the external sd card and install through stock recovery.

I did try putting .211 on the SD, I keep getting a side load error. I've tried over and over again and nothing seems to work

OP
J

joshvader8

Reaction score
Oh and i really appreciate everything guys, no need to argue, I am just going to call in a replacement on Monday :) if they refuse I'm going to have to just go back to my droid 3... But thanks again!!

Exalted911

Reaction score
Don't give up just yet. Use Matts utility. I had 2 1 0 and i went to 2 1 1. You can't side loaded because you can't go to 211 from 2 1 0. You need Matts utility for that.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Like the OP said, no need to get heated about this.

I'll say in defense of everyone, that you are all right in one way our another.

First...versions;

.75, .79, .84, .85, .208, .209, .210, .211, .214, .215

Second, the .7X versions were apparently reversible, meaning you could revert back to Gingerbread if you so felt inclined.

.8X versions apparently incorporated a new Kernel, and since the bootloader is locked on these phones and there isn't a way to revert to the earlier Kernel, once you flashed to the .8X versions, you said goodbye to Gingerbread permanently.

.2XX versions prior to and including .211 are apparently all Fastbootable to .211. Since Matt's utilitys going back to 1.6 all incorporate the same 6.14.211 Fastboot file, I believe any of them can accomplish this task, including 1.8 & 1.81.

There are some references to "unstuck", which remedies some of the transition restrictions between versions, but I believe the most relevant is from .214 to .211.

.214 apparently requires going back to .211 before flashing to .215.

What I am sure of is that you can RSDLite back to .211 from .215 using the .211 Fastboot file, so it also stands to reason you can do the same with the 1.81 utility.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wish I could give you 100 "likes" on this one FoxKat because prior to this explanation, I was so darn confused. Thank you!

So if someone is stuck on this error like joshvader, what would the best solution be?

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Exalted911

Reaction score
Wish I could give you 100 "likes" on this one FoxKat because prior to this explanation, I was so darn confused. Thank you!

So if someone is stuck on this error like joshvader, what would the best solution be?

it all depends on what leak your stuck in. He's on 210 wish means that he can i use Matts utility to go back to 211. You can do this only if your on leak 206 or higher. In theory if your on 84 or 85 it should work as well but I've never tested doing that with does so i don't recommend. Anything lower to 84 you would have to use Matts utility to go back to gb and then o t a to 211. This is because the older ics leaks used the same bootloader as g b. But starting on 84 they started using a different one.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
One piece off info I didn't know before from Matt.

"FB file might... the only thing is the official FXZ leak does not include webtop, so I could see that becoming an issue. I purposely removed the cdt.bin from the Droid Razr Utility 1.8/1.81.

If you used the ICS FXZ AND my 1.81 they should be on ICS 211 however."

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

If it were me, I would use RSDLite and follow the same method I used in the thread that you followed here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...sion/216737-ics-leak-215-a-4.html#post2198150.

This is a certain method to flash .211 which I believe can be used from any version since .84, and as said before, since it's the method preferred by Motorola I feel a certain level of extra comfort using it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
One piece off info I didn't know before from Matt.

"FB file might... the only thing is the official FXZ leak does not include webtop, so I could see that becoming an issue. I purposely removed the cdt.bin from the Droid Razr Utility 1.8/1.81.

If you used the ICS FXZ AND my 1.81 they should be on ICS 211 however."

This is a situation where I would again point to RSD Lite as the preferred method. Don't get me wrong, Matt's utility as said before has been a life-saver for countless hundreds, potentially thousands or more (tens of thousands, hundreds...who knows), and I am in that group as well. The only thing that concerns me about the utility is that due to various versions of the OS and Kernels, and then various versions of the Utility, there presents an opportunity for confusion which may cause someone to make the wrong choice. Each version has its own unique purposes, and each version works in some situation but not in others.

Beyond the immense care and work in research, development and testing to be sure his utility works, Matt also takes tremendous care in preparing notes for each version released which explain all the unique features and situations under which his utility will perform, but then you have to first read them thoroughly and understand them. All you have to do is read the threads each time a new one is released to see how easily inexperienced members can misinterpret the information presented. It seems no matter how detailed and how well laid out it is, and no matter how many warnings are provided regarding what NOT to do, somebody will inadvertently do something wrong and then it's a major catastrophe that everyone gets involved in trying to fix.

Given that Matt's utility is used by perhaps hundreds in the first few days immediately after release, it's virtually impossible for him to reply to or be involved in assisting each and every member from the (several? - I know of at least two) forums he is posting the utility to, and help them get back on track, yet amazingly he still does seem to manage to jump in and comment at key points when necessary. There are certain things his utility can do that can't be done with any known method using RSD Lite, such as "unstick", so his work is invaluable in that respect.

There are also many things that can be confusing about RSD Lite, both in getting it configured properly with drivers, getting the phone to be properly recognized, using the right functions, making sure that the wrong functions are not accidentally activated, (it's far more powerful than most will ever utilize, and can be dangerous if mishandled), and finding and connecting to the Fastboot file for flashing, and since many people here are not technically savvy, Matt's utility takes all that and puts it into a menu driven "rootkit", along with other useful utilities such as root, Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, and more, so that even the technically inept can perform highly technical processes by simply hitting a number on the menu.

This is why I did the recent roll-back to .211 while on the forum in a play-by-play. I was not even sure that it would work but was willing to give it a try for my own benefit and the benefit of others.

The following is directed at no-one, but everyone:

So to reiterate, let's not stand around and point fingers so quickly at who is right or wrong, remember we've all been on both sides of that situation at times in our lives. I know we are all apprehensive and want to be sure we don't unknowingly misdirect someone, so caution is certainly warranted, however we may find that what we were absolutely sure was one way, is in fact not exactly the way we thought. We are essentially making root level changes to the phone with both Matt's utility and with RSD Lite, as well as by using ADB commands (for the truly brave), even if we're not rooted, so the potential for irreparable damage and a resulting bricked phone is always there. The key is to not proceed unless we are 100% sure we know exactly where we are first, where we want to be, and what needs to be done to get from A to B, and that we can follow instructions to the letter, and that we read, read again, and when we understand, then we read again to be 100% SURE we understand, that we NOT proceed if there is any unanswered questions, and that we can confirm through the successes of others that our planned route of attack is without landmines.

Let's continue to work as a team, and if you feel a team-member, known or unknown (as we're all in this together), may be giving advice that's potentially inaccurate, simply advise the OP or whoever is being helped to remain where they are while the confusion is worked out, then do the research yourself, as I did. Google is your friend, and although this is the best forum out there IMHO, there are other brilliant minds who are at home elsewhere (Motorola's forums, DroidRZR.com, AndroidForums.com, forums.XDA-developers.com, the list goes on and on). Glean what you can and need to either confirm what was being advised is accurate, or isolate the information that details the flaw in the advice and provide the necessary solution. And always, any advice given when doing any kind of flashing, should come with a disclaimer from you that the one whose phone is being worked on should also research to further validate the information you are giving and become very personally familiar with it before proceeding, as it is 100% their responsibility if the advice given is wrong or not followed properly and results in undesirable consequences.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yes I believe I was being overly cautious for that very reason, I didn't want the OP to brick his phone as I am sure no one else did.

I jumped to a conclusion from my experience in another thread that I probably should not have, and appears I was wrong.

I don't like giving advice for something that I have not seen work myself or have seen a trusted source on here give the same advice. Which is why I never recommended fast booting from either of the latest leaks until it was tried by FoxKat.

But you can not learn new things unless you are willing to admit your previous way of thinking could be incorrect. So if that is the case here I do apologize to Exalted in this matter.

However I would still tend to agree with FoxKat on using RSD lite and the fast boot files directly over the razr utility if the OP still wants to give it a try. Again I never knew the web top file was removed when using the utility.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes I believe I was being overly cautious for that very reason, I didn't want the OP to brick his phone as I am sure no one else did.

I jumped to a conclusion from my experience in another thread that I probably should not have, and appears I was wrong.

I don't like giving advice for something that I have not seen work myself or have seen a trusted source on here give the same advice. Which is why I never recommended fast booting from either of the latest leaks until it was tried by FoxKat.

But you can not learn new things unless you are willing to admit your previous way of thinking could be incorrect. So if that is the case here I do apologize to Exalted in this matter.

However I would still tend to agree with FoxKat on using RSD lite and the fast boot files directly over the razr utility if the OP still wants to give it a try. Again I never knew the web top file was removed when using the utility.

Sydman, NOBODY was wrong. Your reactions were for all the right reasons, so you can never be blamed for being wrong. If you saw someone apparently drowning and jumped in to save them, would anyone question your intentions if it turned out they weren't in distress? Certainly not me...I would have been right behind you to help if I wasn't already in there mysef.

And to Exalted, you also realize this can be slippery slope as you admitted to having advised someone prior but were not fully aware what version they were on, and again, although the one whose phone it is - is ultimately responsible, I am sure you felt a certain level of remorse. We've all given bad advice, but just as I said to Sydman, it was for the right reasons, so don't be so hard on yourself about it, and don't let it make you defensive in the future if your advice is questioned.

We all wanted one thing...to fix the OP's phone issues. A debate is healthy and as long as it stays a debate, everyone will benefit.

I see no fault in anyone's actions in this thread. Emotions can get the best of us at times, so try to contain yourselves and don't forget to use emoticons to convey "feelings" where they are not obvious or easily conveyed in text! :biggrin:

The same sentence can be interpreted several different ways, and without facial expressions, body language, tone and inflection of voice, eye contact, etc., you are leaving the other side to "hear what you are saying" by looking at black lines on a white background - i.e. no gray. There's perhaps as poor as a 50/50 shot that they will interpret as you had intended. As they say, the Devil's in the details...:icon_ devil: