Upgrading from Thunderbolt to Razr Maxx

kevins686

Reaction score
I've had my Thunderbolt since May of 2011, and I'm at the point where I'm sick of constantly losing data connectivity and I'm tired of the random reboots; mostly, however, I'm sick of running out of juice after 4 or 5 hours of light use. So after haggling with Verizon's executive office, it seems they're going to allow me to upgrade early to the Maxx. Everything I've heard about this phone is great, and if it gets me through an entire day on a single charge, I'll be happy.

However, the woman I spoke with this morning explained that by upgrading to a new device (and thus renewing my contract), I'm going to lose my unlimited data, which is a real sticking point for me. The woman at Verizon with whom I spoke with this morning said that if I were to acquire a Razr Maxx other than through an early upgrade, that my current contract would remain in force, thus preserving my unlimited data. Does that mean that as long as I don't take a device upgrade through Verizon that my current contract will remain in force indefinitely, thus preserving my unlimited data? As you may have gathered by this point, I'm very keen on preserving my unlimited data.

So best-case scenario, if I can acquire a Razr Maxx through other channels, thereby keeping my current contract terms, what's the best way to go about getting one? I'm seeing the phone on Amazon for 99 bucks, but there's obviously some sort of catch there.

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
You have the right thought process. The phone at Amazon is only 99 dollars if you are adding a line or upgrading. If you click on the buy button and then select just buy phone, no contract I believe it comes out to 650 or so.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I've had my Thunderbolt since May of 2011, and I'm at the point where I'm sick of constantly losing data connectivity and I'm tired of the random reboots; mostly, however, I'm sick of running out of juice after 4 or 5 hours of light use. So after haggling with Verizon's executive office, it seems they're going to allow me to upgrade early to the Maxx. Everything I've heard about this phone is great, and if it gets me through an entire day on a single charge, I'll be happy.

However, the woman I spoke with this morning explained that by upgrading to a new device (and thus renewing my contract), I'm going to lose my unlimited data, which is a real sticking point for me. The woman at Verizon with whom I spoke with this morning said that if I were to acquire a Razr Maxx other than through an early upgrade, that my current contract would remain in force, thus preserving my unlimited data. Does that mean that as long as I don't take a device upgrade through Verizon that my current contract will remain in force indefinitely, thus preserving my unlimited data? As you may have gathered by this point, I'm very keen on preserving my unlimited data.

So best-case scenario, if I can acquire a Razr Maxx through other channels, thereby keeping my current contract terms, what's the best way to go about getting one? I'm seeing the phone on Amazon for 99 bucks, but there's obviously some sort of catch there.

If you want to keep your unlimited data, you can't get the phone as an upgrade by signing a new two year contract through any retailer, including Amazon. Amazon is basically an authorized retailer for Verizon. If you have to sign a new contract to get it, you'll lose your unlimited data. I've read online where some people have been able to keep their data, but I wouldn't count on that. Officially, anyone signing a new contract has to move to a tiered data plan, regardless of what retailer the contract/phone come from.

What you'll have to do is either buy a new RAZR MAXX off contract at full price from Verizon (which won't require you to sign a new contract) or buy a new or used MAXX from a private seller via various online forums, eBay, Swappa, Craig's List, Amazon, or another similar place. You'll be able to activate that device on your account without signing a new contract.

WawaRulez

Reaction score
I would concur with sweetness on the entire statement. This is precisely why I took two upgrades prior to the "data shared plan" coming into effect last month, on two out of my three accounts. My mother has a Krazor flip phone (no data plan) and my daughter and I have smart phones with data plans, so I took my mothers upgrade, and my daughter and I got Razr Maxxs. Then at home I took my own upgrade online and pre-ordered the Galaxy SIII and never activated it (still NIB). dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid (beat them at their own game). Now I can technically upgrade whenever I want to the Galaxy SIII whenever I want without losing the unlimited data plan, plus my mother keeps her filp phone without data.

OP
kevins686

kevins686

Reaction score
So I guess the only way to get my dirty mitts on a Razr Maxx without losing my unlimited data is to pay full retail somewhere. I don't see myself buying a used one off somebody online.

But I just talked to Verizon (again), and it turns out I've rarely approached 2 gigs of data usage, so the 2GB plan might be workable if I did bite the bullet and give up unlimited. I kind of cringe at the thought of it, but I really do want out from under this Thunderbolt.

Decisions, decisions . . .

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Don't be so leery about buying used. Lots of people selling minty mint devices out there. Check out Swappa.

Swappa (Android) Buy Droid Razr Maxx (Verizon)

The good thing about Swappa is when you pay via Paypal you get buyers protection. Also only like new devices with clean ESN's are allowed to be sold on there.

Another option would be to add a line. After you get the Maxx switch it to your current number and then put a dumb phone on the new line. That is what I did to get the Droid X two years ago.

Caesars

Reaction score
Another option is to buy a razr, then do the Manuel upgrade to the maxx battery :).

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
I got rid of my Thunderbolt and never looked back. I love my Razr Maxx, But I got mine before the new rules went into effect. So I got to keep my unlimited on my Maxx on my switch over.

fito_l4

Reaction score
I can confirm that as long as you bring your own device for activation then you will retain your unlimited plan. I purchased a RAZR Maxx on eBay about a month ago, activated it on my account, and retained my unlimited data. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would concur with sweetness on the entire statement. This is precisely why I took two upgrades prior to the "data shared plan" coming into effect last month, on two out of my three accounts. My mother has a Krazor flip phone (no data plan) and my daughter and I have smart phones with data plans, so I took my mothers upgrade, and my daughter and I got Razr Maxxs. Then at home I took my own upgrade online and pre-ordered the Galaxy SIII and never activated it (still NIB). dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid (beat them at their own game). Now I can technically upgrade whenever I want to the Galaxy SIII whenever I want without losing the unlimited data plan, plus my mother keeps her filp phone without data.

Confused on one point....When you used your mom's upgrade to a smartphone, didn't they have to add a data plan? Then you did an equipment swap, moving her number back to flip phone...Does that get rid of need for data plan without early termination fees? I assume it would, as you are just changing her plan, not terminating it....

But how did you get 3 phones with 2 upgrades? Did you pay full price for one?

Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2

WawaRulez

Reaction score
Confused on one point....When you used your mom's upgrade to a smartphone, didn't they have to add a data plan? Then you did an equipment swap, moving her number back to flip phone...Does that get rid of need for data plan without early termination fees? I assume it would, as you are just changing her plan, not terminating it....

But how did you get 3 phones with 2 upgrades? Did you pay full price for one?

Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2

Sorry if it was confusing.
I never put the Razr Maxx on my mothers line but used her upgrade for my line. Her account stayed the same except now she needs to wait to upgrade the same as my daughter and myself.
Three phones on my plan. Mom has flip phone (Krazor no data), daughter has Motorola X (data plan), I have Samsung Fascinate (data plan). OK so far? While at Verizon My daughter upgraded her phone to Razr Maxx (still data plan), I took my mothers upgrade and applied it to my phone line to Razr Maxx (still data plan for me). The computer database now shows my mother upgraded her line (still Krazor flip phone with no data), while my line shows I updated my phone with a Razr Maxx. NOT upgraded but different phone (which is now the Razr Maxx). So in all actuality I used my mothers available upgrade on my line. Even though the account states she upgraded (she actually stayed the same, but it appears as though she upgraded). Then when I get home, I used my upgrade on my line to pre-order the Galaxy SIII, so now it states I used my upgrade for that. I paid the discounted price for it as it was technically (in their eyes and data base) my upgrade on my line. My line had data, upgrading to another smart phone kept it. Now if and or when I want to activate the Galaxy SIII for an "upgrade" I wont lose my data plan (unlimited) because I am technically replacing the phone on my line as opposed to upgrading it. The Galaxy SIII was released after the share data plan garbage, but I did all of the stuff right before the change. I essentially did THREE upgrades on TWO lines in reality, but their database shows all THREE upgraded. Is that any clearer?

Ken_55

Reaction score
I can confirm that as long as you bring your own device for activation then you will retain your unlimited plan. I purchased a RAZR Maxx on eBay about a month ago, activated it on my account, and retained my unlimited data. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

What's the process of activating the phone you bought on eBay? Can you just take the 4g card out of the old phone and put it in the one you bought or do you have to have Verizon do it? Thanks!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
You simply insert your SIM card into the phone and it will activate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
You simply insert your SIM card into the phone and it will activate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

they changed it? when I was at Verizon a few months back they told me when I remove the sim its useless... I never tried it myself

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk