Upgrading from Liberty GB to Liberty3

LTsmooth42

Reaction score
I'm currently running the latest Liberty GB on my Droid 2 at the moment. Do I need to reflash my phone back to stock before I install Liberty?

Or can I use the Liberty Toolbox to simply upgrade directly from GB?

Also, is Liberty3 based on Gingerbread?

Thanks! I searched the forums but coudn't find anything

GrandWazoo

Reaction score
Before I get into the advice, I have to say the top thread in this forum section tells you everything you need to know about installing liberty 3. The title is even "[ROM] Liberty 3 For The Droid 2 11/04 - It's Time For A Revolution!." It's fine if you didn't look for a thread, but so many people put "I couldn't find anything when I searched" in their posts when the answer is only one or two threads further down the forum.

Now on to the help.

You need to SBF back to stock froyo so you can get the official gingerbread update. Liberty 3 is based on that update, whereas liberty gb was based on the leaked gingerbread. Once you have the official gingerbread release, root your phone and install liberty 3 via clockwork. That's it.

OP
L

LTsmooth42

Reaction score
Before I get into the advice, I have to say the top thread in this forum section tells you everything you need to know about installing liberty 3. The title is even "[ROM] Liberty 3 For The Droid 2 11/04 - It's Time For A Revolution!." It's fine if you didn't look for a thread, but so many people put "I couldn't find anything when I searched" in their posts when the answer is only one or two threads further down the forum.

Now on to the help.

You need to SBF back to stock froyo so you can get the official gingerbread update. Liberty 3 is based on that update, whereas liberty gb was based on the leaked gingerbread. Once you have the official gingerbread release, root your phone and install liberty 3 via clockwork. That's it.

I'm not sure why you assumed I didn't read the sticky. I read the entire sticky, here's the bit about installation which says nothing about upgrading from liberty gb:

make sure you have root and Clockwork recovery installed
boot into recovery via Recovery
select "wipe data/factory reset"
select "Yes -- delete all data"
go back
select "install zip from sdcard"
select "choose zip from sdcard"
find and select LibertyXX.zip
reboot

Anyway, I figured I would have to SBF back to stock, but wasn't sure so I did it anyway.

Thanks.

droidhammer

Reaction score
I was able to upgrade directly from Liberty GB to Liberty 3. I do not know if I will regret it in the future, but time will tell.

I joined the forum just to answer your question today and in the time it took me to answer, GrandWazoo showed up. Where were you when we needed you? :)

Droid 51

Reaction score
Do u have to use a computer to flash back to froyo or can u just do it from clockwork like normal

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

adamwhitehead

Reaction score
Do u have to use a computer to flash back to froyo or can u just do it from clockwork like normal

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

If your on a gb kernel you must sbf to a froyo build, I have yet to see alternate method, but given today's devs I wouldn't be surprised.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Last edited: